News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any news on 2015 RenDezvous?

Started by Dragonlord, June 24, 2014, 11:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Anyone up for hosting the event? Seems the admin are busy with their own stuff, so if there is to be one, it would be up to us.  At this late date, I don't know that my bride and I could participate.

This forum has dwindled considerably.  How many die-hards are left?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Butch

Merlin the Elder

Anyone is welcome to rendezvous with me for an ale or two, but my home faire hosted just a few years ago.

Rowan MacD

I would say you could set up a page on the Book of Faces and move the topic there....
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Jade

That may be a smart plan. I've always wanted to go, but could not swing it. Now that I've got a teacher's salary instead of minimum wage....

Butch

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 20, 2015, 10:59:25 AM
Anyone is welcome to rendezvous with me for an ale or two...
Well, I'll just have to do that, then!

RefMom3

Looking very much forward to taking you up on that, Master Merlin!
Ok, probably not the ale part, but *something.*

Sir Ironhead

Past iterations has a meet and greet on Friday, then tailgate Saturday morning, another get together that night, tailgate Sunday morning then an "official" photo Sunday afternoon.  And a couple times there have been official activities at the faire as well.  Not saying this is bad at all, just maybe a bit overwhelming to someone who has not organized anything of this magnitude, and we haven't even mentioned setting up hotels, etc for the out of town folks.

Maybe we could try for an abbreviated version, we pick a weekend and throw it out for the "masses" to see and comment on.  I vote for Bristol on Labor Day weekend, mostly because it's a big enough faire that it would take most of those three days to see it all and for those that are "weather challenged" there is plenty of shade and with three days you don't have to rush anything.

My three cents  :D
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Merlin the Elder

Where is your homing beacon these days, Sir Ironhead? I think the last time we crossed paths, you were in west Texas...but, I could have been drunk...

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Sir Ironhead on March 22, 2015, 01:18:25 PM
Past iterations has a meet and greet on Friday, then tailgate Saturday morning, another get together that night, tailgate Sunday morning then an "official" photo Sunday afternoon.  And a couple times there have been official activities at the faire as well.  Not saying this is bad at all, just maybe a bit overwhelming to someone who has not organized anything of this magnitude, and we haven't even mentioned setting up hotels, etc for the out of town folks.

Maybe we could try for an abbreviated version, we pick a weekend and throw it out for the "masses" to see and comment on.  I vote for Bristol on Labor Day weekend, mostly because it's a big enough faire that it would take most of those three days to see it all and for those that are "weather challenged" there is plenty of shade and with three days you don't have to rush anything.

My three cents  :D

Unless there are others from Bristol - or folks from far away willing to do it - I have already mentioned that I am unable to set up and host a RenDezvous this year due to my health issues.  If someone wants to put it together, I am happy to give some suggestions but I will not be able to participate in making any arrangements.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

We could just invade Bristol...  I'm working on logistics of doing it this year.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 23, 2015, 05:47:30 PM
We could just invade Bristol...  I'm working on logistics of doing it this year.

MNRF invades every year on one weekend - maybe coordinate with this and have a 'flash' rendezvous
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

RefMom3

A "flash" rendezvous sounds fun; I've never been part of a flashing (of my own volition, anyway...a cousin perpetrated something once). I love having things to look forward to ;)

Sir Ironhead

Merlin, Gauwyn and RefMom3 -
You hit the nail on my head, or is it in my head.  An arranged "flash" RenDezvous, that's pretty much where I was going.

Lady Renee - I understand completely.  For whatever reason people are no longer able or willing to make all the arrangements and there is nothing wrong with that.  Reality, no matter your version of it, gets in the way sometimes.  I get it.  Frankly, I don't need a big "production" for RenDezvous.  It's nice but not a requirement for me.  I am satisfied with a few group photos and for the people who haven't been to a particular faire, advice.  Stuff like how soon should I get there, what's the traffic/weather/terrain like.

Last RenDezvous I remember going to was in Colorado in 2011.  I would swear that Minnesota has hosted one.

Merlin - Moved back to Iowa in 2013 after I retired.  Plan on being at Scarborough Memorial Day weekend.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Merlin the Elder

RenDezvous is where the friends are... I met enough of the folks here that I could go to probably any faire and know someone, even if it was only a cyber-friend.   

Colorado was our first RenDezvous (I stumbled onto this site a week... A WEEK... after my home faire hosted a RenDezvous).  We did North Carolina and Kansas City gatherings as well.

Hope retirement is suiting you, Ironhead!  Don't know if I can handle another Scarby Memorial Day... did a couple that nearly killed me from the heat! 103° is more than I can handle safely.  We'll be there for opening weekend, and a trip to Castleton (OKRF) in May, if things don't fall apart.  If we can pull off the Bristol trip, it will be our first time doing 5 different faires in a year.