News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Barbarian garb sources?

Started by Tipsy Gypsy, July 21, 2008, 10:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tipsy Gypsy

I'm considering a change to barbarian garb, fantasy, not H/A, and nothing too elaborate. I have a friend who does nice leather work- my problem is getting a concrete idea what I'd like, then communicating that. Since I'm not much of an artist, it would help if I could find a few sites that sold barbarian or barbarian-type leatherwork so I could glean some ideas and form a clearer idea of what I'm looking for, and provide some photos or links to illustrate that. I don't want to rip off anyone's designs, I just want to be able to say "this kind of seaming, but with the lacing here; a contrasting yoke like that, but with this difference, this length or that sort of neckline", and then make changes from there.

My problem is finding any sites with good photos or illustrations to work from. Either there are a lot fewer resources out there than I'd imagined, they don't have websites, or I'm using all the wrong search criteria, because most of what I'm coming up with are hokey halloween costumes (eeeek!), biker vests with buckles and zippers- nice, but not what I'm looking for, and a few S&M places ...umm, nope, thanks! At this point, I think I'd like a sleeveless leather bodice with an asymmetrical (ragged, maybe?)yoke in a contrasting color, and a leather skirt that laces at the sides, with an asymmetrical hem. Nothing too elaborate for now, the budget won't permit extravagance, and I think perhaps I could embellish later if I wanted to.

Does anyone know of a few good sites to look at? Any help is appreciated, or course!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

AnyuBoo

When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Gwen aka Punstergal

My recommendation for great barbarian inspiration would be to do a google sort for two things. First, Frazetta (a fantasy artist who did drawings of lots of nifty barbarian type stuff). And second, "Conan the Barbarian". I used to sell prints of the old Conan artwork (from the books and movie posters etc), and there were lots of different outfits, both male and female, used in the artwork. I've forgotten which artist did the Conan stuff, but it shouldn't be difficult to track down with a little hunting.

Another suggestion I want to toss in for when you get to the actual crafting of your piece-- if you are going to use fur for anything (I use it to edge my boots/hat/collar/etc), you can usually get trashed out rabbit fur coats at goodwill for next to nothing. They are so far out of style that folks don't want to restore them anymore, so they sell for cheap once they're torn or starting to separate from the lining (a common occurrence in cheap fur coats).
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

isabelladangelo

I'd google the Tuchux for various barbarian garb.  They typically have some really neat looking barbarian elements.

Also, you might want to check out the old Xena tv series.  Most of the garb there was very fantastical but awesome looking.

Randal

Something like this, but with more closure in front, and an actual skirt with the natural raw edges at the hem? Chamois is reasonably easy to sew, usually has nice raw edges, and has a very nice drape. Picture from the movie Red Sonja. Try searching for pictures from movies, like 10,000 BC, or Clan of the Cave Bear.

Since you're going for Fantasy, and not Historical Accuracy, you might look at some of the Fairy costumes in the pattern catalogues. Some of them would look nice done up in garment leather with the raw edges showing.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

Tipsy Gypsy

"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"