News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My sons first performance at faire

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, June 17, 2014, 09:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

This is my son's first performance at the Iowa Renaissance Faire over Memorial Day weekend.  He is 14 and has played stringed instruments for a little under 2 years.  He has traveled with us to faire and loves the music.  He asked a couple months before this faire about performing there and I set them up as a lane act, but were also then asked to take the stage when one of the music groups had left.  He is the one in the African grass hat, playing bouzouki, guitar and mandolin.  The other boys are brothers, 14 and 13 and the man is their dad and my son's guitar teacher.  they need some work on stage presence, but the music was good.

Just wanted to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IgQw2_mkME
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Cool!  I remember wondering (before they played) if those birds would quiet down during Waxing Gibbous' performance; so glad they did!  Such a pleasure to hear them play!  Thanks for the link.

Rowan MacD

I liked the song selection; it's suited their instruments and skills to a tee.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Norfolk

They are quite good.  Once they learn to loosen up and have fun with performing, they will be GREAT!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Norfolk on June 18, 2014, 09:37:22 AM
They are quite good.  Once they learn to loosen up and have fun with performing, they will be GREAT!

Working on that loosening up part.  they all 3 said it was the most fun, but you could not tell by their expression.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

I just got a chance to watch the show.  Your son has been playing less than two years? Tell him to stick with it. He's good!

Ah...loosening up. I'm one of those guys who is real serious when playing. I do most of my fooling around between songs. I've been chastised for it for years, but like they say, "Kay Sarah Sarah," or something to that effect.

Being on stage playing is a blast, but it can be really intimidating to a lot of people. Did you know that Barbra Streisand has a terrible time with stage fright??  The few times I've been solo, I've been a total mess emotionally. When I'm with a band, I'm a LOT more comfortable.  Hell, you've been with me Gauwyn—and you, too, Your Grace—and you both know how shy and reserved I am...

I was part of a folk/rock trio years ago. We called ourselves Folksimile (pronounced like facsimile). We are getting the band back together, and we're going to call ourselves Old Folksimile.

Get these kids out of their shyness, and they have a good shot at making something happen, if that's what they want.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 18, 2014, 12:16:35 PM
I just got a chance to watch the show.  Your son has been playing less than two years? Tell him to stick with it. He's good!

Ah...loosening up. I'm one of those guys who is real serious when playing. I do most of my fooling around between songs. I've been chastised for it for years, but like they say, "Kay Sarah Sarah," or something to that effect.

Being on stage playing is a blast, but it can be really intimidating to a lot of people. Did you know that Barbra Streisand has a terrible time with stage fright??  The few times I've been solo, I've been a total mess emotionally. When I'm with a band, I'm a LOT more comfortable.  Hell, you've been with me Gauwyn—and you, too, Your Grace—and you both know how shy and reserved I am...

I was part of a folk/rock trio years ago. We called ourselves Folksimile (pronounced like facsimile). We are getting the band back together, and we're going to call ourselves Old Folksimile.

Get these kids out of their shyness, and they have a good shot at making something happen, if that's what they want.

Funny thing about my son is he does not get stage fright - he is just serious when he plays.  He started on piano at 6 and all his performances he has a serious look.  I keep trying to get him to smile :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

That's what Nim keeps telling me. I tell her I am smiling!  Who can say differently with all this facial fur.

Rani Zemirah

Oh, how wonderful!  They are all really talented, and I'm sure they will start getting into the fun and frolic spirit of Faire performance once they've done it a bit more.  Maybe during a few future rehearsals they could all take a few minutes and discuss audience interaction and address... and each one make a couple of suggestions about the various ways to address the audience... and ways to draw them into the performance, so those watching feel they are more part of the performance?   It can definitely be really intimidating at first... especially if there is any shyness at all... but that will go away eventually, and it will become so much fun it shouldn't even be called work!  :)  heheh

My daughter plays the cello, and she enjoys performing... but she is also really shy, and has shaky nerves before every performance... even if it's only playing for our family.  I'm hoping I can get her to convince a couple of her friends to play at our small one weekend Faire next spring, since they allow drop in lane acts... and I would like to get them to sit out on the sidewalk downtown this summer and make a little extra money by busking!  They're pretty good, and not only would it help them earn a little extra cash, but it would give them extra practice time, as well. 

I'm going to show her this video today, and hopefully it will inspire her!  :)  Thanks for sharing... they're great! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Thanks for the feedback Rani, we do talk about this a lot at practice.  We are going to be playing at some local farmers markets and such and were also booked for a Pirate festival in August (working a a few more new song now).  the boys said this is the most fun they have had, so we are trying to get them to show it.  (My son started playing piano at 6 and all of his prior perfomances he is so serious.  He doesn't get nervous, just gets into the music so much his outward expression just goes away  :-\ )
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on June 19, 2014, 06:01:16 AM...My son ...  doesn't get nervous, just gets into the music so much his outward expression just goes away  :-\ )
That's like me. Being aware of it helps me to break down the wall... then I get into the music again, and forget to be aware.

RenStarr

Very cool!  Just watched the video, they really do sound pretty good.  As several have pointed out, they just need to work on their stage presence and audience interaction.  Pass along.....congrats!!
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

uncletimcobleigh

Mando geek question: is that an old Flatiron that your boy is playing?

Rani Zemirah

I'm sure that will all start to change the longer he is in front of an audience.  Especially audiences full of rowdy rennies!  heheh 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RefMom3

This was just grand! I hope they also had a lot of fun. My immediate thought was how this helps insure that there will continue to be young people enjoying this kind of music and environment for sharing.