News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A couple hat construction questions

Started by gem, July 14, 2014, 12:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

That's it.  I like the way the ruff is loose enough around her throat that she can wear a necklace, and I count at least three shoulder rolls!

A hat and an Atifet seems a bit much, not to mention the logistics of getting the whole concoction to stay on your head.

note: I (sort of) finished my LM Atifet this weekend.
   I used scraps of the sage velvet  for the outside,  gold shantung for the inside,and the whole was trimmed with lace.   I need to play with the gathers in the back a bit, but I think it turned out decently; but I now want a much more light weight version...Lace? linen? organza?
    Any suggestions for materials?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

bookwench

I've made the LM attifet - it was a pain, but overall successful.  I'm not sure how you would wear a hat on top of it, as it was a full buckram construction and therefore stiff.  I looked around for photos, but since I made it for someone else I don't have any.  :(
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

bookwench

Whoops, completely missed the part where you said you'd already finished your attifet!  I'm curious - what did you think of the pattern? 
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

Rowan MacD

It was pretty easy to make; and it certainly achieves the look from the front, but I really would have liked pictures of how the back is finished, instead of a vague instruction to 'gather the back over the wire',  but at least that can be covered with a small veil pinned to the back of the hat.
   The result resembles (to me) a cross between an 18th century bonnet and a snood; and installing a comb to hold it in place will definitely be necessary, since the basic substructure is sort of like a forward leaning french hood (which it is a variation of) and it will catch the wind.
   I used velvet and shantung scraps for the cover, and I used a thin felt instead of batting and glued it down to the buckram , which worked well; but I can see already that it's going to be too hot to wear, and it looks heavy-so I chalk that up to a practice.
   I am looking for a light weight white fabric to construct the next one from. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt