News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

General garb critique/advice

Started by ledtampa, February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidhoggr

Quote from: ledtampa on February 15, 2014, 08:18:31 PM
not saying that i would carry a katana around...i'm just saying if i ever bought a real steel sword, it would be a katana. not a rapier or whatever...

anyway, what i AM carrying is a..? i dunno what it's called, but here's a picture of my sword. i think it's quite nice!

That would technically be called a Cutlass, my dear.

eraserheadgirl

Hmmm... so I have purchased some garb, which may not be historically accurate, but I think our faire might be moving in a fantasy faire direction, given all of the themed weekends and contests. I'm a trad goth, so in the past I didn't give a hoot about what was historically accurate at the faire. This year, I'm trying to pay a bit more attention to costuming, whilst fitting in with the "spirit" of our French St. Louis Faire weekends: http://www.stlrenfest.com/themeweekends.html. Next year I will make my own garb, but this year I am pressed for time and have a budget. I am the leader of a local goth meetup group and would like to maintain a dark flavour in my costumes.
How would ren-fest vets perceive these gowns I have purchased?: https://img0.etsystatic.com/033/1/6529501/il_570xN.506039608_tbss.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261472935081?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and a very Elven fantasy one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Medieval-Dress-Blue-silver-and-white-size-small-never-worn-/261462944836?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=YztZhd0JKes6xdCVKMw0iNThOLE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have done much research and know that most French overdresses would have been laced on the side or back for upper-class women and that my chemises should be linen. I know the last dress is more Lord of the Rings than Ren Fest, but other than that, how bad are these outfits? What could I do to them to improve?

isabelladangelo

My number one concern with the dresses you purchased is that they don't look like natural materials.  It might not be a big deal this weekend but it will be a huge deal later in the season.   I've seen many people go down due to wearing polyester/acetate/other unnatural materials in the heat.  I've also heard many complaints by people wearing unnatural materials about how cold they were in cooler weather.   You tend to be okay around the 70f-80f mark but any higher or lower than that and you will have issues, particularity on the warmer side. 

Like I said, I've seen people go down (as in turn sheet white after being red and then collapse).  9 times out of 10, they are wearing unnatural fabrics.  Even with good hydration, you can still have issues.  Natural fabrics breathe nicely and absorb/wick away the moisture.  Unnatural fabrics prevent the skin from breathing and are basically like wearing a plastic bag.  It might be a very elegant looking plastic bag but know that you want to be very cautious. 

That being said, many people do start out with the Irish dress style - it is completely fictional however.  Most open front gowns during the 16th Century either had a closed skirt (dog-legged styled) or the bodice was angled & pointed (look up mid 16th Century Venetian gowns for an idea of what they really looked like).

Trillium

The dresses look beautiful!  I think you will fit in just fine.
Got faerie dust?

arbcoind

I too like the dresses you've chosen.  I think most ren-fest vets would approve.  And if not, the only thing that matters is that you like the dresses and are comfortable in them.  Isabella has a good point.  Try to stay with natural fabrics especially if your Faire is during hot weather.  You will sweat and melt in a polyester gown.

Gina

eraserheadgirl

Thanks! Yep... I did mention I was a Goth, right? And a native St. Louisan? I'm happy as a clam in full velvet and taffeta having a graveyard picnic in the high heat of July  8). Mere mortals may not have my fortitude! Seriously though, am ordering a cotton or linen chemise. Good looking-out, ladies :)

As for the front-lacing, as I mentioned, I am aware that most upper-class French women would have had side or back lacing (or a placard or some sort of fabric covering their front lacing), but I have read about instances where the front lacing is historically accurate to the period ; this post discusses front-lacing as illustrated in period Florentine paintings:http://genvieve.net/sca/mcitalrennotes/ Of, course my gowns aren't meant to be historically accurate, but it is nice to see that front-lacing was used in the very early Italian Renaissance.

Lady Renee Buchanan

All the dresses are pretty.  I love,love, love the red patterned dress.  All would look great at faire.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on May 09, 2014, 07:18:29 PM
All the dresses are pretty.  I love,love, love the red patterned dress.  All would look great at faire.
Thank you!!!

isabelladangelo

Quote from: eraserheadgirl on May 09, 2014, 06:42:04 PM
Thanks! Yep... I did mention I was a Goth, right? And a native St. Louisan? I'm happy as a clam in full velvet and taffeta having a graveyard picnic in the high heat of July  8). Mere mortals may not have my fortitude! Seriously though, am ordering a cotton or linen chemise. Good looking-out, ladies :)

As for the front-lacing, as I mentioned, I am aware that most upper-class French women would have had side or back lacing (or a placard or some sort of fabric covering their front lacing), but I have read about instances where the front lacing is historically accurate to the period ; this post discusses front-lacing as illustrated in period Florentine paintings:http://genvieve.net/sca/mcitalrennotes/ Of, course my gowns aren't meant to be historically accurate, but it is nice to see that front-lacing was used in the very early Italian Renaissance.

