News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

General garb critique/advice

Started by ledtampa, February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ledtampa

so i am very excited that i will be attending a faire once again, after many years since my last visit!...which was nearly a decade ago. and as such, i'm a bit anxious about what i've chosen to wear. i've decided to dress up as a pirate this year, since the weekend i was wanting to attend was Bucaneer weekend at MOSI. and i want to ensure that i won't be ridiculous, or seem like i'm trying too hard.

what i plan on wearing is ankle high black leather boots, which have a nice flat heel so i can walk more comfortably through the day. a burgandy skirt with vertical black ribbons, a white shirt with off the shoulder poofy sleeves, and a black/red halter corset i bought from fredricks.

i'd also like to buy the Leg Avenue unisex pirate hat, a nice big plumey red feather from Michaels/Joannes that i may sew or super glue on. i also have a fantastic leather sword belt, which will be holding a plastic halloween prop sword. i like the paint job, it does look rather like old burnished metal. would this need to be peace tied anyway, even if it is plastic and not sharp in anyway? i'd also like some strings of beads to put in my hair, though i'm not sure if i should make it myself, or buy a few off someone on etsy...how many beads would be suitable, for each side of my head?

i am also increadibly disappointed i cannot bring my bearded dragon on a leash..especially since she has such a lovely princess cone hat she could wear! a dragon princess at a renaissance faire, what could be more fun? but alas.

soo any critque or advice about what i plan on wearing? does it sound like it'd blend in decently? thank you ahead of time for the help, thou kind folk!^^

isabelladangelo

Skip the "corset" - the way those ones are made aren't meant to hold you up for any length of time.  The featherwieght boning it probably has will give out halfway through the day and you'll get gapage and fat rolls of doom. 

Instead, either buy a proper bodice as faire or wear a fitted vest (thrift store!).  The vest - particularly a long one- would be most appropriate.   Actual seafaring murdering thieves (ie, pirates) in the 18th century (which is what most people dress towards although there were pirates in the 16th C: Grace O'Malley for one) would have worn britches, a white long sleeved shirt, and stockings in the winter.  (In summer, they went barefoot onboard according to some accounts).   

As for the sword, double check with the faire's rules - a lot of faires do not allow weapons of any kind (real or imaginary) to be brought into faire.   If they do allow them, it probably does need to be peace tied.

Also, how long is your skirt?   I've noticed a trend lately to wear knee length which doesn't work.  It should be at least ankle length if you want to wear a skirt.  Pirates wouldn't wear such a thing, of course, on board.   You need to climb the rigging for one without be encumbered.  Pants that hit just below the knee work really well for climbing and wadding through water.  :-)

ledtampa

well first off i would like to point out i am not trying to do an H/A outfit. i just do not have the money or time for that, and plus i would not want to do a historical pirate, i'm more in love with the more..romantic type of pirate i guess. XD

also,i was able to wear my corset for the better majority of a day, driving about and doing artistic shopping. so i think the boning will hold up well for the one day! though i would very much like to buy a nice corset at the faire, if i have enough money that is. i'm more concerned if the corset will not stand out too much. this is a link to the corset i have the red is brighter than the skirt i have.

and i did check their policy, it does say weapons are allowed but must be peace tied. so i guess maybe it will..i don't know, i guess i'll find out when i get there! i may just have to leave the sword in my car. and my skirt is indeed ankle length! i'm very very fond of it.<3

isabelladangelo

A) I'd be weary about posting the picture you just did.  Kids do read this board.   
B) Historically Accurate does not mean  spending a lot of money.  I've made plenty of H/A or close to H/A outfits for under $40.  Even a few under $20.  (Including a Norse one I wear on rainy pirate weekends.  The Vikings were pirates!)  Rather, as I found, it's that people don't want to spend the time making something (I normally sew while watching my favorite shows on the tv).   

