News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any news on 2015 RenDezvous?

Started by Dragonlord, June 24, 2014, 11:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

I'm interested in a flash RenDezVous!  If we can settle on a date, we may even be able to (electronically) scout the area and set up a meet and greet(?)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Like I said, having attended Bristol for 19 years this summer, I will be happy to give any suggestions or help that the organizer may want or need.  And for sure, we will try to make that weekend, or at least the Sunday.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Butch

So 5, 6, and 7 Sep at Bristol?  Are we considering an invasion those days?  That looks to be their closing weekend.  Who's all interested?

RefMom3

I'm interested! I go closing weekend, anyway. This sounds like a marvelous idea.

Merlin the Elder

We are interested...just have to work out the logistics ... feasibility study, don't you know?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RefMom3

meetings; Skype chats; conference calls...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

action items - we need action items :(

and synergy

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

OK.  I have never been there, so I don't know the lay of the land.  Looking at Google Maps, the two closest cities are Pleasant Prairie, WI and Russell, IL.  I believe the most time sensitive thing we'll have is getting a block of rooms at a lower priced (but not ghetto) hotel.  A nice bonus is having some sort of conference area for a Friday night meet-n-greet.  Who can make some recommendations?  We need to hop on this now.

The rest we have time to plan.  Again, more of an Invasion than a formal RenDezVous; but we have enough time to make this a success.

Recommendations on a place for the main group to stay?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Kenosha, which is a just a few minutes (maybe 15 or so) away has many hotels
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

RefMom3

I agree, sir; Kenosha is very close, and is probably an easier choice. On the Illinois side, Waukegan is also close, and likely to have more hotels. Illinois Beach State Park is in Zion, IL, and I believe they have camping facilities. (I used to live up there, about 25 years ago. My ex-husband was in the Navy, stationed at Great Lakes.)

Butch

On a quick KAYAK search, I found a Super 8 Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie for $87 per night, and a La Quinta (next door) for $95 per night.  It looks like they have some stuff around Racine for about $70 per night.

Butch

Do those sound in the price range?  I can get on the hooks to them tomorrow to see if they'll work a deal with us.  Maybe we can get a meeting room comped on Fri night.  I can also ask if they can do some gate tickets to the ren fest.  We got that stuff for the KCRF in 2013. 

Unless someone else wants to take this? 

Merlin the Elder

Organizing is such a pain in the back of the front. As I said earlier, I don't even know if I can pull it off (coming, that is), but if we decide on a weekend, I will try very hard!  We could just make it a free for all...everyone worries about his/her own bad self. We only have a few of Bristol home folks around here, one is in the middle of a move, another has physical limitations, and the other is fresh to the scene (of the three I know). 
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

I would not recommend Racine.  Some parts can be iffy.  Of you are willing to go between 20-30 Mn. From faire, Mundelein and Libertyville have some nice Super 8s and Days Inns for around $50-60.

Most hotels do not give free or discounted faire tickets. The Raddison includes tickets in their room rates and also provides a bus.  The Brat Stop on Rt. 50 is a bar/restaurant that will let a group use a private room as long as there is drinking and eating going on.

Bristol does NOT allow tailgating at all.  And they are quite good about taking things away if they catch you with anything. I would suggest to not even try.

More stuff as I remember it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Butch

I just wrote to the marketing director at Bristol (I dealt with the marketing director for the KCRF).  I gave them a heads-up that we are looking at a gathering during Labor Day weekend.  Let's see how they respond, and if they offer us anything.