News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sherwood Forest Summer Camp... For Adults?

Started by *Teach*, February 10, 2014, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long should summer camp be?

3 days (Friday morning through Sunday night)
4 days (Thursday morning through Sunday night)
5 days (Wednesday morning through Sunday night)
One full week (Sunday evening through Saturday night)

*Teach*

Yes, it very much could be a thing.
For those who may not know I was asked to be the director for Sherwood Forest Summer Camp.
Since then I have been asked (by many) if there could be an adult version. Not x-rated adult... sorry. Adult as in a summer camp where adults could learn those awesome crafts that we see during faire.
The answer is yes. Yes it can happen.
I am going to be doing a bit of research and that will be starting today.
I need to things from you though. First an unofficial poll- please answer the question honestly. The length of the camp needs to be that perfect balance of not to long and not to short. Keep in mind this is during July so heat may play a factor in the decision as well. Also keep in mind that the longer it is, the more the cost will have to be (food, and staff costs mainly)
Second, what classes would you like to see? I have several in mind already including: leatherwork, candlemaking, cooking, belly dance, formal dance, brewing (beer and meade), crossstitching, sewing, acting/improv, art (pottery and painting?), music lessons. Now what have I missed? What classes would you like to take and what would you be willing to teach?

*FYI, unlike the regular camp this one will allow rum at night I'm pretty sure*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

PollyPoPo

Leatherwork, meade and pottery/art would be on my list.

Possibly people might be interested in archery? 

Smithing entails intense fire and might be too impractical from a safety standpoint.

Maybe someone skilled in using a serger (met a lady this weekend, but didn't get name), could give basic demonstrations and help in putting together basic tunics, skirts, capes, etc., with the campers finishing up handwork, trim and embroidery in a kind of quilting bee format.   
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

*Teach*

Smithing is doable. We do a class on that in regular summer camp so I am hoping that the adults could be at least that mature lol. It is a safety thing but the safety is pretty much drilled in from the start so no one gets hurt.

*and they won't let any rum happen in there as well*

KiltedPrivateer

I would really like to take several of those, so I foresee not running out of things to learn in the future for quite some time.

I would throw in sword play.  But not Hasselhoff school of sword acting, but actual historical western martial arts - the basics of course.  At least for year one.  That said, stage combat is an entirely other art form that could also be taught.  But the two should not be confused (o:

My list would be: Leather, Brewing, Archery, Candles.  I can also be part of the sword play duo (You have to have at least two instructors.)
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

*Teach*

I hadn't thought of sword play. Mainly because it didn't seem like you would learn much in a short class like this. I will add that to the list though if you think it would be worthwhile.

*I wonder if my bonus for this will be payment in rum...*

RenStarr

I would add something that revolves around music.  Some might just enjoy classes about period music history while others might enjoy bringing their own instrument and get some hands on instructions.  Maybe even a camp band could be put together!

Then the "this one time at Rennie band camp" jokes could start up! ;D
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

SirRichardBear

Archery, Swordfighting, quarterstaff fighting, leatherworking,  character devoplement, history, pottery, blacksmithing/
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

BryanPopp

This sounds like it would be a blast. Archery, fencing (longsword & rapier), leather working, mead, and Renaissance culture & history.
I take longsword classes already and look to move onto rapier by the end of summer. Here are links to the club/school and the people who supply most of the equipment. Might be useful when planning an adult camp. 

http://www.swordtosword.com
http://www.woodenswords.com/

*Teach*

So the current thought based on votes and logistics is two adult summer camps.
The first would be Monday through Thursday and the second would be Friday through Sunday. You can sign up for one or the other or both if you wish.
It would begin the Monday after the younglings summer camp ends.
Still in the early planning stages but I wanted to toss that out so people can know where the thinking is running.
As for the actual classes... keep those ideas coming! I have no idea yet how many will sign up so I need to make sure and have plenty of options available.

*seriously, this job requires rum on a daily basis*

Crimson

I'm interested in price and logistics.  Would this be incorporated with a gathering?  I would love to take some of these classes but price may be a bit prohibitive to me. 

As for classes, the things that appeal to me are; leatherwork, archery, sewing (not basic sewing but more like using a serger and professional sewing, tips and tricks for "costume" sewing), belly dance, drumming, juggling and maybe firespinning(?).

I can see a sewing class like Polly said as bring your ideas, unfinished projects and sit around collecting input and information on how to finish certain pieces.  I, for one, can visualize a piece but I'm not as good at seeing the piece with great trim.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

maeven

My husband and I were talking about this just as we were walking out of Sherwood's gates on Saturday! He was talking about brewing, chainmaille, jousting and swordplay/fencing as something he would like to do. As for me, I would go for bellydance (I did it before I had Cubette!), crossstitching, (I've always wanted to learn!) sewing, and acting/improv stuff.

*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

scarletnyx

Leatherwork, archery, candle/soap making, sword classes, drumming, maybe some cooking/herb ( As in, you have a cough and mint can help ) classes, book binding/calligraphy/writing classes? Also, HISTORY! I would prefer early medieval to keep in touch with the spirit of Sherwood.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DancingDogDairy

I'm interested in teaching an adult session of spinning and fiber prep. I'm wondering if there are people interested in learning to spin.

I would bring 5 or 6 spinning wheels so campers can have plenty of time to practice. I'd also include (for a materials fee) a drop spindle and 1pound of fiber. I would also teach about hand combing and using a drum carder.

I'm working on my application now, but I saw this thread and wondered if you guys had any feedback.
Genevieve McQuilling
Slave Labor

Crimson

OOH, that is something I didn't think about, spinning!  I would be interested in that.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Traveler

This sounds awesome.  I've been wondering for a while where a person could go to learn some of these things.  I just had a few questions to ask.  1)  I know it's a summer camp, but what kind of camping is it? (i.e. tents, cabins, etc.) I've never been to Sherwood so I don't know what the facilities are like there.  2) Pricing?  I'm a college student on a tight budget, but I would definitely be interested in coming if I could afford it. (Even though I'd be traveling from either Lake Charles, LA or Memphis, TN; depending on where I'm staying over the summer.)

As far as classes go leatherwork, smithing, swordplay, music, acting/improv, archery, cooking, sewing, and quarterstaff fighting have all been mentioned and are of interest to me.  I would also like to add a few suggestions, though I don't know how realistic they would be to do:  Medieval Woodworking, horsemanship, and maybe a class on chivalry/manners & etiquette.

Super excited to here more about this.  ;D  8)
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.  And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. - A Simple Traveler.

JackGonzo, MD

Brewing, Leatherwork, I like the idea of something musical but with a period instrument (or the pipes have always wanted to learn), woodworking and why not, cooking. Though I know my July this year is pretty much booked for a certain period with work. This sounds like a fantastic idea.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Rani Zemirah

I'm sure, based on the pricing for the kids summer camp, that we wouldn't be able to afford this... but it does sound like a LOT of fun!  I think the classes mentioned already sound wonderful, and as an addition to the spinning classes it would also be nice to learn some basic weaving, such as inkle loom and lucet weaving for braids and trim, and also some simple lap loom weaving, as well.  Things people could carry with them and work on wherever they happen to be. 

I like the idea of a camp for kids, and one for adults... but I also think a family summer camp would be lots of fun, especially for those of us who have kids who are really into Faire, and would like to learn a lot of these things along with their parents!  Shared activities are a wonderful way to bond families together, and to keep kids interested in Faire while they grow. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Traveler

I agree with Rani,  a family camp would also be awesome.
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.  And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. - A Simple Traveler.