News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First time to Sherwood

Started by prothos, March 06, 2014, 06:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prothos

we are regulars at TRF but we are planing to make the voyage to sherwood on the weekend of march 14- 16. we will be bringing out our travel trailer. what kind of information can everyone provide me on the camp grounds
Price?
When it will open that weekeend seeing its spring break?
Is there an map that shows where i can park?
is there a bon fire like at TRF
plus any other information i would need to know

Thank you

PollyPoPo

The main web page for Sherwood is http://www.sherwoodforestfaire.com/

There is some information on that page with link drop down under Seek Ye Our Village, Camping.  At the top of the camping page, there is are notices "Click here ... map" and "Click here ... handout".  The link is actually the word "here" for each of those.

Mike Pullen is the Camp Manager/Master/Guru/answerer of all questions about Sherwood Camping and will probably get back to you here with more information soon, but I figured this would give you a place to start.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Crimson

Faire is open 14,15,16 that weekend so camping opens on the 13th.  Camping is $10/person for the weekend.  There is not a bonfire like TRF.  Clans have dedicated land for camping.  In the general camping area the "bottom" of the hill as you drive in is best for RV's because it is less sandy.  I expect that weekend to have a lot of people so you may be camping close to others. 

At nights I would suggest to go on walkabout through the clan camping.  That is where the parties are.  Most clans are welcoming and don't mind walk ins.  If you see a fire and people gathered, walk up and introduce yourself.  As far as parking, you can park by your RV.  There are limited parking spots by the camping entrance.  And by limited I mean, like, 5.  The camping entrance is a leisurely walk from just about any camping. 

Any more questions just ask away.  There are plenty on this board who can answer just about anything.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

scarletnyx

Another note about your RV/trailer. Sherwood is primitive. As in, sandy ground, low trees, etc. Most of the small trailers/RVs have no issue, but it is something to keep in mind.

Other than that, everyone else has been spot on! It is truly unlike any other gathering of people I have ever been too, and while going every.single.weekend this season is taxing, I know in the summer I'll be grateful for the stored up energy.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

prothos

thanks for the info.
mine is a small trailer 24" with a slide out. weighs right at 4000lb fully loaded, its self contained and i have a generator that is fairly quite. .
It would be about 7or 8am friday before we can get there. I have meet a few from a few of the clans at TRF and a few that are from Sherwood.

KiltedPrivateer

4000lbs packed into 24 inches?
What is that trailer made of?  Does it fit in the glove box?

Poking at ya of course (o:

When you get camp setup be sure to do the walk about and stop by Clan Procrastination.  We'll be doing our initiations on the Saturday night of that weekend.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

Crimson

I've missed you the last few weekends, KP.  I love the new flowers in the bed at your camp. Hope they didn't freeze this week.  Hope to see you this weekend.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

prothos

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on March 07, 2014, 10:20:42 AM
4000lbs packed into 24 inches?
What is that trailer made of?  Does it fit in the glove box?

Poking at ya of course (o:

When you get camp setup be sure to do the walk about and stop by Clan Procrastination.  We'll be doing our initiations on the Saturday night of that weekend.

It's dehydrated just add water

prothos

after reading this from the web site. i have a 2 wheel drive truck and a 24' trailer. how bad is the sand and the actual road

We cannot support large RVs or travel trailers due to the sharp turn into the campgrounds and the soil conditions. Pop-up tent trailers and small travel trailers (under 20 ft) should be able to make it into the General/Open campgrounds. Trailers should be set up off the gravel road in the General/Open campgrounds, where the tow vehicle will remain on the road while backing the trailer into the sandy soil in the campgrounds.

rengypsy

we have several miles of gravel roads.  you wont have any real problems.  if you do, we will lend a hand.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

prothos

thanks for the repy. We should be there around 7pm tonight.
The work thing gets in the way of fun sometimes but i guess we have to do it so we can have the coins for the fun.

prothos

Our first trip to sherwood was enjoyable. The vibe is that of a small village vs a big City like the TRF. The shows were great and the people pleasent and helpfull. I think the crowds on staturday were small due to the rain in the morning and predictions of storms. The camp ground was nice and easy to get into and out.
The only complaints i have is the porta potties need to be cleaned 2 times a day . They got pretty ripe.  The only saving grace was that our Trailer has a bathroom but we try not to user it due to having to dump and flush the tanks. Also no general camping bon fire like TRF.
But i would give them an A+ overall. I think we will try to return next season.