News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Letters of Marque?

Started by AnyuBoo, July 21, 2008, 10:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnyuBoo

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this question:

I'm looking to make up a couple letters of marque for some of my pirate friends, but I'm not really sure how they looked/were worded.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  ;D
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

renren

Been wondering that myself.
brb, gonna go and see if I can find something!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

renren

try this link, many examples, with dates, from different places, too!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/5213/marque2.htm
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

AnyuBoo

Thanks!
That's a great link.  (They were really long-winded those days, weren't they?  :D )
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

renren

That's exactly the thougth that crossed my mind! :D
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

SleepyArcher

I do have one that I have made. I have given to a few friends. You can find the wax seals at JoAnnes. Just need a candle and "mark" to the impression. I use a ring. If you renmail me your snail mail addy I can send you my version.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Storm

Sleepys Letter of Marque is really cool! He gave me one. It looks really good complete with the hot wax stamp and all!

remission

This looks pretty cool. How are you having it printed?  It would look great on some aged partchment. However I'm at a loss to how to have this done.

Its sure not going to be in MY chicken scratch handwriting lol

SleepyArcher

I think I used resume paper. I will have to go to the store and look for some more. I just got some renmails for some so as soon as I get time I will send them out. Hopefully I stil have it on my computer.

remission

Quote from: Sleepy on August 07, 2008, 01:22:05 AM
I think I used resume paper. I will have to go to the store and look for some more. I just got some renmails for some so as soon as I get time I will send them out. Hopefully I stil have it on my computer.

That would be great to make for some of my guys at the Pirates Tavern where my friend works. I'd like to learn how to make them.  Somthing that looks like old partchment and leather :)

Mad Irish

I work for a printer, and whenever I need an old-timey document, it never hurts to check out a paper called "Astroparche".  Comes in a couple of different colors and has a real good look.  Check it out at Wausau papers website, I think.

The Bloodwake's articles are written on that.

SleepyArcher

Hey Renren that is the site I got my letter from, I will have to look closer to see which one. I just copy and pasted it and changed the names. Might be easier than me sending mine since I cant find it on file.

renren

I was thinking of doing that! ;D
Now, whether or not it gets done, amidst the B-day parties for the Dtr. and everything else... :)
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

MacLaren

Jeweler's wax would suit you better than candle wax. It would cooperate far more easily. It's ultra hard when cool, and will keep the stamp better. Just walk into a jeweler's shop where you know they grind their own stones, and they'll probably give you a stick for a couple of bucks, or tell you where to go for it.

JMO
Dan
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

irish boy

I have a letter of marque already set up in a ms word format. just fill in the blanks if anyone is interested
Irish Boy (Gentleman John Blackpoole Landshark #49)