A bodice would be the most appropriate even if you are going fantasy.  I've seen what those F of Hollywood "corsets" look like from the back.  I have to hold back my hands from going up to some ladies and correcting the symatery (the back lacing always ends up crooked with gapage.  I just want to straighten!  ;D   I could tell you a couple of horror stories but you'd need brain bleach on standby first.  )

And Yay on the skirt!   :-)   I think the rest of the outfit sounds fine for building upon, honestly.  I'd just leave the "corset" off and do a quick run to the local thrift store for a fitted vest for now.   

Sitara

Quote from: ledtampa on February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM
so i am very excited that i will be attending a faire once again, after many years since my last visit!...which was nearly a decade ago. and as such, i'm a bit anxious about what i've chosen to wear. i've decided to dress up as a pirate this year, since the weekend i was wanting to attend was Bucaneer weekend at MOSI. and i want to ensure that i won't be ridiculous, or seem like i'm trying too hard.

While the corset you have is not ideal, it would definitely not make you look ridiculous. Many people wear something similar.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

ledtampa

first i would like to say thank you isabella, i didn't really think of that..i edited the picture so nothing too risque is showing. just the corset. and if there is gapage on my corset, i would not mind at all if you had come up to me and wanted to retie it! i would actually be rather thrilled, but since i am wearing a shirt underneath and no skin is showing, i can live with a gap.

and i unfortunately just can't make anything because i don't have the skills even with help from my father who is good at sewing, so i would have to buy it made by someone else, which can be expensive. and i've been to thrift stores, and rarely see a vest i would consider right for a faire. but the point is, i'm not intrested in doing historical this time around.

and thank you Sitara! i know it's not really the best, but it's all i have.i doubt wearing an all white or all black corset would look good, so i feel i have to go with the red/black for now.

Rowan MacD

I missed the pic, but read the comments-so I will assume it was the 'sexy pirate' look. 
   The Sexy Pirate exists exactly no where outside of a costume store or fetish site;  and is designed for adult themed parties. however, we see it all the time at faire, so do what you want.
   Dressing up is about what makes you happy.

If you are interested in doing something a little less Halloween costume and more family friendly, take a few bucks along to faire, go to a leather shoppe and try on a leather waist cincher.  They are inexpensive, and I think that will be what you will fall in love with in the end.
Instead of a skirt, you may want to consider loose breeches, or even Turkish style pants fashioned after some of the outfits in POTC...They are stylish and comfortable, for all day wear.   As Isabella suggested- a long vest is another clothing item that looks surprisingly good, and is very comfortable.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

ledtampa

actually rowen, you haven't missed anything. the corset picture i have up is the same one currently showing with the blonde, it just was showing underwear as well, which as isabella pointed out not not be too kid friendly. just to be safe, i cropped the picture a bit. i'm not really trying to go for a sexy pirate look so i'm not exactly sure how that came up...this corset is just the one i happen to have that i feel may be the best, and will be worn with a shirt underneath and a full skirt.

so while the family appropriate isn't the right term, i would like something maybe less....garish? a leather waist cincher does sound great, though my first love will always remain with corsets.<3

and breeches would be nice, but as i said, at this point, i have to work with what i currently have due to money and time restraints. though i think the skirt is plenty stylish anyway, i just need some kind of leggings or shorts for underneath to be truly comfortable.

probably for clarification purposes, i should say right now i intend to go to the MOSI Renaissance Faire in Tampa Fl, on March 9th. and while i might have enough time to order some pants, i do not have the money. and i do not have the skills to make anything myself, as wonderful as that would be.

LadyFae

The outfit that you have described will fit in just fine at your Renaissance Faire.  You are not going "sexy" nor historically accurate and for now, since you are just going for FUN you will be FINE.  =)  You will blend in with many other visitors there.  As long as you are comfortable in what you are wearing then it really is all that matters.  It isn't as though you are going to wear a chainmail bikini with nothing underneath!
Isabella has great knowledge and ideas for garb, but she is thinking more along the lines of "proper" clothing for the time.  You aren't going that route at this time so I would just file away Isabella's ideas for later use.  She is correct, also, in that it doesn't necessarily take a lot of money to have a more accurate look.  But again, for now, you'll be fine and you can always look around when you get there and find things to save up for!  =)
GO HAVE FUN and don't worry so much about what others think of your outfit.  We've seen it all.  Trust me.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

ledtampa

thank you so much ladyfae^-^ and yes, certainly no chainmail bikinis...ever!! dear god what a horror that would be. XD

i'm sure isabella does know what she's talking about, but that may be more for people who make their clothes...though i have seen some rather lovely dresses online for about 150, which sounds decent enough. most of my money does go towards my conventions and cosplay, though i can't help indulging in the renaissance when i can!

