News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lost and muddled

Started by Erisie, February 18, 2014, 02:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erisie

I have created characters in tabletops, but making a persona is an entirely different beast. I'm having difficulty coming up with one that would fit me well. I have thought of a range of different occupations and even creatures. Ranging from druids to bandits to the town drunk. I don't have much to work with clothing wise, which is both a blessing and a curse. Meaning once I can get an idea, I can acquire necessary things for my garb. I mainly need tid bits of advice, opinions from the more experienced. This damsel is in quite a bit of distress.  :P

ShadowWraith

When I first got into this, I came from a similar direction as you. I had made characters in other forms of media; tabletop games, short stories, etc. However, I found making a character for myself a bit more challenging! Through friends I made here, I was able to get input from faire veterans that really helped me shape my persona to fit who I am naturally.

Erisie

I'm glad I am not the only one that has had some trouble. Some help from veterans would be nice. I have also been considering working at a faire this year and interact more with the street performers as well as shop owners. I know a few at my home faire, they helped me more with crafts than role playing but I am sure they will help me with it if I asked.
If I may ask, do you have any advice to give? I have a couple of possible characters in mind but I haven't been able to flesh out their personalities.

ShadowWraith

Quote from: Erisie on February 21, 2014, 07:52:53 AM
I'm glad I am not the only one that has had some trouble. Some help from veterans would be nice. I have also been considering working at a faire this year and interact more with the street performers as well as shop owners. I know a few at my home faire, they helped me more with crafts than role playing but I am sure they will help me with it if I asked.
If I may ask, do you have any advice to give? I have a couple of possible characters in mind but I haven't been able to flesh out their personalities.

Of course! The mostly important part would be to have fun. That's why you're going after all, to enjoy yourself. You say you've narrowed it down to two characters? Go with which ever one you can let loose and be yourself. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if your garb isn't accurate, or your accent slipped or whatever. If character A can let you play along with other playground and cast and adds to the joy of others over character b's sullen aloofness, do that.

ShadowWraith

Also, something I came across that helped me was accessories. Little personal touches make you and your character stand out and make the character more "real", and when that happens, your delight carries over into your acting and demeanor.

BLAKDUKE

What is your mindset.  Warrior, Damsel, Courtesan, Wench, Lady of Quality.  Once you have decided that, then you have a road to follow.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Renee Buchanan

Are you working at the faire, or just going for entertainment?  If it is the latter, I would think twice about being the town drunk.  First, if you are really convincing, you may garner a lot more attention that you desire, especially from males thinking this drunken woman might be very "friendly."

Another thing is that, you must remember that families  and those with children come to the faire.  Unfortunately, not everyone can tell the difference between someone acting and in real life.  If you've ever heard those statements that faire is just a bunch of drunken people who run around naked after hours and have orgies, well, you can guess where that - totally incorrect - image comes from.  It is not only you and your friends that are playing around having fun at faire, most non-rennie visitors can't tell the difference between cast and patrons (how many times have all of us been asked where are the privies or where is this stage?).  So to them, you represent the faire, and your actions will speak loudly, even without saying a word.  Is this right?  No, of course not, but it's the perception that they remember, not the facts.

This is just my 2 cents, but there are better characters to be than the town drunk woman.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Hoowil

Depending on how many faires you hit, and if you want to be part of the cast or not, I'd say take time on it. If your garb is a bit limited, use what you have. Watch other people and their garb. Look for inspiration. I've been doing faires for many years, with only once or twice in mundanes in my life. But I do not have a set character or persona per say. Its easier to gather ideas, and garb, from what you like, to fit you. Once that has been done, it'll start to come together as a picture that migh make it easier to build a persona around. I am adding bits to my garb nearly every faire, either in clothes or accessories, and who I am at faire has slowly evolved. I started doing peasant garb because it was easier for me to make (and linen is a lot cheaper than natural fiber velvet). I became an archer because it was a hobby I had outside of faire. Now I am looking to fill out what my persona would do for a living when not shooting (most English archers were peasant or middle class conscripts who had a life outside the army otherwise), even if most people won't see past that. I do intend on expanding on it, and filling in details beyond what I do now, but it has been and is a gradual process. I do agree with the idea of starting at a base level. Choose a social class, peasant, noble or middle. I suggest starting from there as it'll help make the sure garb is usable if you decide to change the details. There are regional/national style differences, but even those can be explained away with the right story. From there you can begin to fill in the background, and the story. Just like in a RPG, a character that is forced together and feels unnatural to you will come across as stiff and a little flat.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

DonaCatalina

As you might have garnered from other posts, there is no need to go out the first time in a full blown persona. My persona has developed over the years based on climate and what interests me.
You can easily spend $$$ on garb you end up hating after wearing it 3-4 times.
So start with the basics; and see what others are wearing that you find interesting.
Do you have a family background in a particular culture? Sometimes that helps to give you a starting point to build on.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Chelsy

It's also important to keep in mind that, if you DO work faire, some have "rules" on who you can and can't be as a castmember (AKA they might give you someone to be, whether real or not).
TNRF (2003-2015, 2017)
CRF (2012-present)
GARF (2015-present)
KYHRF (2005-2009)