News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Because you can never have too many posts about grommets!

Started by Lady Caroline, July 23, 2008, 04:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Caroline

I just finished the bodice for my first garb (will post pic in the next day or so) and it required 28 grommets.  LOL not H/A, but I liked the pattern.  (And I hate to admit it, but the look of all those nice shiney grommets in neat little rows really appeals to me).

But anyway, it took me FOREVER to put in all those grommets, and I had to marvel at  how much longer it would have taken me to actually sew them in by hand.  My hat goes off to all of you that strive for accuracy, and have the patience to do this.  I could never do it.

I'm sure the grommet company will never go out of business, as long as I'm around!

Trillium

Personally, I hand sew eyelets because me and grommets have issues with each other...  I'll be the first to admit to not caring about h/a ( I prefer my faerie garb).  My newer faerie bodice is one with the 2 separate front panels and it was 30ish eyelets to sew.  I worked on it at lunch and in the evenings for a few weeks!

Can't wait to see your pics!
Got faerie dust?

Miranda

With practice it gets to the point when you can stitch an eyelet nearly as quickly as setting a grommet.  Another plus...I  can put in my eyelets at midnight, without waking up my roommate or neighbors with pounding.

My effigy bodies have 52 eyelets ( laced up front and back) and took me about 3.5 hours to finish the lacing holes.

Congrats on finishing your garb though...its a nice feeling of accomplishment.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

gem

Quotebut the look of all those nice shiney grommets in neat little rows really appeals to me

Me, too!  I *love* my fairwear bodices b/c of this!  They're like ring belts, boots, and skirt hikes--part of the Fair look, having nothing at all to do with H/A.

isabelladangelo

This is why I went to lacing rings.  It's easier then eyelets and it doesn't tear the fabric up like grommets.  It's the best of all worlds!   ::)

gypsylakat

I love the look of grommets honestly, but for some reason i found that stitching eyelets makes me happy... good for the soul (which is my favorite phrase right now) so if it's bought goods i would get grommets (as long as it's fairewear, if i'm striving for any kind of h/a-ness i'll stitch em myself if need be.... ) if it's something i made i have grommet issues so I will be happy to stitch them
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Margaret

Quote from: Lady Caroline on July 23, 2008, 04:11:56 PM
I just finished the bodice for my first garb (will post pic in the next day or so) and it required 28 grommets.  LOL not H/A, but I liked the pattern.  (And I hate to admit it, but the look of all those nice shiney grommets in neat little rows really appeals to me).

But anyway, it took me FOREVER to put in all those grommets, and I had to marvel at  how much longer it would have taken me to actually sew them in by hand.  My hat goes off to all of you that strive for accuracy, and have the patience to do this.  I could never do it.

I'm sure the grommet company will never go out of business, as long as I'm around!

Oh, Lady Caroline, I am so right there with you!!

I don't have the patience for hand sewing to begin with and the daunting task of sewing eyelets just gives me the shudders.  Also, I guess I don't trust my own hand sewing and the bound eyelets holding up.

Definately - kudos to all of you who can do it.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have done both in the past, sew in eyelets by hand as well as pound in grommets.

I take the easy way out and take everything that needs grommeting to the Shoe Repair. Covering grommets is a lot easier now with a sharp needle and some good Crewle thread.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Annue Brandywine

Hi, I am new (to forums, faire, and sewing garb)  I had my 1st experience with grommets last week while working on dd garb. The grommetter and I have not gotten along very well and I had to go back to the store for more grommets. However I am not skilled enough to sew eyelets by hand so I better improve my grommeting.

Trillium

For those of you who think you don't have the skill for handsewing eyelets, trust me, it doesn't take much to essentially go around in circles.  I avoid handsewing as much as possible but find eyelets pretty simple.  I even explained it to my 13 yo neice when she wanted to fix her bodice (grommets pulled out).  she figured it out in about 20 minutes and has never sewn in her life.
Got faerie dust?

Abigail Fairbottom

Yeah...I've done both too, but for me, pounding grommets is so much more fun!  It's cheap therapy!  :D

Lady Caroline

Quote from: Lady Annue Brandywine on July 24, 2008, 10:20:11 AM
. The grommetter and I have not gotten along very well and I had to go back to the store for more grommets.

Same here!  Except I just gave back the horrible grommeter, got my money refunded, and bought the ones that come with the little metal hammer piece.  So much easier!  One or two whacks, and voila!

Margaret

I love the *whack*!!   :D

yeah - the pliers looking Dritz eyelet/grommet thing is for the birds.  So bad for so many reasons....
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Marietta Graziella

Lady Annue Brandywine...

Hello and welcome to the forums! 

A note about the grommets from the store.  Please use care.  If you are buying the ones from JoAnn's they just aren't sturdy enough to hold up to faireware.  There are folks here that make them work and have had great luck, but me, every time I'd set one it would split and then cut up my fabric.  Quite possibly (or should I say probably), operator error on my part.  lol

Now, the ONLY kind I use are from www.grannd.com   Grannd has the grommets (size 00) and a good setting kit.  I can pound out a whole bodice in less than 30 minutes.  A perfect set every time with no pulling out or split rings. 
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lady Caroline

Oh my!  Look at all of those grommets!  Glorious, glorious grommets! I clicked on that link, and it was like christmas :)  So many  colours to choose from..........