A picnic is maybe a couple of hours, lying around, in the shade, typically.  At faire, you will be up, walking around, for at least three hours.  This means you will be much hotter.   I've heard the "but I've worn X before at Y!" many times.  That is the one of the reasons so many people end up in the "ER" esque tent at Faire and why, at events, I'm the one at camp glaring at them and forcing them to rest.   ;D  People don't seem to understand how much hotter you will feel and your body truly gets from even a gentle walk compared to lying around.  Also, I realized I recognized the black and white dress fabric specifically - and yes, very much unnatural fabrics.  I was thinking of buying some from Walmart for curtains and a tablecloth on an end table.   ;)  So, I've actually played with that fabric before. 

My point was about front opening, not front lacing.  Front lacing has almost always been around.  ;)  However, front lacing does not mean the dress is open completely down the front.  Most of the time, the dress opening, in period, ends right about at the hip level.  Front opening means that the dress is fully open from the very top to the hem.  You won't find that except as a Flemish gown:

Or, as in the above post, Venetian:

As you can see, the styles are wide or angled at the top and aren't meant to be closed.  On the Venetian, the waistline is also angled.   

The Irish dress - of which every lady has had one at one point- has a straight waistline, closed front, and opens all the way down to the hem.  It simply didn't exist in period.  Not that it is a bad thing - just that it isn't correct.  (Unfortunately, in English we tend to associate "not correct" with "bad" when that shouldn't be the case at all! Something can be "not correct" and still work perfectly fine.) 

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: Trillium on May 09, 2014, 11:08:12 AM
The dresses look beautiful!  I think you will fit in just fine.
Trillium, your fairy costume looks cute- what are you planning on wearing to the faire this year?

Trillium

Aww, thank you!  I have made several costumes over the years and what I wear depends heavily on the weather that day (and room in the truck).  I live in Texas so in the fall we really don't know what we will have from one day to the next.  Could be 90 one day and 65 the next, if we are camping I bring a few options.  I have my faerie garb, gypsy garb (most of the tops and skirts are interchangable depending on the weather), and pirate.  I am making a tribal dancer outfit right now (not really "belly dancer").  The skirt and gwahzee coat are mostly done-still needs trim, still fighting with the top. 
Got faerie dust?

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: Trillium on May 10, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
Aww, thank you!  I have made several costumes over the years and what I wear depends heavily on the weather that day (and room in the truck).  I live in Texas so in the fall we really don't know what we will have from one day to the next.  Could be 90 one day and 65 the next, if we are camping I bring a few options.  I have my faerie garb, gypsy garb (most of the tops and skirts are interchangable depending on the weather), and pirate.  I am making a tribal dancer outfit right now (not really "belly dancer").  The skirt and gwahzee coat are mostly done-still needs trim, still fighting with the top.
I hear you on the weather, St. Louis is notoriously unpredictable, but I LOVE the heat. Some goth friends and I like to get full decked out in Victorian goth and go to Six Flags all summer. I'm a roller coaster junkie :).
My husband and I love camping! Are you camping out on the fairgrounds? It makes more sense that your faire is in the fall. I wish ours was in early October (though it could still be hot), only so we could have the possibility of wearing cloaks. A tribal dancer outfit sounds fun, maybe it will inspire you to do some dancing!! What sort of shoes are you planning to wear?

Trillium

I just got these in the mail!  https://www.medievalmoccasins.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MM&Product_Code=LOWTOP
I am very excited, they are my first pair of "real" ren shoes.  I usually wear some Roman style sandles or boots if it is cold. 
The Texas Renaissance Festival (in the fall) and Sherwood Forest Faire (early spring) both have onsite camp grounds which is a lot of fun
Got faerie dust?

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: Trillium on May 10, 2014, 02:45:46 PM
I just got these in the mail!  https://www.medievalmoccasins.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MM&Product_Code=LOWTOP
I am very excited, they are my first pair of "real" ren shoes.  I usually wear some Roman style sandles or boots if it is cold. 
The Texas Renaissance Festival (in the fall) and Sherwood Forest Faire (early spring) both have onsite camp grounds which is a lot of fun
Those shoes are amazing!! You'll have to let me know how comfy they are :)

Sev

Isabella, THANK YOU for addressing the picnic vs. faire thing as far as heat (or really anything!) goes. I just got home from a VERY warm weekend at faire and saw several people drop from the heat. It's really scary; last year the heat contributed to a good friend suffering a heart attack in the middle of the faire day, and his faire-going experience began before I was born! This is one of the top safety issues that I think doesn't always get the attention it deserves. Faire's no fun if you're sick, hurt, or even simply uncomfortable! (Wear good shoes! Use natural fiber fabrics! Drink lots of water! Reapply sunscreen!)

Goth chicks are totally badass, but we are speaking from experience here, and are only concerned for your well-being. Please be safe so you can have lots of fun <3

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 10, 2014, 07:37:48 AMThe Irish dress - of which every lady has had one at one point- has a straight waistline, closed front, and opens all the way down to the hem.  It simply didn't exist in period.  Not that it is a bad thing - just that it isn't correct.  (Unfortunately, in English we tend to associate "not correct" with "bad" when that shouldn't be the case at all! Something can be "not correct" and still work perfectly fine.)

Also, this whole quote rocks :D