News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tips for Hat Construction...

Started by Rowan MacD, March 17, 2014, 08:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Sorry, It was Lady K who mentioned it  :P.  I think I visualize what you are talking about ... Thank you both for the hints. Gem, the link helped a lot!
   I will be lining the crown tonight, if I have time after finishing the brim. then I join the two  together and take some pictures.
   The next project will be the same size/style hat with a 16 pleat, draped crown.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rowan MacD

I scoured the local Hancock's and Joann's...and both are completely out of quilt binding of any kind in all colors except for 1/4" twill in black (!?)
   Apparently we have some rabid quilters here.  There are slots for the binding everywhere, and all are empty.
   I will have to settle for whip stitching the crown lining in place.

The hat and crown are joined and the whole looks lovely!  Hubby tried it on, (lining not whip stitched own yet) and commented that it's very...tall.
  I mentioned that once there is a hatband in place, the crown will appear a bit shorter; and I showed him a period picture to prove that this style was worn, and yes, the crown really is supposed to be like that, with a narrower brim than he is used to.   It is a tall hat, after all, and it looks just like the one on the Lynn McMasters site in a different material.
   His favorite Tall Toad 'tall' hat is not really a tall hat, the brim is too wide and the crown too low. It's more in the style of a riding hat, and he seems to prefer it.
  Oh well. But hey, the fabric is the same as my green dress (and his doublet) so I will happily take it if he does not want to wear it.  We wear approximately the same size, since I have thick hair. I have some Sapphire and Sage bling that would look fabulous  ;D.
   This does not change my plans for the draped crown hat, but I may make that one in black velveteen, to wear with my black and gold.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt