News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Trafficwarning July 26,27 oswego harborfest concides with pirate weekend @ faire

Started by Lady Amy of York, July 16, 2008, 09:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

Hey  guys, for those who are not aware of it, Oswego   , the big town/city  alot of us  drive  thru on our way  to Sterling  is having  it's anual harborfest  the same  weekend as pirate theme weekend   ( July 26,27) at faire.   Their  harborfest draws alot people  and  traffic  form all over. Plus  they are having Joan Jett and  the Blackhearts giving a free concert Saturday.

I advise everyone  driving to faire that weekend  to avoid  going thru Oswego. they already said  certain roads  will be closed.

Two years ago when i went to Sterling  I was unaware that it was also harborfest weekend, and  I  accidently  hit the harborfest in Oswego.   I sat in traffic   for  2 hours  in Oswego !   What usually takes me 2 hours  to get to faire turned into about 4  and  a half  hours !

So i figured i warn  everyone !

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

IndeanaSunday

Actually... Traffic will be even worse this year. There used to be two bridges over the river and now one is closed for renovations. There are all sorts of new lanes created, some are no left turns, some are right or left turns only, there are one or two new one-way streets... it's chaos.

But there is good news!!

Joan Jett is actually playing Friday night (at 9:30pm), and there are no real headliners on Saturday. Saturday night at 9:15 will be the Fireworks (which, BTW are coordinated to music and are pretty darn cool). The traffic will still be pretty bad, but you can always use the water taxis to get from one side of the bridge to the other: http://www.wstm.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=158370

I'd recommend getting to the Festival early and maybe having a tailgate party or some such to pass the time. Oh, and definitely take West 8th street, 5th Ave, or Hillside Ave to get to Utica St. and vice versa to get to 104. Those are the only three with street lights. The ones without lights take at least 3 or 4 times as long to get through. And that's without Harborfest going on.

Best of luck to all those commuting!!

UPDATE: Here's a little map thinger I made to help everyone out. If anything is unclear, just ask and I'll try to clarify for you. :-)

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: IndeanaSunday on July 16, 2008, 10:50:56 PM
Actually... Traffic will be even worse this year. There used to be two bridges over the river and now one is closed for renovations. There are all sorts of new lanes created, some are no left turns, some are right or left turns only, there are one or two new one-way streets... it's chaos.

But there is good news!!

Joan Jett is actually playing Friday night (at 9:30pm), and there are no real headliners on Saturday. Saturday night at 9:15 will be the Fireworks (which, BTW are coordinated to music and are pretty darn cool). The traffic will still be pretty bad, but you can always use the water taxis to get from one side of the bridge to the other: http://www.wstm.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=158370

I'd recommend getting to the Festival early and maybe having a tailgate party or some such to pass the time. Oh, and definitely take West 8th street, 5th Ave, or Hillside Ave to get to Utica St. and vice versa to get to 104. Those are the only three with street lights. The ones without lights take at least 3 or 4 times as long to get through. And that's without Harborfest going on.

Best of luck to all those commuting!!

UPDATE: Here's a little map thinger I made to help everyone out. If anything is unclear, just ask and I'll try to clarify for you. :-)

Thanks for the map ! I hit the bridge closings last weekend  and had to take a slight detour around. Yea, i would deffinitely suggest  to everyone  to head early  to the faire.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling