News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How far have you gone for faire?

Started by Valiss, July 17, 2008, 04:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Maryland to Scarby for one day of faire.

renfairpirate

From independence mo.to the Sterling Renaissance Festival 1150 miles

Dayna

6 hours, 400 miles one-way from Minneapolis to Bristol, as many of the 9 weekends of the run as I can, so far the number to beat is 6.

It's not the faire closest to my home, but it Is my Home Faire, and worth every penny!!!

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Al-Nimer

We just drove back from Colorado (Mon & Tues), and it was about 875 miles from Castle Rock to our driveway.  We did visit both sets of parents on the way, which added about 110 miles (Mapquest shows it at 764 miles.)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

brier patch charlie

From Little Rock to Plantersville for TRF about 580 miles one way.
Charles Coleman

Lord Clisto of York

As far as driving in distance, these are the top three I have gone -

Arizona Faire - 27.5 hours - 1,779 miles
Sarasota Florida Faire - 20.5 hours - 1,312 miles
Maryland Faire - 18 hours - 1,100 miles

Shortest distance

Bristol Faire - 20 minutes - 30 miles

Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

theChuck

the closest faire is about an hour away, but we're gonna try to get to parf and mdrf, each about three hundred miles away.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Var Greyshadow

Driving - the furthest is Houston to Hammond, LA (outside New Orleans) for LARF.  Furthest overall - loaded myself and ALL my gear onto a flight to Minnesota for the 2007 RenDevous.  I routinely make the 3-1/2 hour Houston-Waxahachie (Dallas) run for Scarborough.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Aiacha

Ditto Var on the Houston-Waxahachie run.  My furthest to just a faire will be Maryland for Labor Day, but I've hit NYRF when I'm up at my parents after Pennsic, which is a 1400-mile plane ride day 1 (to NJ), then a 6 hour drive day 2 (through Penn.).

groomporter

Flew from Mpls to Phoenix to visit friends and see AZRF
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Noble Dreg

Flying can be cheaper than driving...extra days on the road mean extra meals/hotel (unless you 'gonzo' it and arrive tired as heck)  When flying into Denver remember they have accomadations for 'ski-tubes'.  They typically do not charge extra for them or golf bags (check airline policy).  You can get the bulkiest of garb and assorted weaponry in those things!

Biggest thing is time.  Flying can shave days off a trip.  I can leave on a Friday, Faire on Saturday/Sunday, and still be back to work on Monday.  That makes CoRF and TRF possible for me.  They aren't frequent flyer miles, they're frequent Fair miles!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

mehan

Home faire is 3 hours away.... TRF from VA, AZRF from VA, GLMF from VA - and prolly the worst travel was from VA to just TNRF.   

I like Scotsman's theory this year, if it is more than 4 hours, we will fly!

And as far as getting garb/swords - UPS them to the hotel - I actually UPS everything so I don't have to check any bags (but then again, my lil sis owns a UPSStore)

Yrose

From Houston to Murfeesbourgh Tenn.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

raevyncait

Last fall we left on Thursday night and drove through the night to be in North Carolina Friday night so we could hit a Highland Games in Hendersonville on Saturday (Rogues anyone?), and then went on Sunday to Carolina RF, and drove through the night home, arriving Monday afternoon.

This year I'm flying to PARF for a Labor Day IWG invasion, and MDRF the first weekend of October for my birthday.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our "home" faire is 3 hours away, and we can only go on Sundays, so we try to get there at least 5 or 6 times throughout the run.

In May, we drove 10 1/2 hours each way to TN for the RenDezvous/Menage Ette Trois.  Worth every minute of it!

In 2007, we planned our vacation around an invasion of BARF.  Left NW Illinois on Thursday evening after work, got to Tampa on Friday evening, about 22 hours on the road (stopped in the wee hours of the morning for a few hours rest, not counted in the 22 hours).  Spent Saturday & Sunday at BARF, on Monday drove to the east coast of Florida where we used to live, and Tuesday morning began the drive home, got home late Wednesday evening.  It was over 3,000 miles round trip.  A wondrous faire with wonderful people.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich