News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Snarked and Snarking~ How do you handle this?

Started by Cilean, July 23, 2008, 02:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on July 23, 2008, 11:38:09 AM
It doesn't matter.  I don't pick on people.  I don't snark people.  For her to say that everyone does it is not accurate.

I'll totally vouch for Heather on this one.  She is the most non-snarky person I know.  :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Miranda

It's all in the delivery:)

This is actually a major issue in all facets of life.  Interpersonal skills are really falling by the wayside.  In the business world, it prevents people from getting jobs for which they are otherwise qualified.

Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

Taffy Saltwater

My uncle, the Caliph, used to say:  The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes by.  Gather up the skull & crossbones & roses skirt & leave.

I have to wear glasses - contacts are out of the question - and am almost always in Crocs (ugliest shoes in the world) because of peripheral neuropathy.  So I try to remember that people do the best they can under their own personal circumstances.
Sveethot!

verymerryseamstress

I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

silverstah

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on July 23, 2008, 01:41:23 PM
I have to wear glasses - contacts are out of the question - and am almost always in Crocs (ugliest shoes in the world) because of peripheral neuropathy.  So I try to remember that people do the best they can under their own personal circumstances.

Have you seen the mary-jane style Crocs?  I don't know if they'd work the same as the regular Crocs for your feet, but they're becoming pretty popular amongst the SCA crowd for nice-looking shoes that pass the "ten foot rule" on muddy sites. :)

Of course - if they don't offer the same support as the regular crocs, that's totally different.  Personal safety comes WAY before any hobby. :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

While cute, I could NEVER wear a Croc. All of them hurt my feet no matter what I do
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Will Gamwell

While visiting another Festival, I showed up in my fest boots, a utilikilt, a period shirt, sunglasses and a silk headwrap.  I got a lot of people who commented about my outfit and how it was period.  I kindly pointed out that I was not a "playtron" and was only there to enjoy the festival as a "paytron".  The boots I wore because they are very comfortable and look better with the utilikilt than any other footwear I own.  The utilikilt speaks for itself on a hot day...or any day for that matter.  The period shirt because it would prevent me from getting burned and was still breathable.  The sunglasses because my eyes are very sensitive to the sun.

Mostly they either moved on or apologized. 

verymerryseamstress

*looks around questioningly* 

Someone was talking smack about a kilted man?   >:(

Pick on my Tevas all ya want, but PLEASE leave those kilted men alone.  They are the reason *I* go to faire.  ;-)

Athena

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

verymerryseamstress

QuoteAmen, Sista!

*chuckle* 
I had a feelin' I wasn't alone.   ;)

DonaCatalina

Back to the original question.
A lot of what you run into with the SCA is "My Laurel told me that it was done such and such"

Sometimes this is 30 year old research that has been handed down through several people to the current crop of Laurels.

Since I am a compulsive reader I can usually come back with "That was thought to be true xxxx but recent modern research has proved xxxx to be true instead".

Herbert Norris used to be considered the last word on Tudor Fashion, but many of his statements have been disproved by more recent examinations of records and extant garments.
But there are still people in the SCA who swear by him.

As for handling the snarking, just smile and say "How Interesting"
Unsolicited negative criticism is the height of rudeness and deserves no further comment.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on July 23, 2008, 03:37:13 PM
QuoteAmen, Sista!

*chuckle* 
I had a feelin' I wasn't alone.   ;)

HUZZAH to that

No not alone. not hardly. As I just said in the CoRF, What women doesn''t love a man in a kilt
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

verymerryseamstress

I swoon in the wake of the kilted man.

You can quote me on that.   ;)

knarlyknot

I bought my husband a kilt for MY birthday last year! ;)

Miranda

Quote"That was thought to be true xxxx but recent modern research has proved xxxx to be true instead".
Great point Dona Catalina!  There are always great new resources coming to light.  I can think of some of the books I first used when I started costuming...
http://www.amazon.com/Elizabethan-Costuming-Years-1550-1580/dp/0963022008 this one was supposedly the be all and end all...
Then I discovered Janet Arnold.
Honestly a good laurel doesn't rest on it....(the laurel that is)...they strive to do still better.   They keep raising the proverbial bar.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.