News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why Avaloch dollars?

Started by dstallard, July 21, 2008, 09:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstallard

Sorry for this downer post, but can someone explain to me the reason for using Avaloch dollars instead of actual currency?  We were thinking about visiting this faire for the first time, but I've got to admit that the purple pound thing is a bit of a turn off.  It feels like it's designed to get $20 out of us when we normally would have only spent, say, $18.  (Yes, I know they're transferrable to the next year)

The only other reasoning I can think of is that it keeps the vendors safe because they don't have to keep their eye on a wad of cash while trying to run their booth.

highlandcoo

Avaloch dollars are only necessary for food and beverages. The money exchanges have menu listings for the food booths with prices listed so you can exchange only the exact amount you are planning to spend. You can also use them for performer tips if you find yourself with a couple leftovers and are inclined to tip an extraordinary show that you have enjoyed. All of our craft merchants take regular old fashioned cash. Many of our food booths cashiers are younger folks, so you are correct that it allows a less experienced cashier to handle payments without as much worry of cash falling astray. Quite often you can easily find another patron that will swap you purple for green if you only have a couple left at the end of your day - I have been known to do that if someone asks since I am at faire every day and also need to eat or drink at some point.
Smell better - Buy more SOAP
Feel better - Hug a Bloodhound!

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I found them EXTREMELY annoying!  You had to go to a different location, stand in line to exchange your money for food or drynk, it certainly curbed my spontaneous purchases and oh I'll quit there.  rant rant rant
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Rahne

yes, they are a bit annoying, but you get used to them.  Since we are at the faire almost every weekend we just exchange money first thing when we get there so we have it with us ( before the lines get long at meal time) then if we run out toward the end of the day we exchange more.  If we have left over curency we are back every year we just leave it in our purses for the next faire season.  And there are many regulars at the faire more than willing to buy your Aveloch notes since they will use them.  Just ask, this is a very friendly faire.
"Don't part with your illusions.
When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live"
Mark Twain

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I guess I just had a different experience.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Scotsman

Lady Guinness controls all the money at faire so I didn't even notice ... they sell Smithwicks there though ... I did notice that!!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

anne of oaktower

I didn't particularly care for the Avaloch dollars either.  Can I deal with it?  Of course.  Do I want to?  Not at all!  I have a few left over from last weekend which will remain in my basket for next season (yes, GLMF is the latest addition to our list of preferred faires), but it certainly wouldn't bother me one bit if they would just do away with the blasted things.  More bother than they're worth!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

DuCoeur

Quote from: Scotsman on July 22, 2008, 11:36:30 AM
Lady Guinness controls all the money at faire so I didn't even notice ... they sell Smithwicks there though ... I did notice that!!

Scotsman always looking at the positive...

I will admit that "in the beginning" it was  a bit annoying, and can be frustrating, to this day, when you are parched and you reach into your pouch and see only green (did I drink that much already???).  I do try to cover my days expenses by exchanging early....

And we , the regulars at GLMF, would be happy to exchange with you should you not be returning....

As with any Faire there are highs and Lows...if this is the only low that I can think of then GLMF is doing it right.
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

BeerBlessings

Well, after losing a decent chunk of change due to someone skimming cash, it's not a big surprise why purple dollars come up.

But I'm also used to it, because every Irish festival I've gone to makes you buy tickets which you then use for food or beer.. It makes things easier to keep an eye on the real moolah.

Besides, it's much more entertaining to hear "WHat?! Someone is counterfeiting Avaloch Dollars?!?!" ... And yes, that DID happen last year. WIth fives for whatever reason.. But they figured out what to watch for pretty quickly.

As for a low for GLMF.. Guinness in cans instead of tap is more of a low for me!  ;D

Athena

I admit I was really annoyed when they first implemented the funny money...but you get used to it after a while. The biggest pain is running out of the Avaloch notes when you need them, and it always happens to me when I'm farthest from the exchange booths!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Morwyn

GLMF was the first faire I attended that had these, so really, it was a bit of a novelty, and yes annoying at first, but you do get used to it quickly, and the people they have working the exchange booths are always most pleasant.

BeerBlessings

Plus I get a warm feeling everytime I come across an Avaloch Dollar while digging through things at home... And then I get to thinking "Oh, will you be spent on Newcastle or Smithwicks? And who will I be with? Hrmm...."

So, it really grew on me. Especially as I put my extras on my bookshelf so I see them all the flipping time. :)

trevor ylisaari

Yes, the reason is because food booth workers were skimming cash.
We are talking about thousands of dollars just from one weekend.

Also, before the notes, and the posted menues food prices had a way of varying from day-to-day and worker to worker, as most booths had no prices posted.
You would go to buy someting one day and it would be $5 and the next day it would be $4.

Yes it can be annoying for infrequent visitors.
But for any of you who are haning out with us regulars, we are usually more than happy to buy the extra back from you. As long as it isn't a huge sum of course.
That way, you can go early, and have it on you when you need it.

Also, there are several exchanges that never have a line.
If you are at the Stumble Inn and need LarryBucks, don't go to the exchange across from the bakery, slip down to the one across from the mud pit. About he same distance, less crowded walk, and I have never seen a line there.