News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Books That Changed My Life

Started by Charlotte Rowan, July 24, 2008, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras Elfwine

"The Sunbird" by Wilbur Smith...started me down the history addict path, and I have never, nor will I ever, recover...
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Blackbead

The Bible
The Upanishads
On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
The Razor's Edge by W.Somerset Maugham
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Lady Alinor

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Holy Bible
The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook - a meal with family and/or friends is a gift to be treasured forever

Fond Regards,
Lady Alinor

Scarlett

Quote from: Sterling Scot on July 27, 2008, 07:59:48 AM

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon! My Mother and sister made me read the first book and I've been up late ever since, even halfway through a second read! Sorry, a quick review:
From Publishers Weekly
Absorbing and heartwarming, this first novel lavishly evokes the land and lore of Scotland, quickening both with realistic characters and a feisty, likable heroine. English nurse Claire Beauchamp Randall and husband Frank take a second honeymoon in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. When Claire walks through a cleft stone in an ancient henge, she's somehow transported to 1743. She encounters Frank's evil ancestor, British captain Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall, and is adopted by another clan. Claire nurses young soldier James Fraser, a gallant, merry redhead, and the two begin a romance, seeing each other through many perilous, swashbuckling adventures involving Black Jack. Scenes of the Highlanders' daily life blend poignant emotions with Scottish wit and humor. Eventually Sassenach (outlander) Claire finds a chance to return to 1945, and must choose between distant memories of Frank and her happy, uncomplicated existence with Jamie.
http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Diana-Gabaldon/dp/0385319959/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217162550&sr=1-1

Wow!  A Male fan of the Outlander Series!  I've been trying to get DuCouer to read this series for years now. These books are truly the best books I've ever read in my life, thus far.  The characters are believable, as well as the fictional premise of time travel.  Fictional characters interact with real historical figures in a plausible, entertaining manner.  I learned a lot of history from this series, as well as falling in love with Scotland.  How did it change my life?  I'm taking Gaelic lessons!   
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

kcdcchef

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe ( no, not kidding )
The Torah
Pride and Prejudice

Blackbead

I understand your reference to TLTW&TW.  I read this series when I was in junior high school (yes, I'm that old) and while the first book was great the rest were not as inspiring, to me anyway.  Did you ever read Lewis' science fiction trilogy - Out from the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength?

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

kcdcchef

Quote from: Blackbead on December 17, 2008, 08:43:20 AM
I understand your reference to TLTW&TW.  I read this series when I was in junior high school (yes, I'm that old) and while the first book was great the rest were not as inspiring, to me anyway.  Did you ever read Lewis' science fiction trilogy - Out from the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength?

Blackbead

i liked every single book in the chronicles or narnia, but i admit, they all let me down in comparison to the original. i kept reading the voyage of the dawn treader hoping it would compare, but alas, it did not. or even the last one. strange, wasnt it??

i always resented those that said c.s. lewis devout faith to his christianity was exactly what his writing was. it was not. he loved science fiction, and was indeed a strong christian man, but i always resented hearing that aslan was somehow jesus and the other evils ( white witch for one ) were lucifer or something ( gee, can you tell i am not a christian??? )

yeah, i read that trilogy, actually enjoyed it more than the last 6 books in the chronicles or narnia!!

Trillium

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Got faerie dust?

Lady Renee Buchanan

I may have replied to this post in the past, but I read something else that really moved me:  The Shack.  I'd reccommend it to anyone.

Someone also told me about a book called The Gift.  It was also made into a movie in 2007 called The Ultimate Gift.  I haven't read it or seen the movie, but I plan to read it during the holidays and then see the movie afterwards.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Molden

Funny - I too find myself here again. I've come across 2 that are being a huge help in areas that I'm dealing with currently.

Being Peace - Thich Nhat Hanh. A thin book, thick on substance...I will be re-reading it again soon.

Awareness - Anthony De Mello. Another thin book, also thick on substance...it mixes Christian spirituality, Buddhist parables, Hindu breathing exercises and psychological insight. He challenges us to leave this go-go world of illusion and become aware.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Trillium on December 17, 2008, 12:53:17 PM
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I loved that book. Have you read Mary Stewart's Arthurian series?
The Hollow Hills, The Crystal Cave, The Last Enchantment, The Wicked Day.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

*Teach*

Lord of the Rings... Got me interested in reading "real" books and novels
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant... Helped me in a rough time to realize that I can survive and thrive. Never ever give up.
The Prayer of Jabez... Religious stuff aside, it taught me that I have to make sure I am ok first and then I can help others better.
Illusions... Life here is fleeting. Do what makes yourself happy. There may be an afterlife, there may not be, the only thing that really matters though is right now.

*Multiple books on mixing rum drinks... taught me that variety is the spice of life*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Capt. Morgan

Rachel Naomi Remen's books:

Kitchen Table Wisdom
My Grandfather's Blessings

...and just about anything by Joseph Campbell

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Sapolsky
Energy Medicine by Donna Eden

....to name a few
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Manwariel

The Bible
The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker
and the Tahn Dorn trilogy by L. A. Kelly.