News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

becoming Rhys

Started by Coch, February 23, 2012, 09:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coch

This is my profile that I have came up with. It is only for Ren faires and not for reenactment. This is the first time I will be going as a charater. Last year I was dressed as a Templar and had no name or answers for any questions asked. So give me your opinion and point out any holes in my profile.

I am Rhys Coch.  I am a English knight born of Welsh descent. Lived in the mid 14th century. My forefather, Coch O Morfa, was a hanged for being a Templar, I wear the colors of the Beauseant, (stained with the blood of his sacrifice ), in his honor. I wear the charge of a Cockatrice.

Rhys Coch

Archer

Castleton's time period is 1539 when Henry VIII was . . . between wives.  

As another character hailing from Wales, you might find it interesting to read a little on Henry's "Laws in Wales Acts" . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_in_Wales_Acts_1535%E2%80%931542

A British born friend (faire vendor) actually born in Wales,  filled me in on some of Henry's actions affecting Wales and that prompted me to further history research out of curiosity to know more about the politics and status of knights from Wales in 1539.  

Castleton's theme makes efforts to represent a castle located near the northern border with Scotland.  Thus, the multitude of kilts and . . . pirates ?   ;D

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Aderin

Quote from: Coch on February 23, 2012, 09:05:47 PM
This is my profile that I have came up with. It is only for Ren faires and not for reenactment. This is the first time I will be going as a charater. Last year I was dressed as a Templar and had no name or answers for any questions asked. So give me your opinion and point out any holes in my profile.

I am Rhys Coch.  I am a English knight born of Welsh descent. Lived in the mid 14th century. My forefather, Coch O Morfa, was a hanged for being a Templar, I wear the colors of the Beauseant, (stained with the blood of his sacrifice ), in his honor. I wear the charge of a Cockatrice.

Love it! Enjoy your days at faire, Rhys Coch!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Archer

Well Ernie, history went out the window this year, eh?
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Merlin the Elder

Mon Dieu! The Archer returns!

I am not certain what I will do in the future, with regards to OkRF. They need to change the entrance/exit, for one thing. Terrible bottleneck. The pre-cannon show is only visible to a few.

Once inside, the faire is nice, and the improvements over the past couple of years are great.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RefMom3

The front was pretty jammed, and I suppose microphones would have helped with the opening welcome. Definitely not accurate, but more fan-friendly.
As far as "Becoming Rhys," I can tell you, Sir Rhys, that there are some very helpful books (sorry--clearly an occupational hazard!) on writing historical fiction, and that will include creating accurately described characters. There is also an article in issue #87 (couldn't they put a date on it?) of "Renaissance Magazine" on developing a Renfaire Character," and I would be more than happy to send you a copy, if you'd like.

(This is Nancy from Facebook ;) )

neuromancer

Quote from: Coch on February 23, 2012, 09:05:47 PM

My thoughts..

I would not go with the Family name you chose. You may think it implies something. Somewhere in the last 500 years, Chicken became synonymous with cowardice. Not exactly a knightly trait.

(You can propose that your martyrdom, inspired the Catholic belief that one should be associated with the other as a slight, but that is not something easily presented. I suggest something more acceptable to the mundanes. Like Sir Hitshisknee). But 500 years ago it would not have, and the mundanes would not get it.

Just not Biggus Dickus, that was my time travelers weekend costume, I was asked my name, and my kin were there with me and said, you may have heard of me from the play History of the World, and a soft voice from the serving wench knew exactly who I was. :)

And as an aside. Yes the PA renfaire does accept the Bank of Rome. I asked. (for the D&Ders, yes I flashed a platinum. Surprisingly easily in modern society).