News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

pirate map

Started by Crimson, February 11, 2014, 04:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson

I want to make a pirate map that I can roll up and put in a leather holder on my belt.  My question is, what would be the best medium to make this.  I want it to be foldable but hold up well.  I will be painting the map on it.  I'm thinking of maybe muslin fabric but then I'd like to treat it with something to make it water resistant and hold the paints well.  Any ideas?
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

PollyPoPo

Depending on what paints you use, you might want artist canvas.

For a roll-up muslin seems kind of thin and flimsy, even treated.  If you do go with fabric, perhaps a canvas instead of muslin.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Crimson

Yes,  I didn't think of artists canvas!  That just may be the best.  Thanks so much, Polly.
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Crimson

Polly, we are going to have to meet sometime this season of Sherwood.  I'd love to meet you!
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

PollyPoPo

I'll be at Sherwood most every weekend barring malfeasance of weather, but Sherwood seems to be immune to the worst of that stuff falling from the sky.   :)

Based on my recent experiences, renfestforum regulars seem to recognize me.  I'm a lot older and bigger than my avatar would indicate, but the colors are pretty accurate.

If you think you see me, just give a holler; I'll probably hear you and slowly turn looking.  The next few weekends I'll be using the campgrounds gate. 

See you there!

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rani Zemirah

Crimson, you might consider parchment, as well... or even a piece of soft tanned leather (like garment grade top grain).  The leather would hold colored inks really well (like calligrapher's pigments), and it would be easy to "age", also. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LordSterben

You've probably finished this project, but just in case anyone else want to make a map...

I made a pirate chart for a customer using a scrap of soft leather from the craft store. I cut the edges ragged and then burned them with a lighter. They curled really nicely and the entire map had a nice authentic look. I also darkened random spots with the lighter after painting the chart.

Voila. Almost indestructible map.

Crimson

I haven't even started on the map yet.  I have so many projects in the works in my head and I'm a planner so I like to know exactly what I'm going to do before I do it. 

I love the leather idea.  I have some leather scraps sitting around the house.  hmmmmmm
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

609wood

Leather or sued is what I would suggest.  Then paint the work with leather dye ans scribe it with leather working tools. The. Cruder the better. Make it look like something a cast away could make out of a goat skin and handmade tools. Then grease it with something like beeswax or petroleum jelly. You can get a cow skin remnant and shave parts of the hair off, scorch parts and make it look cool.

Untreated Parchment paper from a crafts store is another option.just crinkle and worry it till it feels like cloth and draw your map. Then wet parts so the ink runs a bit and seal it ol with krylon poly.

Sounds like a great project.

Crimson

Thanks for the suggestions, 609!  I am a mapper by trade in a pirate persona so me not having a map is just crazy.  I'm going to make a leather cylinder to hang from my belt with the rolled up map inside.  I may just start on this map this week.  I'll post follow-ups as I go. 

Thanks again for all the advice!
Lady Crimson Cadena

TRF

Rowan MacD

Crimson-Don't forget the mappers tools-protractor, compass, small sextant (all available at harbor freight pretty inexpensively in a nice shiny brass).
   You can make a production out of 'updating' your map...
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt