News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tudor Garb in the German style...

Started by Rowan MacD, June 23, 2014, 06:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Ok, David wants me to make garb in the German style.
Anybody know what would have been worn in the Tudor Court? I cannot seem to find anything in a distinctive German fashion.   I have already explained to him that most of Europe was dressing very alike. 
  Not Henrican.  Elizabethan....
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

So anything from 1558 to 1603?

Although this is Dutch, the Dutch, Germans, and English were wearing very similar garments in the later half of the 16th Century.  This is probably due to the increase trade and the start of globalization -> every one trying to colonize and take take over as the world powerhouse.   Given that they were all seeing each other in every port, the clothing sort of blended to create the pumpkin pants and doublet look common in the late 16th century. 

Rowan MacD

Thanks,
  That is exactly what I'm trying to convey to him.   He keeps harking back to Anne of Cleves-et al.. I have told him a few times that it's 1500-1550.-definitely not Elizabethan.
   Besides the fact that I don't care for that style;no one beside a History buff would recognize it anyway, and that only to point out that it's 50 years out of date.
   I try to fit in with the period of the faire.  I wouldn't wear a 12th century bliaut or a sideless surcoat to an Elizabethan faire either.   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt