News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

General garb critique/advice

Started by ledtampa, February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Sev on May 11, 2014, 11:03:20 PM
Isabella, THANK YOU for addressing the picnic vs. faire thing as far as heat (or really anything!) goes. I just got home from a VERY warm weekend at faire and saw several people drop from the heat.

Not a problem!   I hope that everyone who did have issues this weekend got nothing more than a very good lesson in what to wear and not wear at faire.  It scares me every year to see some of the items people think are great to wear.   Part of the reason I push the H/A side of garbing is because our Ancestors knew what the heck they were doing in the heat.  Super thin chemise sleeves, lightweight linen or tropical weight wool dress, nice big brimmed straw hat - and you are good to go!  They didn't have A/C or sunscreen and it did easily get up to 95F in Italy.   ;D 

eraserheadgirl

Hey ladies, thank you for you concern about the heat. This will certainly not be my first time attending the ren faire here (or several of our other weekend festivals). I have attended in the past in full goth garb, so I am aware of how hot it can get. Luckily, my chemises and my sleeves are detachable. Also, I know you weren't intending to be condescending, but I'm a 33 year old woman and know staying hydrated is important. Looks like it should be in the 70s for us in St. Louis on opening day- looking forward to it.

Sev

I assure you there was absolutely no condescension or ill will intended! But on the internet it's hard to guess at someone's age or experience (and your avatar doesn't suggest you're 33!), and there's also the consideration (at least on my part) that we are speaking not only to the people currently participating in the thread, but also to anyone else who may come across this conversation in the future, and may take the wrong impression from it -- for example, seeing that you've done well in full goth garb in the heat, and then trusting that they themselves will also be fine, without knowing yet how their body might react to such a thing. That is potentially a recipe for disaster, and a lot of people (myself included) have used old threads on these boards for reference on all sorts of topics...

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: Sev on May 12, 2014, 05:29:34 PM
I assure you there was absolutely no condescension or ill will intended! But on the internet it's hard to guess at someone's age or experience (and your avatar doesn't suggest you're 33!), and there's also the consideration (at least on my part) that we are speaking not only to the people currently participating in the thread, but also to anyone else who may come across this conversation in the future, and may take the wrong impression from it -- for example, seeing that you've done well in full goth garb in the heat, and then trusting that they themselves will also be fine, without knowing yet how their body might react to such a thing. That is potentially a recipe for disaster, and a lot of people (myself included) have used old threads on these boards for reference on all sorts of topics...
Thank you Sev, (especially for the compliment that I look young, all women in my family do-and it can be frustrating, actually). I hope you all have a good season and no more of your friends faint!! I received my new parasol and sandalwood fan today- not HA, but should help. I'm also fortunate enough to have been able to purchase a season pass, so I can come and go in and out of the heat as I please :). Where is your home faire, Sev?

isabelladangelo

Quote from: eraserheadgirl on May 12, 2014, 02:14:50 PM
Hey ladies, thank you for you concern about the heat. This will certainly not be my first time attending the ren faire here (or several of our other weekend festivals). I have attended in the past in full goth garb, so I am aware of how hot it can get. Luckily, my chemises and my sleeves are detachable. Also, I know you weren't intending to be condescending, but I'm a 33 year old woman and know staying hydrated is important. Looks like it should be in the 70s for us in St. Louis on opening day- looking forward to it.

Don't forget, age has nothing to do with wisdom.  The wisest words are often from the mouth of babes...and the dumbest actions are often from people who should know better.  Which is why we have the Darwin Awards.   ;D  Also, as Sev stated, people very often go through the boards to see what information has already been presented. 

eraserheadgirl

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 12, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

Don't forget, age has nothing to do with wisdom.  The wisest words are often from the mouth of babes...and the dumbest actions are often from people who should know better.  Which is why we have the Darwin Awards.   ;D  Also, as Sev stated, people very often go through the boards to see what information has already been presented.
You are insulting.

Sev

I don't think Isabella was directing that at you specifically -- I think she was saying it more generally to sort of reaffirm what I said about how you can never simply assume who it is you're talking to online, and thus that it's best to cover all one's bases when sharing safety information and concerns, thus why she and I both were spewing all kinds of cautions. =)

Sandalwood fans are AWESOME, and so are parasols. =D Very cool to have a season pass! I dreamed of having such a thing when I was still a patron more often than a participant haha.

I got my start as a patron at King Richard's Faire in MA a shocking twelve years ago (well, shocking to me haha), and also started performing there several years ago. Recently, though, the New Hampshire Renassaince Faire has been feeling more and more like home. But I'm usually at least visiting pretty much every event in New England, heh...

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: eraserheadgirl on May 12, 2014, 09:57:40 PM
Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 12, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

You are insulting.

And generally statements such as yours are not welcome or appropriate. As stated, this thread could be a valuable resource for others, and Isabella is a very well respected resource here. Nothing in her post was insulting, but your response definitely is. I will be reporting it to the moderator.

isabelladangelo

Thank you Sev and Lady Rosalind - yes, my comments were very generalized.  I did email the new girl and explained in a bit more graphic detail what I've seen happen at faire and at Pennsic.  It's not pretty and I know it might make some very sensative people sick and/or angry which is why I don't post exactly what happened at faires past here.  It made me angry when I saw a 4 year old drop one year at faire.   However, she told me she's won't be back (I guess because we dared to think that maybe explaining about the heat was a good idea?).  Oh well!

Merlin the Elder

Perhaps she just didn't understand that we all tend to try to take care of each other!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Trillium

Alright ladies, lets mind our manners please.  Not gonna say anything more, been some long difficult days.  Just play nice.
Got faerie dust?

Merlin the Elder

Ladies?!?   :o   I've been called a lot of things, but...  ;D

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

Hoowil

Yeah, Merlin can act a bit too much like a dirty old man to be considered a lady. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Merlin the Elder

Wow! Personal attacks are becoming rampant in this thread!  ;D   Back to garb...

What would be a really cool ensemble for a dirty old man?  I need to branch out a little with my garb.