News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How far have you gone for faire?

Started by Valiss, July 17, 2008, 04:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

Quote from: Lady Kett on May 05, 2011, 08:34:21 PM
A coworker of mine from Edmonton, Alberta who was in town came with us to Scarby last weekend. That's 2178 miles according to Yahoo Maps!

Wow that's got to be some kinda record for a non-flight journey to a faire!

Lady Kett

Quote from: Valiss on May 06, 2011, 01:04:11 PM
Quote from: Lady Kett on May 05, 2011, 08:34:21 PM
A coworker of mine from Edmonton, Alberta who was in town came with us to Scarby last weekend. That's 2178 miles according to Yahoo Maps!

Wow that's got to be some kinda record for a non-flight journey to a faire!

Well she flew from Edmonton to Dallas on the Company nickel, LOL. We just took her from Dallas to Waxahachie! :)

Dustin

We drove over 600 miles to go to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival. We were headed to Tennessee anyway, but we left a day early and went halfway across the state from where we were headed. After spending a little over half the day at the faire, we left just before the thunderstorms moved in and drove 180 miles to the Knoxville area, our actual destination.

The longest distance we've travelled just for faire is the 200-or-so mile drive (each way) to Bristol. We also usually make the 95 mile trek (each way) to Stronghold. I'd like to make my first visit to Des Moines this year, which would be a 170 mile drive (each way). Other possibilities for next year if scheduling and finances work out are Dubuque at about 85 miles each way, and the Iowa Ren Fest in Middle Amana at little over 80 miles each way.

Forgot to add - we drove over 90 miles each way last year for a Celtic Fest in Cedar Rapids. It will be at the same location as the Iowa Ren Fest this year, so it will be a little shorter drive. If it's not cold and rainy like last year, we might try it again.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

maeven

*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

Valiss

Well so far this season one of the faires we are looking at going to is 280ish miles away. The other 3-4 faires are closer than that, I do belive; closer to the 100-120 mile range. We'll see how my gas budget looks this spring. Haha!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I'm sure I posted earlier in this thread that our longest drive was to BARF in Tampa.  We also drive to TN.  Last Memorial Weekend, we drove to Muskogee, OK for the OK Renaissance Faire, approx 700 miles each way.  Took about 11 1/2 hours each way, with pit stops.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Three faires have been on our annual agenda for three years now: Scarborough (home faire in Waxahachie, TX), Sherwood Forest (near Austin, TX), and Castleton (in Muskogee, OK), and are 360 miles, 490 miles, and 220 miles each way, respectively.

This year will also be our third RenDezvous (if all holds together), and at 430 miles each way will by far be the closest of the three.  The Colorado RF RenDezvous was 944 miles from home, and Carolina RF RenDezvous was 785 miles.

Next year, we'll have to wait and see how things go...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

crimsonbrewer

i decided a couple years ago to include a faire each year for my vacation. i normally travel to ny faire 1-2 hour drive from long island. now i have gone to the following faires

Sarasota
Phoenix 2x
Tampa
NJ Renn faire

Lady Kaalyn

My longest drive has been from cooper texas to TRF its about 300 miles.  I am happy to say I now live 1 1/2 hours closer to TRF so its not such a long drive.  Im an hour from Scarby, which I drive everyweekend to work, im about 5 hours each way from TRF and about 4 hours each way from Sherwood.  I would love to take longer trips but im limited due to my real job there are certin times of the month I cannot take off work and gas costs ( i drive a truck and im lucky to get 20 mpg).  One of these days im going to run away and join the fair.  :p
Texas Renaissance Festival
Scarborough Faire
Sherwood Forest Faire

Prima

For the last few years we've traveled from Idaho to Florida to go to BARF.   According to google maps, that's 2,620 miles via car.  We fly, though.

It just so happens that we have family down there, and the fair goes on around Easter  ;D
"I aim to misbehave" ~Malcolm Reynolds

Rowan MacD

Since I posted in 2010-we've added 2 Celtic Festivals and one Faire to the yearly itinerary.
   The farthest one is/was a 6 hour drive for the Minnesota Scottish Fair and Highland Games in Farmington, Mn. (May 4th this year).
    I would hazard a guess that more than a few MNRF denizens turned up, since we saw more Celts and Celtic wenches in period garb than we have seen at any other games. 
   We did that trip exactly twice, and the second time we took the opportunity to recruit a local to run the tent from then on.   Native Minnesotans can deal with the odd weather in the Spring....and they bring their own Scotch.  ;D
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Alaric

Farthest I have driven is about 5 hours to Sterling

Home faire is Pittsburgh and it is about an hour away

Have went to PARF, GLMF and MD  all are around 3 to 3 and a half hours away.  Usually get a hotel for the weekend.

Lairde Guardn

My wife and I drive to every faire we have gone to.......We have driven as much as 1000 miles in 15 hours and had not reached the faire site yet, and then had to get up early the next morning and head out again.    Don't actually know how far the furthest one was, but know if you see us at faire, we drove and we live in Eastern NC.
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt