News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

For profit faires

Started by johnlapoint, June 23, 2014, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlapoint

Hi, my name is John Lapoint. I'm trying to put on a for profit renaissance faire. I wanted to use volunteers, but  I was told that for profit businesses cannot use volunteers and must pay employees. How do other faires handle this? Thanks.
John Lapoint

Craigmeister

That might apply only in certain states because it doesn't sound quite right to me.  I think that any business can use volunteers.  I'm sure that you would have to track the ID's and personal info on volunteers at least for tax purposes.  Heaven knows what else the government might require now.

I imagine that a local tax accounting agency or bank could give you some guidance.  If not, they could refer you to an attorney who could.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

johnlapoint

Craigmeister

You're welcome, John.  My website has interviews with a handful of people who have started Renfests if you want to see a few different ideas on them.  Have a good one!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

johnlapoint

Thanks. Do you have a forum on your website that I could post to? Thanks again.
John

Craigmeister

Sorry but I don't have a forum on my website.  Do you wanna' post something on my Facebook page?  It's Meisters Realm.