and i'm sure you've all seen it, that's why i'm worried! XD i know when i go to anime conventions, when i see someone who has only just kinda tried to cosplay, my eyes can pick it out and i think, "yup, not a lot of effort went into that" and i don't wan't to be thought of that way.

Tink

I haven't been to MOSI, but going by what I've seen at TRF, sounds like you'd fit in just fine.  Either way, I say if you like how it looks and feel comfortable in the outfit you've picked out, then that's all that really matters.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

isabelladangelo

The problem with the idea of "you do what you feel" is that it sometimes violates the "is this actually appropriate in front of kids?" (which doesn't sound like it is the case here, but I certainly have seen individuals of, shall we say ample, size attempt to fit into three pieces of leather, held together by safety pins, that wouldn't have covered someone a quarter of their size.  No, I'm not joking.  And yes, it wasn't appropriate around anyone.)  Also, it often ruins the feel of the faire for other people.  (Check out the video "Where is the Renaissance in the festival?" http://youtu.be/N0EDrtEBsA8)

The same people that have the idea of "do whatever you want" tend to get very upset when people critique their outfits in anyway.  (The "How dare you judge me!" attitude.  ::) ) Well, when you get dressed up, people are going to stare at you.  Even other people who are dressed up.  And yes, they are going to pass "judgements" on your idea of attire.  This is why we have things like People of Walmart.  If you are going to wear it - own it!   Don't get all upset because someone didn't like your outfit.  If enough people are giving you funny looks, then yeah, it probably is a good idea to change.  Like absolutely everything else in life, wearing garb is -and should be- a learning experience.  You learn what styles you like, what fits best with your faire, and what works best for you.   Dressing up in a bikini, wearing striped socks, and a pair of fairy wings really doesn't work well for the faire, typically, nor is it a good style for - well- anyone outside of a rave, maybe.  (Yeah, I really saw that one year.  EVERYONE's jaw dropped open over that and I think it was the next year that MDRF instituted some new "garb" rules.  )

So no, do what you want is not a good idea.   Following guidelines established in the Renaissance (it is the Renaissance Festival afterall. Our ancestors dressed like this 24/7.  They knew what they were doing) helps to guide you to what is appropriate and what will work.  This way, you are less likely to end up on a Renn Fest version of a People of Walmart like site. 

I've easily seen - and even bought for myself- a long skirt, a white peasant blouse, and even a bodice at the thrift store for under $20 - about the same price as a ticket to the Renn Fest.   Now, granted, my thrift store I go to every week is sort of the mega mall of thrift stores.  Last week I bought 5+ yards of green cotton damask.  I've also gotten wool and even silk for gowns there.  The point is it doesn't have to be expensive to dress in something that will be comfortable  and look nice. 

Rowan MacD

LOL..I hadn't seen that video in years..I forgot it was out there!
  NRF is no longer located at Scary acres,  however, the same folks show up. 
   We are improving every year! 

Is there a website like People of Walmart  for renaissance faires?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on February 13, 2014, 09:12:00 AM

Is there a website like People of Walmart  for renaissance faires?

There are listserves.  :-D  Normally, everyone just gripes about the "Fairy Princess Victorian Renaissance SASS" auctions on ebay of reject 1970's poly gowns.  Once in a while, there is true gem that requires massive amounts of brain bleach to erradicate the image from your head.   I found watching anything BBC or the PBS Elizabeth with Anne-Marie Duff works very, very well as brain bleach. 

arbcoind

http://www.pyramidcollection.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=51,669&T1=P98654+XS

I recently purchased this waist cincher for mundane wear, but it would probably work for your girl pirate look.

Gina