News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Dark Knight

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, July 18, 2008, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

LIke millions of other crazy movie fans, I went to the Midnight showing of the latest BAtman film...THE DARK KNIGHT. ****

I was more curious as to how the late and brilliant actor, Heath Ledger, took the Joker role. Needless to say, Ledger's performance puts a new meaning to VILLIAN!!! Menancing, amoral, tortured!!  A brilliant performance that is deserving of posthomous awards, even the Oscar!!!

The film is stunning!!! Dark, yet filled with hope for a better tomorrow. Excellent performances from Christian Bale as the tortured and flawed Bruce Wayne.  He gives a deep humanity to the Comic Book hero. Tremendous support from Gary Oldman, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

This is a  film not to be missed!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

Tonight's the night I get pampered by the grandkids. The oldest one is now of age to drive, so for the first time he will drive us everywhere and be on the other end of "Driving Ms. Daisy" as we call it in our family. So after taking him to movies every week of his life, the tables are turned tonight. I get:

1. A 5 star dinner at the resteraunt of my choice
2. Tickets for all of us to seen The Dark Knight at the IMAX theater
3. A second course of onion rings and snacks at Hooters on the way home
4. The traditional King family sleepover where we all slowly die off in front of the big screen TV

It just doesn't get any better.

Friar Rohn

Pipere

I loved it, as a nerd girl reader of a few Batman comics and a general snark at comic book adaptations I have to say that this movie blew my mind. In fact I think they're still on the floor of the theater.

Observations: (Beware, spoilers)

1. Maggie Gyllenhaal makes such a better Rachel than Katie Holmes. Holmes was too much of a girl, she was too pretty I felt. Maggie brings a much more grown-up, hardened version of Rachel that she would need as a woman of the law in a corrupted city like Gotham. Also she felt much more accessable, because while Maggie's certainly pretty, she's not sugar-sweet like Holmes. It's like comparing a girl in an evening gown to a girl in a bikini. When Bruce Wayne was arming those ballet girls in an obvious attempt to evoke jealousy it seemed even more empty and desparate because of Maggie's added soul.
2. I wept when Gordon 'died'. HOW DARE THEY KILL GARY OLDMAN. Nearly cried again when he was 'ressurrected'.
3. I'm jazzed because last year in early June I was in Chicago and saw a large filming setup in downtown, so I'm actually wondering if it might have been filming!
4. Aaron Eckhart- in the past I've wanted to punch you in the face. I'm sorry now. The way that he turned Dent from the noble (and strangely believable for a politician fictional or real) to the deeply disturbed and jilted Two-Face was.. well graceful. It didn't forced, emo, or cliche. The man went nuts and you understand why! Also his burned half was one of the most beautiful disgusting effects treatments I've ever seen.
5. Wow... lots of dog abuse.

And finally, you all know it's coming:
6. When they announced a year and a half or more ago that Heath Ledger- Mr. Period Movie Hotness would be playing the Joker, a theatrical maniac conjuring the marshmallow-esque Jack Nicholson and the deranged voice of Mark Hamil to mind, I thought I would commit geek suicide. The noose lay around my neck until I saw the trailer in December... and then I was a believer when I heard that voice and tried to tie any single TRACE of his normal voice that I had grown up hearing in comedies. Although I feel very cynical (and somewhat guilty) about pinning some of the positive buzz of the movie on Ledger's untimely death.... the man paid the bills. Out of all of the Rogue's Gallery, the Joker was always the one lacking a distinct earthly motivation other than the fact that he was completely batsh-t and loved every second of it. And unlike past movies (and even Batman Begins) his origins aren't really discussed or shown. Sure, he tells people where he got his scars, but the story changes every time, so everything about him is murky. Which is perfect. He was a twisted delight to watch and I found myself disturbed not only with the character, but myself.

Because when you watch the Joker and he kills someone with a catchy line or a cackling laugh.... you laugh too. You wonder why you're laughing at something so terrible, but you realized you've been taken along for the ride. And that's what it's all about, kids.

Wow I talked a lot.
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

Queen Bonnie

From all your comments- I guess I had better see this one!
(I have a cat named Batman! LOL! He bats me with his paw!)
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

knarlyknot

Wow Pipere, you should write movie reviews.  My hubby just said the other day "you know we have to go see it, it's Heath Ledger's last movie"  To which I replied " can't I just watch Knight's Tale and remember him?"  But after reading your review I will definately go see it.  Thanks

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I went a second time to see THE DARK KNIGHT. Watching Heath Ledger's last role was mesmerizing and sad at the same time. He was briliant as the Joker.

Brilliant film!! I forgot to mention that Michael Caine was solid as the faithful Alfred. Thjere was more I picked up the second time around. I weill plan to see it a few more times in the coming weeks.

Can't wait for the DVD to come out even for the Special Features.

