News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A possible alternative for all of you wanna be campers!

Started by Oswyn Fenecote, March 17, 2014, 08:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oswyn Fenecote

Hello everyone! I have a solution, perhaps, until Scarborough is able to get us a campground!

About 20 minutes away from Scarby, is Bardwell Lake. They have tons of amenities, including showers, at a pretty reasonable price. I called them this morning, and got as much info as I figured I would need.

Each campsite is $16-18 per night. Sleeps 10, 2 cars and 2 tents, or a recreational vehicle and a tent. They allow fires in fire pits, and take reservations!!
The downside is that it is 20 min from the faire site, but it's better than nothing! They also allow alcohol, just no glass containers on the beach. I will post the link to the site here as well...

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/bardwell/index.asp

It would be fun if we could get enough folks to kind of "take over" the campground. She mentioned that due to funding not all of the sights (like the one in the woods!!!) are open. Mayhaps if we get a good following, they will be able to expand?

Oswyn Fenecote

DonaCatalina

You could also see who might be interested in "group" camping on the Friends of Faire facebook page.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

dbaldock

Quote from: Oswyn Fenecote on March 17, 2014, 08:49:38 AM
Hello everyone! I have a solution, perhaps, until Scarborough is able to get us a campground!

About 20 minutes away from Scarby, is Bardwell Lake. They have tons of amenities, including showers, at a pretty reasonable price. I called them this morning, and got as much info as I figured I would need.

Each campsite is $16-18 per night. Sleeps 10, 2 cars and 2 tents, or a recreational vehicle and a tent. They allow fires in fire pits, and take reservations!!
The downside is that it is 20 min from the faire site, but it's better than nothing! They also allow alcohol, just no glass containers on the beach. I will post the link to the site here as well...

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/bardwell/index.asp

It would be fun if we could get enough folks to kind of "take over" the campground. She mentioned that due to funding not all of the sights (like the one in the woods!!!) are open. Mayhaps if we get a good following, they will be able to expand?

One thing to beware of, if you go to dinner after a day at Scarby, is noted on their FAQ page:

If I arrive after 10:00pm at a camping park, will I be able to get in the park? No, our parks are open from 6:00am until 10:00pm, after that the parks are closed for security purposes. You may leave but will not have access to re-enter unless you park at the gate (do not block the entrance or exit) and have to walk back to your site.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

replicant

We used to camp there for Scarby, nice place and I recommend it.

ravic

Be aware that there are 4 or 5 campgrounds there. They are all Corp of Engineers but they do not all have the same amenities. Choose wisely.

FreyBjorn

I'm looking into camping there starting from 5/10-5/19 and catching part/all of both weekends at Scarby.  I haven't decided which park yet but I'll let you know.

This link is where you can buy an America the Beautiful pass which can get you 50% off some of the park services such as camping at this and all parks run by the Park Service.  If you plan to camp a bunch this year or stay for a while like I am, it can pay for its $80 price tag pretty quickly.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

prothos

so what is the nearest rv parks to the festival