News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I want to be a toy maker

Started by Hoowil, March 26, 2014, 10:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoowil

I am currently part of a group that portrays peasant archers and demonstrates longbow archery. While this is fun, and I enjoy it, it struck me that most of our group do not have a character behind who they are otherwise. The research and work that goes into doing the archery does take a fair amount of time, and it is what we get brought in to demonstrate. We do have a few bowyers, and almost everyone makes their own arrows, but as what would be peasant and middle class conscripts in the English army, it strikes me that I should have some other background as well. We have, depending on the event, anywhere from 4-12 kids in our encampment, plus those from other encampments that come hang out with us since we have so many kids. I was looking into information about period toys and games, trying to find simple things to make to give the kids something to play with. It has inspired me. I want to be a toy maker. I have found some information on a few toys and games, and even that there was a French ball makers' guild, recognized by Louis XI, and some slightly disturbing regulations on ball making (like no filling balls with rocks). I guess more research is needed. I'm going to try to find any reference to an English counterpart to the ball makers' guild, or other toy makers. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Grammercy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Traveler

This sounds like an awesome idea.  You'll be quite popular with all the little ones, that's for sure, and I'm sure some of the parents as well.  Unfortunately I don't have any advice to give you, but I did just want to encourage you with the concept.  I'd love to hear what you manage to put together.
May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.  May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.  And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. - A Simple Traveler.

Aderin

"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.