News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What's your reaction/critique of the faire in this it's Fifth Season?

Started by rengypsy, February 20, 2014, 08:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

curious what your thoughts are of the faire this year?

for me, the grounds are the best they have been.
the Great Hall George and Brian built is fabulous.
i hear Robin's Feast is the best its been.
i felt the wine tasting was very enjoyable...entertainment and win all good.
the new tent merchants and artisans fill the space much better.
the addition of the black castle clan and their demonstrations are an addition.
the acting company is very cohesive.

my two cents.  want your thoughts, please.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

PollyPoPo

Went to first Robin's Feast this year - a fun time and good food and drink (still in the tent - looking forward to being in the Hall next year).

Grounds are more navigable with the smaller mulch.

While there is a still an open feel, it seems there is more activity throughout (addition of the maypole, camels, etc.) Adds to the festive feeling but does not detract from being in an open forest area.

Always changing, but always familiar.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Crimson

I will be attending the Robins Feast this Saturday in the Hall!!  Very excited! 

I do like the smaller mulch.  I know a lot more people this year than last so my experience is grander just becuase of that.  Last Saturday I sat at 3 stags and lost track of time mingling and chatting with everyone.  I've been making a point to get out to see more shows this year than I had in years past and so far I have not been disappointed with any of them.  I still have lots more to see. 
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

Hercules

LOVE this faire! The food is the best and the atmosphere is very laid back.

My constant critique is...more mead selection please. Austin has several fine meaderies close by (Rohan and Oberhof). Why limit to just Thorins?
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Lord Virgo

XTREEM HORN LORD
THE WRONG ONE CAMP
SHAME THY SELF
TIS FOLLY

609wood

Quote from: Hercules on February 20, 2014, 04:27:26 PM
LOVE this faire! The food is the best and the atmosphere is very laid back.

My constant critique is...more mead selection please. Austin has several fine meaderies close by (Rohan and Oberhof). Why limit to just Thorins?

Do they offer a dry mead?  Sweet mead is good and all but so is the alternative of a fine dry mead. It can be as good as any white wine! 

scarletnyx

Everything has been amazing this year. Husband and I have been out at least in part every weekend, and have loved every minute of it. We love the new artisans, finding the "little" improvements like the maypole, and the acts ( of course! ). Robin's Feast in the hall is amazing - the husband, who hates naps, was induced into a 4 hour food/mead coma, the ultimate seal of approval.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Ginette

This being my first full season of working at Sherwood, I'm not too sure what to think really.  The jousting crew is awesome and always great with the kids. I've seen many of the crew taking their time and answering all the questions of the kids.  I've learned something new from the bird show and Mark Haller the glass blower every time I pass by.   
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Gwen aka Punstergal

I want to start by saying am a huge fan of Sherwood and I am always recommending it to everyone I talk to. I have a blast every time I go, and the kids love it. 

That being said, I have gotten quite a few comments back from friends I've sent that way that it is WAY TOO EASY TO MISS ON THE HIGHWAY. During the first year, that was expected. Heck, even the second. But this being the FIFTH year, the fact that proper signage is still missing reflects really poorly on the faire. It automatically detracts from your whole memory of faire if your FIRST memory of it is passing it on 290 and having to do a crazy barely-legal u-turn in the middle of the highway.  Also, if the people that are actually TRYING to get to the faire are missing it, then how can we possibly expect the people just driving by about their normal business to realize it exists. Seasonal events need all the easy advertising they can muster.

I understand that a billboard may be out of reach, but a decently sized sign with basic name & dates info is pretty much a necessity, from a business standpoint.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

JackGonzo, MD

I have to agree with Gwen on signage, especially at the campgrounds. When coming in at night I almost always miss it no doubt leave drivers behind me screaming and cursing when the brakes are slammed.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

maeven

We were only able to attend Opening weekend, but we still noticed so many great things.

The smaller mulch is wonderful! It's so much easier to navigate our little cub's stroller on the smaller mulch than the mulch last year.

There are a bit more things to see, but like Polly said, it still has an open feel--which is lovely.

To quote Polly again; always changing, but always familiar. :)
*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

<Alex>

Quote from: Gwen aka Punstergal on March 06, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
I want to start by saying am a huge fan of Sherwood and I am always recommending it to everyone I talk to. I have a blast every time I go, and the kids love it. 

That being said, I have gotten quite a few comments back from friends I've sent that way that it is WAY TOO EASY TO MISS ON THE HIGHWAY. During the first year, that was expected. Heck, even the second. But this being the FIFTH year, the fact that proper signage is still missing reflects really poorly on the faire. It automatically detracts from your whole memory of faire if your FIRST memory of it is passing it on 290 and having to do a crazy barely-legal u-turn in the middle of the highway.  Also, if the people that are actually TRYING to get to the faire are missing it, then how can we possibly expect the people just driving by about their normal business to realize it exists. Seasonal events need all the easy advertising they can muster.

I understand that a billboard may be out of reach, but a decently sized sign with basic name & dates info is pretty much a necessity, from a business standpoint.

We live in Elgin and I work in Giddings. Whenever I mention a renfaire to friends and coworkers, their first assumption is "that thing outside Houston every fall?", resulting in me explaining that there's a faire that's just as awesome going on right now 15 minutes away.

Since this season started, I've talked to 3 co-workers from Paige who are only just now realizing they have a Renfaire in their home town.

Heck, the wife and I drove by the place its opening year.  We knew it existed, but we weren't particularly sure when/where it was until we actually started looking online for it. 

A more visible billboard/sign would work wonders.
Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

<Alex>

Duplicate File Detected
Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

Trillium

So, we finally made it to Sherwood this weekend for our first time and we love it. Plan to be back next year.  Definitely more cosy than TRF.  The only complaints we had were about the campground.  Luckily, I knew it would be difficult to spot and we were prepared.  Finding a camping spot on the friday of spring break for a large tent was difficult and navigating the campground was a bit confusing.  We accidentally ended up in the family camping and after tromping around the woods found what turned out to be a perfect spot.  After a walk about that evening we were thankful for our spot and not being around all the RVs in the main camping.  Our chief complaint (and Mike I spoke with you about it on Saturday evening) was that the port o john in the back of family camping was not cleaned all weekend.  We checked it after the fire show and it was still disgusting.  All the others we passed on the trek back to camp smelled clean and fresh.  One or two more in the area would be highly recommended (if kept clean), especially since the area is geared towards families with children.  Can't wait for next year!!!
Got faerie dust?

PollyPoPo

Trillium,

So happy you were able to get to Sherwood.  Sorry I didn't get to meet you.

This faire is definitely more intimate and cozy feeling that some others, especially compared to the much longer established faires.  Yet, each year Sherwood adds or changes up the venue. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)