Pipere

Quote from: knarlyknot on July 20, 2008, 05:33:27 PM
Wow Pipere, you should write movie reviews.  My hubby just said the other day "you know we have to go see it, it's Heath Ledger's last movie"  To which I replied " can't I just watch Knight's Tale and remember him?"  But after reading your review I will definately go see it.  Thanks

Awww thanks Knarly, I'm glad you decided to go give it a try. Either way it's at least an interesting way to waste two and a half hours.
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

LadyMeg

Can I just add to the madness.... BRILLIANT! 

I'm such a Batman girl.  I mean, girls always have that cartoon crush.  While others were in love with the Prince in the disney movies, I loved Batman.  Does that make me weird?  Dark Knight was picture perfect to the tone of what Batman is and was about.  He was always a man plagued this morals and how he never actually killed anyone but often times was nearly driven to that point.  Batman/Bruce Wayne was always a tortured soul doing good and man, does Christian Bale blow it out of the waters.  All the hype and credit is going to Heath Ledger (who, let's face it, totally ROCKED the part of Joker out of the waters), but I think equal credit goes to Christian for playing opposite such a looney and 3-D villian.  The nuances to those two actors portrayals are so amazing, just the way they speak, turn their heads and the little ticks they added to the characters made all those Batman cartoons I loved come to life in a very realistic way.  I believed Batman, Alfred (Michael Caine is a brilliant and witty Alfred) and the Joker existed.  Even Harvey Dent...  though I knew what he would become, is it so bad that I was hoping they'd messed with the Batman stories and NOT made him two-face? 

And yes... when Joker did those horrible things that made me gasp and cover my mouth in horror... I laughed.  I shouldn't.  But that's the power of Ledger, making Joker into someone who hate, but can't help but feel the charisma of him.  Joker was always charismatic to other criminals and he plays that to a T.

A BIT O' SPOILER

or, not really, just a detail....  Just an example of the brilliancy of Ledger as Joker is when he's walking away from the hospital in the outfit.  I was nearly rolling the aisles with laughter and I loved how he fiddled with the button.  So Batman cartoon... and Wiley Coyote of it. 

Ok... gonna stop raving 'cause I doubt anyone wants to hear anymore, but.... GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!  Even if you aren't a comic book fan, Dark Knight is a uniquely human experience of a hero and a villain who cross so many lines you are confused about who to root for.
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

Had a great time. My niece and nephews spoiled me rotten for once. The movie was outstanding. My favorite scenes were:

(A) The dissappearing pencil trick. Ranks right up there with waking up and finding a horse's head in your bed.

(B) The hospital scene. Ledger had the creepiest walk while fiddling with his remote detonator. He must have rehearsed that over and over to make it right on the first and only take.

Oscar worthy by far and would be shocked if Ledger is not nominated (at least in memoriam).

Friar Rohn

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

According to Box Office Mojo, the opening weekend take was just under $159 MILLION!!!  That's a lot of bucks.

AS of Tuesday, The Dark Knight has already surpassed the $200 MILLION mark. The fastest total for a film released after 5 days. Who knows what the total will be for US Domestic Gross. Close to $500 million???

Quite possibly!!!

renren

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on July 23, 2008, 04:21:06 AM
Had a great time. My niece and nephews spoiled me rotten for once. The movie was outstanding. My favorite scenes were:

(A) The dissappearing pencil trick. Ranks right up there with waking up and finding a horse's head in your bed.

(B) The hospital scene. Ledger had the creepiest walk while fiddling with his remote detonator. He must have rehearsed that over and over to make it right on the first and only take.

Oscar worthy by far and would be shocked if Ledger is not nominated (at least in memoriam).

Friar Rohn
Gotta agree with ya. Friar!
On all 3!
Was fascinating.. from beginning to end!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

maelstrom0370

Having just returned from this movie, I only have three words...

OH MY FRIKKIN' GOD!!!!!!!

I'm gonna come off sounding like a total fanboy, but this movie was perfect.  There's absolutely nothing I would have changed or done any different.  And Ledger's "Joker"....WOW!!  Makes ya go "Jack who?"  Every single actor in that movie OWNED their role.

FortuneRose

Me and my husband went last night to see it.  We both LOVED it!  I have to agree that one of my favorite scenes was the hospital one.  Its funny that his walk was mentioned because when we left my husband was commenting on his walk.  I loved that little bit of a skip he did off of the sidewalk.    Though some of the scenes made me cringe...  that was the whole point of it...  it was wonderfully disturbing!
LLVW

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

$262  MILLION and counting. Should break the $300 MILLION  mark by tomorrow night!!!  Incredible!!!

PurpleDragon

AMAZING, ASTOUNDING, FANTASTIC, DEEPLY DISTURBING, BEST MOVIE THIS YEAR SO FAR.

Oh, and I pretty much agree with what everyone else said about the movie in previous posts.  This was by far the BEST Batman movie released.  (Well, outside of the very FIRST Batman Movie which features such greats as Ceasar Romero, Burgess Meredith, Adam West, Burt Ward, and if memory serves Yvonne Craig was also in that one.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.