News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mead

Started by danielscott, July 22, 2008, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielscott

Hi All,
Do all the pubs at this faire sell the same brand of mead? I went a couple weeks ago, and the Mead seemed very light, and tasted almost watered-down.
I did not get this impression last year (or was it two years ago?)
so I am wondering if It's my imagination, or I just got lucky in the past and found a pub that sells a heartier brand of mead?
-Daniel
Where's the Beer Tent!

Vartha

Well it WAS Spurgeon in years past. Is that what you had?

Lady Renee Buchanan

I had a glass of mead from the Pig & Whistle on July 13th & thought it was awful.  My husband tried to remember what they had in the past (because I wouldn't have known what it was), but he couldn't remember.
Not sweet and honey-tasting like I think of mead, it was almost bitter tasting.  Yuk.  No more for me.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Vartha

This is what Bristol used to carry. They're a Wisconsin company if I'm not mistaken.

danielscott

Hi,
That Spurgeon label looks awfully familiar. I think that's what I had a couple weeks ago. I'll probably head back to the faire before the season is over and see if I can find some other brand. No big deal, lots of beer to be had!
Where's the Beer Tent!

max and kate

TRF carries Chaucers Mead, you can buy it by the bottle. ORF carries Valley Vineyards which is pretty good.
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

Vartha

Chauncers is my fave Mead. There's very few places down here in NW Arkansas that carry it.

max and kate

We both like Chauncers, Max likes Royal Mead by Kuprioski.
Brethren of the Great Lakes
Outlanders
Castleteers
Irish Penny Brigade
M'Cracks

dogglebe

You have to keep in mind that (probably) all ren faires that sell mead, buy the cheapest that they can find.  Often that means honeywine. 

I told a friend, who owns a meadery, that he would sell more to the fairs if he were to keg it instead of bottling it.  It would eliminate the cost of bottles, corks and labels.

Phil