News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fire breathing

Started by Rage, July 21, 2008, 10:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rage

So I decided I want learn to breath fire. We had a link with some info on it on the old site.

Does anyone remember the links or have any info.

Lady_Lily

Can't help you with links, but knowing a few of the people out at fest and having talked with them on this particular subject, I suggest you talk with them and learn face-to-face, definitely much safer and the people out at Minnesota are really great at what they do.

Rage

I have been trying to get ahold of Asbestos (Dane) from taste's like burning. He hung around with my brother back in High School. I haven't as of yet been able to get ahold of him so it might wait till fest.

I think LD is is just going to carry around a fire extinguisher and have the 9 and 1 already dialed when I start working on this. Good thing I already put her on my life insurance policy...... ;D

Random Girl

No.  And that is all I am going to say on the topic.  No.
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

PurpleDragon

Do yourself a HUGE favor and before you think about attempting it, you find yourself a good teacher.  (Just because someone can do it, does NOT mean they can teach it). 

I studied other performers for a couple of years before  one approached and offered to teach me. I worked with him extensively going over the basics of safety and the like over and over again before we started discussing fuels and the like.  Eventually I got to breathing and he trained me on several differant styles.  I have since added some of my own and improved on those he taught me. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blushing

http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-Fire-Breathing-Introduction-Fire-Breathing-11_52_194

Pele has some fantastic stuff on her pages ... and a bounty of reasons why NOT to play with fire breathing.

I spoke with Listo of Tribal Circus about fire breathing last weekend ... one of the drummers at faire has been learning/practicing. He told me that he would answer any questions etc. only AFTER I did my "homework," and Pele's site was where he suggested I start.

Note: Tastes Like Burning is at Colorado; Wilsome said at the begining of the season that Asbestos recently became a dad, so he wouldn't likely be visiting Colorado, I'm not sure about other faires.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Rage

PurpleDragon, Thats why I posted the thread. I am not going to even think about this until I find someone good who I feel I can trust.

Harem Pants: My daughter said the same thing.....I won't burn off my face. I planned to ask Dane who I should talk to, him and Dan would not want to teach me.

MBM: I have mastered the art of eating hot food. The hotter the better.

Blushing: Thank you, I will check out the post. Wow thats cool about Dane! good news.

I have wanted to learn to breath/blow fire sense I was young. There are reasons I didn't learn before. LD thinks I am nuts but I am so..... I also want to learn contact juggling. 

DeadBishop

I was all gung ho about wanting to do this too, until a friend almost died from chemical pneumonia while fire breathing.  Accidentally inhaled a small amount of fuel after a big blow.  His lungs were full of chemical burns.  Spent a couple weeks in intensive care.  And no, he wasn't an amateur.  Had been doing it for years.  Hasn't done it since.  Sobered me up from the idea to just hearing his story.

So yeah, if you really want to pursue this, learn everything you can from a pro.  And then learn more.  And don't stop.  You're life depends on it.

R/F.com member since 2003

temper

I'm going to say "what they said" about Fire Breathing -dangerous, full of ways to go wrong, consider carcinogens and aspiration as well as burns. I won't even try it.

That said:
Learn from a pro
Practice your spitting first with water. If you can't spit in a "cloud" this may just not be for you.
Try putting ultrapure in your mouth, this made some people throw up (thus ruling out fire breathing)
Always have a spotter with a wet towel and a burn kit.  Some troupes only do this trick with goggles on for safety.

I have seen two fire breathers set themselves on fire-the first had second-degree burns.
The second we caught in time but he had no facial hair.
Home of Poi is a good place to network. There are many, many fire troupes out there-another resource would be to join tribe.net. If you do, I am
http://people.tribe.net/a7f58716-ad54-43cf-a48a-a88fdbd71f66
and have a pretty exhaustive listing of forums for fire users.

This is not something to take on lightly and I hope you have worked with less volatile fire tricks first.
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Rage

EDIT: Funny enough I was writing this when Temper posted. I fully understand what Temper has said. I may not even go to the point of blowing fireballs. There are many other much safer ways to play with fire <-- ok that make no sense to a sane person.

I used to do some tricks with fire. Mostly using non-dairy creamer which is amazingly flammable. A friend of mine burned his hand pretty bad and I managed to burn all the hair off my face when we used a mixture we had read about and a large mason crock.

I was going to write don't ask, just imagine 4 teenage boys playing with fire and I decided it would be safer to just tell....lol...  :P

The trick I had figured out was a transfer. I would blow non-dairy creamer from my hand into the crock and it would bellow up in flames and then stay light. We always put it out right away so we didn't break the crock. Well I got to close and the bellow up engulfed my face. How I manged not to burn all my hair off and not get severely burned is beyond me. My friend Allen decided to improve the trick. Yeah he didn't. The crock shattered. He got the mixture on his cloths. He got burned when he tried to use his hand to put out the fire. Not a good idea. 

Yeah it was dumb and I don't suggest anyone attempt anything we did. Was it fun oh yes it was very fun. Very dumb but fun non-the-less.

If I do this I am going to get a good teacher to show me.

ANOTHER EDIT: You know I have done some fireworks shows with my uncle. My future son-law and his father do the fireworks shows in Owatonna. My daughter love the fireworks and love to set them off herself. Not sure if that safer or not.

renren

Good luck and be safe!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

temper

Quote from: Rage on July 23, 2008, 09:49:40 AM
ANOTHER EDIT: You know I have done some fireworks shows with my uncle. My future son-law and his father do the fireworks shows in Owatonna. My daughter love the fireworks and love to set them off herself. Not sure if that safer or not.
Fireworks scare the bejeebus out of me LOL
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Rage

I'm not scared of much which makes me wanting to play with fire even stupider (in my mind at least). I think I might be talking myself out of this...lol...

So Temper I found this on a Wicked Jester T-shirt:

Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak but it tempers the strong.

I like the saying. Some things that happened recently, this thread and your name made me think of it.

Random Girl

QuoteHarem Pants: My daughter said the same thing.....I won't burn off my face. I planned to ask Dane who I should talk to, him and Dan would not want to teach me.

This is exactly why I say no.  The boys are good guys, but they don't teach just anyone, and it isn't elitism it is a liability because for every person they teach they are inherently responsible for anything that happens.  Therefore it is a rare breed that they will actually teach.  Both have flat out REFUSED to tell me anything.  And the other fire boys have followed suit.

One of these days I will tell you the tale of the poor kid that Dan brought back to SS one night BY HIS EAR because the kid had been blowing fire right next to the greenman without being trained and without notifying anyone.  Dan was PIIIIISSSSEEEDDD.
~~Nessa~~

Will Gamwell

Quote from: harem_pants on July 23, 2008, 01:04:00 PM
One of these days I will tell you the tale of the poor kid that Dan brought back to SS one night BY HIS EAR because the kid had been blowing fire right next to the greenman without being trained and without notifying anyone.  Dan was PIIIIISSSSEEEDDD.
Ironic!  Dispatch and I were just discussing this young ...person yesterday.

Sean

Noble Dreg

Yeah, I always wanted to do this too but I have enough trouble 'air-breathing'.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Rage

The boys are good guys, but they don't teach just anyone, and it isn't elitism it is a liability because for every person they teach they are inherently responsible for anything that happens.  Therefore it is a rare breed that they will actually teach.  Both have flat out REFUSED to tell me anything.  And the other fire boys have followed suit.

Being as I went to the same high school as Dane I figured he would say No Way. If he remembers me he would for sure say no...lol... I just wanted to ask them about where they thought I should start.

You'll have to tell us the story.

Yeah I have pretty much talked myself out of this. I design medical guidewires, I would hate to have one used on me....

Random Girl

Quote from: Rafe on July 23, 2008, 01:16:55 PM
Ironic!  Dispatch and I were just discussing this young ...person yesterday.

Sean

Yes I am aware, I got the text too, I mostly called to tell her she had the last name WAY wrong.  Stupid kid was being confused with Baby Daddy.  After a discription challenge we determined we were talking about Stupid Kid not Baby Daddy.  But I put in my two cents on the issue and that was that.
~~Nessa~~

Baron Doune

but...

The first time I jumped off a 200 foot cliff...folks said no.

When I did the hang gliding thing in KY...no.

Mine gold in CO...no.

Had that really good time with a duck, no...well I should have listened.

I really think that with the proper knowledge and training you can do anything you want.

Rage if you want to blow fire...learn how to do it...then do it.

groomporter

Quote from: Baron Doune on July 24, 2008, 10:23:53 PM

Rage if you want to blow fire...learn how to do it...then do it.

-As long as you have full medical coverage  ::)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Toarmod

Quote from: Rage on July 23, 2008, 07:28:47 PM
Being as I went to the same high school as Dane I figured he would say No Way. If he remembers me he would for sure say no...lol... I just wanted to ask them about where they thought I should start.

You'll have to tell us the story.

Yeah I have pretty much talked myself out of this. I design medical guidewires, I would hate to have one used on me....

Aren't you an asthmatic too?

*Rage seems to have found a new cure for his bronchial problems... Burn his lungs into submission!* ;D

Rage

Bingo... we have a winner... I had already talked myself out of it a while back.

Yes I have asthma (Chronic Severe). I have powerful lungs but very limited capacity due to the Asthma. Thats why I talk myself out of this everytime I decide I am going to try it.

I have had asthma sense I was two or atleast that's when they found out I had it.  My asthma is far more under control then most people with the same ranking but its never completely under control (Which Synn can relate too). For those who don't know chronic severe means that I could at anytime have an attack bad enough to put me in the hospital or kill me. So yeah this is a stupid dangerous idea for me.

I toy with and always back off. I have no fear of it (another good reason not to do it). I never let my asthma hold me back but I have to think of Ladiedragon and my family when I get these insane ideas in my head.

Being on blood thinners doesn't help the whole thing. 

Just remember I am the guy who lauches bottle rockets by hand until someone (LD & girl child come to mind) reminds me how stupid I am being...lol...

EDIT: now I have just annoyed myself. How am I supposed to have a midlife crisis when I can't do anything fun. Already got the younger girlfriend (love you LD) and the tattoo. I guess I will have to stick to video games.... ;D