News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Front Gate/Parking?

Started by Lady L, April 23, 2014, 08:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady L on May 29, 2014, 01:48:20 AM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on May 28, 2014, 11:26:33 AM
Faire communication is not the best  :)

So true. I really don't understand why they won't let us know these important things and then there is always chaos on opening weekend. After all these years, things should run smoothly, maybe with a few minor glitches. It just makes things worse than it needs to be.

Thanks for trying to help, guys. I appreciate it.

I suppose it makes good business sense for the PTB to  keep any negative information out of the public eye.
   Unless you are a local, once you make the drive; you will move heaven and earth to attend at least one day, no matter how much of a pain it might be to get there, and find parking/camping, but you will probably not be coming back. 
   David and I want to make this faire before the Quarry gets it all.
   Google earth shows notable encroachment by the miners, just since last year.
  As an outside observer, I can't see the Faire being able to stay there for many more years, no matter what the management wants to feed the public.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady L

We live an hour's drive from the site. It takes a lot of gas for the van to drive there and then find out one can't park anywhere close, even with having a handicap parking permit. I also have heard about people that waited over 3 hours to catch a shuttle. No one wants to spend hours driving there and then wait 3 hours for a shuttle. It just isn't worth that. I am sure there will be the die hard playtrons that will come out, no matter what. But, it takes more than that to run a show. I owned a shop there for 15 years and it was tough to sell enough to break even and that was when attendance was 350,000. The past 5 years or so, most of the shopkeepers I talked to were also having a tough time, so it wasn't about the type of product or the price. Booth fees go up every year, ticket prices go up, attendance and sales go down. The gap just gets wider. Entertainment can move to a different site, but moving a shop is costly, rebuilding is costly. I know some shops bailed in 2012 and I expect more to do the same. There were a lot of complaints from the public on MNRFs fb page the past 2 years. With the photos and complaining, what are they keeping from the public now? Word is out now. It's sad, but I also can't see how this can continue, even though they say it will. The 2014 poster still says, "free parking" but how far away is that free parking?

It is always better for a business to keep returning customers, than try to gain new ones. Only, they aren't.

When I said "why don't they let us know these important things" I was referring to the participants. When shopkeepers show up opening day and don't know where/how to get into their shop, there are problems that could have been easily avoided with some communication from management. My complaints about specifics are many, so I won't post them here.

Butch-If I can't park close, I am not going to fest at all. I mean, I can't, if I don't have access, why bother? Queens lot is not handicap accessible. Nothing I can do about it. I kept hoping things would turn around, but they are getting worse, not better. I'm old now, I give up.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

groomporter

Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 10, 2014, 12:11:43 PM

As an outside observer, I can't see the Faire being able to stay there for many more years, no matter what the management wants to feed the public.

Since it has now been mentioned elsewhere. I've been saying it openly. Our booth contracts this year stated in writing that MNRF would continue in the current location through the 2016 season, but after that it could be moving and crafters in good standing would be invited to rebuild.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Butch

Quote from: Lady L on June 11, 2014, 02:54:26 AM
If I can't park close, I am not going to fest at all.
Well how unfortunate.  I completely understand your position, and hate that you have to miss doing what you (and most of us here in this forum) really love to do because of mining/construction.  It is unfortunate that the management is not (or does not appear to be) preparing for the parking for all of the attendees.  If parking turns out to be a fiasco, the word will certainly get out, and attendance will drop off SHARPLY.  The ONLY people that will be there will be the die hard playtrons.
What a drag.

groomporter

Someone on Facebook posted
"if you look at what's left of the front parking lot, Queen's lot, and the 169 lot, you actually have more parking then you did with just the front lot."

Butch

IS there more than one entrance for the public?  Actually, is there more than one way into the parking lot(s), and is there more than one gate?  Please pardon my ignorance, but I visit Shakopee but once per year (I live in Kansas City).

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We too, only visit once or twice and as far as I know we can only enter on the South - I wonder where we will park this year.

the other entrance on the North we used to 'sneak' through but they had guards there early the last couple years (it actually the gate that you exit)

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

groomporter

Quote from: Butch on June 11, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
IS there more than one entrance for the public?  Actually, is there more than one way into the parking lot(s), and is there more than one gate?  Please pardon my ignorance, but I visit Shakopee but once per year (I live in Kansas City).

I believe last year once the original lot filled they started directing people to the parking lot on the north end of site near the new "Queen's gate", but they were still encouraging public to come in the entrance on Hwy 169. They try to keep the Hwy 41 entrance as a participant entrance especially now that participant parking is way out closer to Hwy 41.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: groomporter on June 11, 2014, 08:05:56 AM
Quote from: Rowen MacD on June 10, 2014, 12:11:43 PM

Since it has now been mentioned elsewhere. I've been saying it openly. Our booth contracts this year stated in writing that MNRF would continue in the current location through the 2016 season, but after that it could be moving and crafters in good standing would be invited to rebuild.

This is actually a relief. 
  I do not wish to see any faire decline, with the management denying it to the bitter end to squeeze a few more bucks out of a fading reputation-I've seen that happen; and it's not pretty.    Once a faire gets a bad rep, it's forever; those customers are gone, never to return.  No matter how much it improves later on, a fresh start will be an uphill battle against the bad experiences over just the last few years.
   MNRF is already suffering, if attendance and patronage is falling off.   If you check out the reviews of the Halloween attraction at the same site, all you read is 'chaotic, crowded, too expensive' and constant complaints about parking and the shuttle bus.  Those customers also mentioned that it used to be much better, but they won't be coming back. 
  That's bad, because it looks like it's going the way of K-Mart.

If the current discontent being made known by patrons and loyal fans on FB and other forums is any indication-MNRF needs to find a way to gently acknowledge the issues, and let the public know things will get better in the near future.
   Hope is a BIG motivator.

I have to admit that parking is a BIG thing for me-I don't like the idea of leaving my truck in a distant spot and shuttle busing to the event.  Been there done that-and it's a show stopper for me.  I don't want to make a 6 hour drive and put up with that.  I did it twice in KC for the Celtic games, and it's a serious pain in the wahoo.
    I'm not handicapped, nor do I need any other special consideration, but I do want to have access to my truck during the day for A/C, to change clothes if needed, and to refill my non-mineral water bottle-Hubby can't drink tap or 'mineral enhanced' water (kidney stones) and we generally don't consume soda or alcohol.
IWG wench #3139 

Lady L

Quote from: groomporter on June 11, 2014, 08:05:56 AM

Invited? More like forced. As in, rebuild or you are out.

Lady L

Quote from: Butch on June 11, 2014, 08:17:35 AM

Well how unfortunate.  I completely understand your position, and hate that you have to miss doing what you (and most of us here in this forum) really love to do because of mining/construction.  It is unfortunate that the management is not (or does not appear to be) preparing for the parking for all of the attendees.  If parking turns out to be a fiasco, the word will certainly get out, and attendance will drop off SHARPLY.  The ONLY people that will be there will be the die hard playtrons.
What a drag.

Thank you for understanding. It is a tough decision, but I don't have any other option. I used to go there for enjoyment, to view original art, be inspired and relax. That atmosphere has long gone. Now, it is just frustrating and annoying. I can do without that.

Lady L

Quote from: Butch on June 11, 2014, 09:49:14 AM

I don't think anyone knows what will happen with that. Last year, the main lot and the Queen's lot were not connected. So, if you came in from the south to the main lot, there was no way to get to the Queen's lot from there. You would have to go out and around and then come back in from the other side. Will that change? Who knows. There used to be one main gate in the front, south side. Now, there will be a smaller gate across the site. Will they use both gates? Who knows. Shops that were located "up front" by the gate will now be at the back. If someone wants to rent a costume, for example, the shop by the front that rented costumes will now be at the back. Confusing? Yes. I don't know if they will allow the public to enter from 41 this year.

Lady L

Rowen MacD, I agree with everything you posted. If they would just  plan a workaround, or explain how it is going to work, it would  help immensely. People could make better plans, such as leaving earlier, or not wasting time sitting in line and then find out "you can't get there from here"

It seems like they are going about it in the worst way possible.

Rowan MacD

Other than putting the entire Faire on Hiatus until a new site is found (as quickly as possible) , the only thing left is to eek out enough money from the existing setup to at least break even until the move. 
  From what you are all saying-I think they are pretty close to that now,  MNRF may need to downsize a bit to hang on until the new site is ready, but it will not die, of that I'm quite certain.   It will be a tough couple of years, but the faire will need that dedicated core of Playtrons to keep it going. 
   The casual day tripping Patrons, who are a huge part of the gate, are giving up due to the parking hassle and generally unpleasant atmosphere (not the faires' fault).  It will take a few seasons after the move to get them back, but it will happen.
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We visit this faire at least twice if not more each season.  for us if it becomes a hassle, we will just visit other large faires more often, like Briston, KC which we now only visit once per year.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell