News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

General garb critique/advice

Started by ledtampa, February 12, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 15, 2014, 06:02:25 AM
Wow! Personal attacks are becoming rampant in this thread!  ;D   Back to garb...

What would be a really cool ensemble for a dirty old man?  I need to branch out a little with my garb.

A towel with grease and cooking stains on it to carry around as an accessory to the rest of your garb.     ;D

Hoowil

Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 15, 2014, 09:57:59 AM
Wow! Personal attacks are becoming rampant in this thread!  ;D   Back to garb...

What would be a really cool ensemble for a dirty old man?  I need to branch out a little with my garb.

A towel with grease and cooking stains on it to carry around as an accessory to the rest of your garb.     ;D
Now I want to get a plain single color beach towel, get it all stained and grimy, and wear it as a toga. Tell everyone I'm a house elf.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Hoowil on May 15, 2014, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: isabelladangelo on May 15, 2014, 09:57:59 AM

Now I want to get a plain single color beach towel, get it all stained and grimy, and wear it as a toga. Tell everyone I'm a house elf.

You are too tall.  Might work for the kids though.   ;D

isabelladangelo

Okay, back to the original topics - sort of.  I would LOVE to see someone do this:

Fur tails, in the 16th century, were what tin foil hats are today.  (Think What's the Frequency, Kenneth? http://youtu.be/jWkMhCLkVOg)  Not exactly dirty old man, but pretty crazy works.    ;D  The garb is pretty simple too - stick a bunch of fur tails randomly to a piece of white linen for a tabbard (to stop the voices, of course!).  Wear this over a pretty simple pair of trousers and doublet.  Don't forget your hat - apparently paper hats were en vogue even for the crazy side of life in the Renaissance.   ...I think I even remember seeing a painting where one crazy had an eyepatch. 

Rowan MacD

That fur tail picture of yours has been on my mind for a while now.  Was it to ward off evil spirits.. or fleas? I would love to know the story behind the practice.
   Unusual garb like this just tickles my interest-Like Butch's shaggy wool cap commonly used by french seamen,which later became the signature headpiece of the ship's carpenter.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 15, 2014, 06:19:15 PM
  That fur tail picture of yours has been on my mind for a while now.  Was it to ward off evil spirits.. or fleas? I would love to know the story behind the practice.
   Unusual garb like this just tickles my interest-Like Butch's shaggy wool cap commonly used by french seamen,which later became the signature headpiece of the ship's carpenter.

I doubt it was the fleas.  This article is really good about the history of beggars and fools wearing foxtails: http://historicmyths.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/myth-1-the-cautionary-tale-of-fox-tails/

Rowan MacD

This article says that there is period reference to using the fox tails under skirts to hide the cleft of the butt?
"There is some evidence that fox tails were being worn as undergarments in the 14th century.  In Chronica Johannis de Reading et Anonymi Cantuariensis, John of Reading complains, in an entry dated 1344, that women were wearing clothes so tight that they wore a fox tail hanging down inside their skirts at the back to "hide their arses."  John of Reading equates this immodesty in dress with the sin of pride and complains that it will surely bring down future misfortune. "
  Apparently, someone back then was wearing tight skirts! I wonder if there are portraits?

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Rowen MacD on May 16, 2014, 08:04:44 AM
  This article says that there is period reference to using the fox tails under skirts to hide the cleft of the butt?
"There is some evidence that fox tails were being worn as undergarments in the 14th century.  In Chronica Johannis de Reading et Anonymi Cantuariensis, John of Reading complains, in an entry dated 1344, that women were wearing clothes so tight that they wore a fox tail hanging down inside their skirts at the back to "hide their arses."  John of Reading equates this immodesty in dress with the sin of pride and complains that it will surely bring down future misfortune. "
  Apparently, someone back then was wearing tight skirts! I wonder if there are portraits?

It was more that the torso was tight.  :-) 

You've probably seen this style dress many times before.  This illumination is from about 20 years after the quote.  The correct term for the dress is "Gothic Fitted Dress".  The guy facing the girl in the illumination is wearing a cotehardie. 

There are a lot of thoughts on the quote and I think I've mentioned a couple of them before.  One is that it was a bustle.  Another is that the qoute isn't meant to be taken seriously- he was attempting to describe how foolish the dress style was by bringing a symbol of the fool - the foxtail.  Sort of "They are all foolish even if they try to hide it."