News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Parasol Frogs

Started by Bogie, February 20, 2014, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogie

While at CRF 2013 my wife purchased a parasol. Good quality, canvas, repels water,  the works. The issue came about the next day when she discovered she had to <gasp> carry  it around with her.  So, we returned home at the end of our trip and it became a goal of mine to produce something to allow her to carry on her dress, not in her hands.   

The catch: in our local show we do a skit with a cheaper parasol used as a weapon. This one is cheaper and skinnier so whatever I made needed to accommodate multiple sizes.

After a little online research and messing around with it, I had the answer. With a little leather and rivets, I produced a leather frog.  Nothing special, nothing fancy.

It wasn't until this past weekend at ARF that I realized just how much of a demand there was for what I had created. Now we get to my post. I'm thinking of producing a small batch of maybe 5 or so to see just how well they stand up to multiple size parasols and over multiple days/faires. If they can withstand a season, I may be inclined to start producing them in higher quantities and selling them.

For the time being, I wanted to feel out this audience and see if anyone is interested in one. I'd sell them at my cost + shipping to you.

I don't have any great pictures of it right now, but I will upload one that I have on hand.  I will get some taken in the next day or two and upload them here.

Here is the design that is on it. If you'd want something like this done, there would be an additional cost to use my friends laser.

ADDED: Sorry for the delays with the rest of the pictures. Life got a little... busy. 
http://imgur.com/a/atzeh

Rani Zemirah

Those are lovely... and the lasered design is stunning!  There was a thread  on the boards a couple of years ago, or so, about this very topic, and it did seem to be something that would be a popular item.  I do love my parasol, but there are times when I would rather not have to have it in my hand, particularly while trying to have a snack, or during a show... or when the wind picks up!  I would think that you could easily sell them, depending on cost.  Of course, you don't want to give away your own labor for free, so you should pay yourself for your work, as well!  Very nicely done! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede