News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How far have you gone for faire?

Started by Valiss, July 17, 2008, 04:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

Let's see, I once drove like 7-8 hours with a small guild to go to a small faire in the middle of nowhere. It was raining so it took us a bit longer than that to get there.  We left Friday afternoon and arrived around midnight, did fair for the weekend, then turned around and drove back. It rained almost the whole faire.  All in all I think we were at faire almost as much as we were on the road!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Well so far it's 93 miles or about 1.5 hours. But if all goes well I will and Toki will be driving 1011+ miles for one. (TRF or BUST)
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Valiss

At that point, and with gas the way it is, wouldn't it just be cheaper/faster to fly?

Zatahra

The farthest I have traveled was to Houston for Texas Renaissance Fair, about 375 miles from home. Went down on a Friday, attended the faire on Saturday and drove back on Sunday. It made for a very enjoyable (but tiring) weekend. Although that was quite a few years ago, I would like to do it again if I can get my car converted over to electricity or steam  lol

Lady Nicolette

I've traveled from Nashville to Houston for TRF (and the first RenDevous)...

That's not the longest around here by a long shot.  I think that Festmum has the record, since she now is traveling from BWI (British West Indies) when she attends Faire.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

sealion

I travelled from Michigan to Florida to attend BARF. (But I'll admit BARF was a side trip, not the main reason for visiting Florida.) Our "home" fair is two hours away from home.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Valiss

Oh I hear that.  My "home" faire is 4.5 hours away.

Cobaltblu

ALL THE WAY!!!

But seriously I have only been to one faire so far which is a three hour drive, one way.

I would drive up to say 6-9 hours to attend a faire assuming I would stay at a hotel the night before the faire.  However if I was waking up early to drive to attend the faire the same day I would say 3-4 hours is the maximum drive I would do assuming I will spend the night after the faire at a hotel and would not have to drive back in the evening.  I don't think I would take a flight to attend a faire.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Julianne

The Marquis and I are dedicated and devotional fans of MNRF.  We travel over 2,000 miles each Labour Day Weekend to share in the joy of the renaissance festival with the great and true and wonderful friends that we have there.   We bring our best and greatest friends along with us when we (and they) can.

Isn't that what we are all about?  It's never about how far we travel but what great friends we have met along the way. 
That quality of life could never be measured in a question such as this...it is of an infinite value in my mind and can't be measured in mileage.

I'll go to the ends of the universe for my slice of heaven on earth.

Taffy Saltwater

To Scarby, from Houston it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive, as I recall.  It's around an hour from home to TRF.  Lady de Laney, when are you planning to visit TRF?  SQUEE! - I look forward to meeting you and your better half.
Sveethot!

maelstrom0370

Well...it used to be about a 45 min car ride.  NOW, it's a 10 min bike ride, 20 min ferry boat ride, 3-4 hour car ride, a night at the parents and THEN a 45 min car ride.  Repeat in reverse to get home again.

Master James

Well for a regularly scheduled faire its 8 hours to Carolina Renaissance Faire in Charlotte once a year, but we are currently planning on visiting Kansas City Renaissance Faire in October of this year assuming that the prices on gas mellow some.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Athena

Farthest for me was from Cleveland to Tampa to attend BARF. I flew, and the whole trip centered around the faire, though I loved the warm weather and going to the beach in March.  8)

I would absolutely travel long distances to attend faire, but chances for next year currently look slim with gas prices and the spike in airfare.  I'd love to go to one of the California faires someday.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Valiss on July 17, 2008, 05:08:39 PM
At that point, and with gas the way it is, wouldn't it just be cheaper/faster to fly?

Yes it is cheaper, but how do you get a Farthingale and swords on a plane and all the garb. When you where a noble dress that fills a storage box on it's own, then that makes it harder.Toki and I plan on finding 2 to join us. So far we have 1 almost definate and 1 possible. The gas for each is much less than a flight. A flght non stop is about $250 one way, then there is a rental car from Houstan to TRF and back and forth as we are sleeping in a hotel that we we get better rst and can have hot showers.

In the end driving is cheaper. Now if it was me all alone, flying would be it and I'd have to find me another plane just to cary my dress LOL
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Escarlata

The furthest faire I've been to is Shrewsbury in Oregon, 3000 miles from home. I have to admit, though, that I was going to Seattle for a conference. I chose to fly in to Portland, go to faire, drive on to Seattle, and then drive back to Portland to come home.

Of course, for me getting there is as much fun as the destination. That trip also included driving the Coastal Highway, the Bremerton Ferry, and Pike Street Market. But it was faire that took me through Portland instead of the direct flight to Seattle.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time