News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bare Bellies

Started by chriscat53, July 26, 2008, 10:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriscat53

Does anyone know if bellies are kosher this year? I'm trying to do gypsy/dancer accessories for my daughter (not me of course!!) And I heard that the Fair might be clamping down on bare skin because of the family orientation.               

Professor M

Heaven forbid!

I haven't heard that there's a problem, but of course they wouldn't be talking to ME about it, anyway.  But I know a dancer or two, and there doesn't seem to be any restriction. 

(aside) Sadira!  Stop lurking and post!
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Charity Morgan

well...unless "they" just don't practice what they preach... did you look at the photos I posted of our sister faire?!  lots of example dancers!  skin and all!
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

Mistress Charlotte

I don't think there is a lot of issue over the bellies as there is skirts hiked "up to there".  But what do I know.................
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Sadira

Look I finally got my account to work!!!!

ANYWAY,
I'll post what I told your daughter.

This year there is going to be a belly dancing stage show. I know that for us, bare bellies are fine. I can't comment on street cast, but there are lots of patterns out there for gypsies that cover the tummy if you are concerned. Look up Ghawazee Coats.

chriscat53

Thanks Sadira! We have the Folkways Turkish Dancer pattern and also the Al-Zahra's Ghawazee Coat Pattern. I think she has settled on the Al-Ghawazee. I suppose she is street cast/gypsy. That's what she did last year.