News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Letters of Marque?

Started by AnyuBoo, July 21, 2008, 10:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

I would think that a softer wax would be better then a hard wax, less likely to chip and flake off.

for an aged parchment look, you could try a heavier paper, or a cotton based paper and soak it in tea or weak watered down coffee.

MacLaren

You might be surprised at how tough jeweler's wax is. It's nearly stone when cool. I can't imagine using a candle wax for seals, it's far too soft and too easily marred in my humble opinion.

Again, JMO,
Dan
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

SleepyArcher

At MNRF they sell sealers wax and the stamps, I think you can even have one custom made. I have been using a ring for imprint and wax "coins" from JoAnnes. But I think I am going to get some of these at fest this year.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Dallan

Quote from: renren on July 21, 2008, 10:48:27 AM
try this link, many examples, with dates, from different places, too!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/5213/marque2.htm

This link is no longer valid and I've been looking for some sample letters. Any other suggestions?
Fight'n

SleepyArcher

Renmail me your email addy and if i can find mine i will email it to ya!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

redkimba

Dallan

Thanks yes. I found the Cpt Kidd letter else where but this is great. That's why I love this forum.
Fight'n

VIII

Letter of Marque
King Henry VIII, by the grace of God, King of England and France, Prince of Wales, Lord of Ireland, Duke of York and Cornwall, Earl of Chester, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of the Golden Fleece, Knight of the Order of St. John, Defender of the Faith, and cetera, to all and singular Admirals, captains, castellans, and to their lieutenants, and to keepers of ports of the sea and other maritime places, and to majors, bailiffs, constables, provosts, and officers, and to masters and owners of ships, and mariners, and also to victuallers of ships, and to all other our lieges and subjects, whether on land or at sea, liberties or without, to whom these presents may come, Greetings:
Know ye that we have granted and given leave to our well-beloved Captain, <insert name here>, to sail and to pass to the seas with as many ships, barges, and balingers of war, men-at-arms and bowman properly equipped, as he may be able to provide himself with, to do all the hurt he can do to our open enemies, as well for their destruction as for the safe guarding and defence of our faithful lieges, and for the safety of our realm. And therefore we command you, and each of you, that you supply the said <name> with ships, barges, and balingers, victuals, and all other things necessary and useful to him in our behalf, he paying for the same as shall be reasonably agreed between you and him; and that you be aiding, advising, and assisting to him, <name>, in the performance and execution of the premises, as beseems you.
In witness these presents to endure according to our pleasure, Witness, the King
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Capt. Morgan

*begins to check pockets of doublet* Ummm....Now where in the name of the Goddess did I put them? I know I have them somewhere....ahhh...*pats doublet, checks folds in boots*....Ummm...nope...not there....Ahhh...mayhaps my other doublet?
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Francisco Paula

I'm Portuguese....We need no marque

Welsh Wench

I'm a woman.
We don't need letters of marque.

All we need is a wink and a smile.  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lord Figaro

True wenchie, but what do yah do with em once you gots em under your control and captured em EH!?!?!?!?
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Lady Renee Buchanan

Taffy Saltwater created a lovely letter of marque (if letters of marque can be considered lovely - but this one is!) for the Order of the Landsharks.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dragongirl

Quote from: Lord Figaro on November 06, 2009, 06:17:27 PM
True wenchie, but what do yah do with em once you gots em under your control and captured em EH!?!?!?!?

Well, what ever we wish of course!
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on November 07, 2009, 01:24:56 PM
Taffy Saltwater created a lovely letter of marque (if letters of marque can be considered lovely - but this one is!) for the Order of the Landsharks.

Doing her best Elvis, "Thank you, thank you very much."
Sveethot!