News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb finds!

Started by isabelladangelo, May 01, 2014, 04:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Actually, Rani, I'd use the rest for a pair of 19th c bloomers to put on under my Victorian gowns....  The Victorians LOVED ribbon embroidery.

return1509closeup par Isabella, on ipernity

See the painting above?   Although the shoes below are the wrong type of material, it's hard not to see the resemblance.

015 par Isabella, on ipernity

I bought these at the thrift store for $3.50.  Now, to make that dress and have my cat play with a ball of yarn.  Believe it or not, it's the second part that will be hard....

gem

Isabella, I love that painting! My standard Fair shoes are a pair of tan maryjanes from Travelsmith, that I bought just because of that little girl and her green stockings!

Butch

Shoes!  I love seeing how people garb up with shoes!

Rani Zemirah

Ooooh... bloomers are a wonderful idea!  Thanks, Isabella!  :)

Those shoes are wonderful!  I've been looking for a good pair of Mary Janes for ages, but I have to have a really supportive cushioned sole, so I might need to find something I can modify to work for me.  Great price for them! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on May 19, 2014, 05:19:49 PM

Those shoes are wonderful!  I've been looking for a good pair of Mary Janes for ages, but I have to have a really supportive cushioned sole, so I might need to find something I can modify to work for me.  Great price for them!

I just buy whatever fits (I apparently have a very low heel) and throw a couple of Dr Scholls inside.  It works wonders. 

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 19, 2014, 06:10:54 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on May 19, 2014, 05:19:49 PM

I just buy whatever fits (I apparently have a very low heel) and throw a couple of Dr Scholls inside.  It works wonders. 

I wish I could do that... but with my arthritis and fibromyalgia I have to have a really good cushioned rubber sole or my feet start hurting right away, and by the end of the day I feel basically crippled.  It can take me several days to recover from Faire as it is, but if I wear flat shoes it's always soooo much worse.  I wish my insurance would cover custom orthotics, but that's not going to happen.  Mostly I usually just wear Earth Spirit sandals with a leather upper, and they pass well enough, unless it's cold (every once in a while at TRF there will be a chilly day), and then I have a pair of boots that will also pass, but only because they are hardly ever seen. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Jade

Found these at goodwill for $1 each

isabelladangelo

Very cool, Jade!   I bet you can find someone at faire to etch them, if you wanted.  Are they pewter?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Over the weekend at the Janesville Renaissance Festival, I bought this lovely skirt with all kinds of designs and trim that will be perfect to wear as a dressy skirt or with bodices for faire. If I am going to spend money on something nice, I am going to get a lot of use out of it.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

Jade, those are wonderful!  Great find!  If they are pewter, and older than 1970's, I would check to see if there is any lead content, just to be on the safe side... but they might also be aluminum, and perfectly safe.

LadyK, are you going to show us a photo of your new skirt? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Jade

They are aluminum, so perfectly safe, thanks. Getting them etched would be really cool, I'll have to suggest it to the couple I'm gifting them to. I bought one at faire years ago, and now keep finding them at second hand stores. I never can pass them up, so at this rate I'll have equipped all of my friends!

Rani Zemirah

Oh, that's so nice of you!  I pick up a lot of things for friends, as well... although quite a bit if it usually just goes into the "guest garb and accessories" bins, since we tend to introduce as many people as possible to Faire, and usually end up garbing them for their first few visits.  We have garb in all different sizes, and a few different styles, as well.  I'm always on the lookout for extras, especially male garb, since it's a bit harder to come across than things that the ladies can use. 

It's so much fun to see the look on our friend's faces when they see our selection of garb/costuming!  I wish we had a spare room where we could have it all hung up on display racks, like in a costume shop!  I have one heavy-duty iron rack made from rebar in my room that holds our cloaks, heavier outer wear, full length chemises and full skirts... but it would be nice to be able to display all of the bodices and corsets, as well.  Oh!  The rack, itself, was a "garbing" find at a yardsale, as well!  LOL  I paid $10 for it close to 9 years ago, and it still holds pride-f-place in my bedroom!  :D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Sorry for the double post, but no one else has posted since my last one over a week ago, and I just stumbled across something today that I HAD to share!  ;D  heheh 

These are black Italian leather boots by Sudini, made in Italy, that I found today at a yard sale for $10!  They are back laced, and have a wide calf and a wide width, so they are the first pair of knee length pull-on boots that I have owned in over 25 years... and I can hardly WAIT to wear them!  They were only worn twice by the original owner, and then she had some medical issues that kept her from being able to get them on... and the sole is in perfect condition.  If I can find a really good pair of comfortable insoles for them I might even consider wearing them to Faire, even though they have a very slight (wide-based, NOT pointy) heel.  They are perfect for my Pirate garb, and I should even be able to make them work for Steampunk, as well... so wearing them for indoor events will definitely be happening!   

I also found a brand new Bota bottle that I will be covering in leather, as well. 

Went to a local thrift store today, also, for "Final Friday .88 day" (all clothing and "misc." items that are not tagged with "current" color tags are .88 each). and picked up 3 beautiful (but small) leather pencil skirts that will be dismantled and used in this, and other projects. 

Oh... and at that same yard sale I also found a bolt of gold braid/tasseled trim with at least 20 yards on it, plus another couple of yards of 2 different purple braids and tassels and a few tasseled curtain tie-backs, all for another $10!  It was a good day...  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Jade

Wow! I need your luck! I've been frequenting garage sales, second hand stores, etc. For poker chips with no luck. I'm having a Vegas themed murder mystery party soon and chips are ridiculously priced at stores!
I just love those boots! What an amazing find!

Jade

And your luck rubbed off...

Found both of these for $20 total at a flea market! Woot!