News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

2014 Coloado Invasion (now featuring outlaws)!

Started by CapnJack, March 29, 2014, 03:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnJack

Hello again folks!  I'm sure everyone here is getting excited for opening day at Scarby!  I wish I could be with you!

For the last several seasons, as some of you know, a few of us mountain-folk from Colorado have been visiting Scarborough, usually on closing weekend.  Last year I was lucky enough to be able to come visit your beautiful festival for the first time, and I was totally enchanted.  I never even imagined how beautiful it could be.  I had a wonderful time, although I fear I missed some things because, A) I became miserably dehydrated (and therefore disoriented) for most of one of the days, and B) having never been there before, I wasn't sure exactly what to do, where to go, or how to properly "play" at your faire.  What I really discovered when I visited was that I am no longer content to simply be a patron anymore - at any given festival.  I discovered that I need to be performing in some capacity to really get the most out of my time, and though I was technically there as a "guest performer" last year, I found that I didn't actually perform much, due to the reasons above.  Well this year, I mean to change that!

So we're already planning our closing weekend invasion, and I'm getting really excited, because I have a new scheme up my sleeve.  As some of you may remember from my posts here in 2013, for many years at the Colorado faire I played "Captain Jack," (yes, that Captain Jack).  It was a lot of fun, but eventually it got a little old.  I still do Jack now and then, but mostly my interests have moved on to other things, and I've realized over the last few years that I have a passion for the legends of Robin Hood.  It's actually something I've been intensely interested in since I was as young as I can remember, but for a while the pirate thing kind of eclipsed it for me.  Well now it's back with a vengeance.

So this year, I have assembled a team of the best outlaws I know, and we are going to descend on Scarby for closing weekend as Robin Hood and his Merry Men!

Ideally, I want to make sure to interact and "play" with as many castmembers, playtrons, and patrons as I can manage.  However, I am always open to advice and/or suggestions.  Should we do anything to avoid stepping on the toes of any established peformers at Scarby?  We don't want to offend anyone who might already be doing it, since it's a pretty common ren faire act.  Would you have any suggestions of people we should seek out, who you think will play well with us?  And in general, do you have any suggestions about what sorts of things would go over well, and get patrons really excited?  I have some of my own ideas for bits, etc. but I would love input from those who have been at Scarborough Faire for years, and have their finger on its beating pulse, as it were.

Other than that, I just plan on seeing more, hydrating more (that one especially), interacting more, and generally trying to connect with all the people on the forums whom I completely missed last year due to my being simply swept away by my first experience there.

Anyway, once again, I hope all is well with the festival, and that your opening weekend goes well!  I can't wait to see you all once again!
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Dissension

WELCOME!  As an "Enemy of the State" myself, I've had (still do, actually) some of the same concerns as you.  I was worried about ruffling someone's nickers, but I quickly learned what will pass, and what will get you shunned.   Everybody is very nice and the cast is top notch.  All the locals I've met have been super-friendly and approachable.  Great group of people!  I've listed some suggestions below.

Don't try to smuggle alcohol in, or out.  You will be chased and tackled by men in kilts, which usually ends up with an embarrassing situation.  NOTHING gets by those guys (and girls).  They will make you finish your drink or pour it out before you cross.   

Keep the heckling PG-13.  Even then, don't expect ANYONE to just laugh it off and take it.  The cast, especially.  You'll need years of therapy if you tick one of them off.  You'll have your arse handed to you before you can think to apologize.  Not only will they make you cry, but they'll ridicule you mercilessly for it. 

I wouldn't smoke pot inside the gate.  You'll either get a "Talkin To" by someone official, or mobbed by a butt-load of the staff and playtrons insisting you try some of theirs.  You'll be walking sideways by the end of the night and will have dropped $200 on food alone!   The parking lot seems safer.Good times!  I wouldn't know firsthand, though.  I've never touched the stuff.  :D

Wells Bombardier on tap.  Enough said.

Scaring children is both accepted and encouraged.  Just try not to cuss...very much.

Unwelcome kilt checks (if you're a dude) will usually get your arse beat.  Seen it.  Apparently rednecks in kilts get all wiggy about other men checkin out their manhood.  I don't understand it either. 

Make sure and stop by Naturecraft and buy at least 2 pounds of Dragon Mint soap.  It's the most expensive soap you'll ever buy and probably the best as well.  The Dragon Mint soap will keep your stones cool and they will tingle for hours!  My wife says that it makes my "sword" smell like a candy cane.  BONUS!  https://www.facebook.com/naturecraftusa

You'll notice that everyone you talk to will be friendly and happy.  Take note of how polite a society can be with the knowledge that just about EVERYONE carries at least 1 firearm. 

Make sure and look up some of the folks that post here.  Myself included.  I could never have too many friends.

Basically, you'll get back what you put out.  Act like a horse's arse, you'll be ridiculed mercilessly.  Act like a gentleman, you might just find a bunkmate for the night.  We look forward to seeing yall!

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

VIII

'Tis unfortunate that thou hast apprised us of thine imminent arrival, thou band o' scurrilous knaves, for we shall be fore armed aforetimes!  ;)

Seriously, though, play with us and we'll gladly play with you!

(Has your GM-or-Director contacted our GM-or-Director about 'passes' to Scarborough?)
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

CapnJack

Thanks so much guys!  I'm sorry I haven't replied yet, but basically the last month has just been a non-stop marathon of trying to get everything ready for your faire.

I'm getting really excited.  I think we've put together a great band of Merry Men, and we've even got a sword fight planned and choreographed for the lane on Sunday between myself as Robin Hood and another one of our group as Sir Guy of Gisborne.  We're working that out with the fight coordinator presently, but so far it looks like we're good to go.

Otherwise, we would really love to play as much as possible with as many of you as possible!  Thank you so much for your support, Your Majesty!  We will have fun attempting to thwart, harass, and/or evade you and your men at any and all opportunities!

That being said, I'm in need of last-minute ideas for bits we can run in the lane.  I really want to play with "robbing from the rich" as much as possible, so I have a bag full of over 300 "gold sovereigns" (actually solid brass custom coins from a token-making company) that I would like to use in any way possible to "take" them from the nobility and give out to patrons.  So if anyone here can think of fun and entertaining ways we can do this, and that will be fun for patrons to either watch or participate in, I would be extremely grateful!  Any thoughts?  Or any thoughts in general for "Robin Hood" themed bits we could run?  We've got a few in mind, but I'm always looking for more.

As for passes, yes!  We've gotten that all squared away, and are on the list as guest performers!  There are also several of us who are not part of the Robin Hood group, but coming in a guest performance capacity as well.

As for the advice from Dissension: thank you sir!
One thing I do have to point out that I find amusing is that you immediately brought up the subject of pot.  Yes, yes, I know, we're from Colorado.  But honestly, I don't smoke the stuff (or take it in any other form, for that matter), and so far as I know, neither do most all of the other people coming down with us.  I can safely say that I am already terrified of being pulled over a hundred times on the way down and searched, simply because of our Colorado license plates.  But either way, you'll have no trouble with us tokin' it up, haha.

Anyway guys, we're all really excited to come down, and can't wait to see everyone!  If you notice us walking around, please feel free to say hello!  I'm positive I won't get around to saying hi to everyone, or possibly even recognize everyone I said I WAS going to say hi to (as we know, the faire can get a little chaotic at times), but I'd love to bump into as many as possible, and to play with anyone who is willing!

Cheers everyone, and I'll see you on Saturday!
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain