News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Faire Proposal Stories

Started by Bogie, July 16, 2014, 08:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogie

Good people of Renaissancefestival.com, I'm doing a call out to gather some information about renaissance faire proposals.  I've recently started a renaissance blog, and my next post will be about my proposal to my Wife at BARF in 2006.  My wife suggested that it might be fun for the next segment to be about stories of others.   What a better place to get other peoples stories than right here!

This also sparks from watching 2 proposals at CoRF the weekend we were there this year.

So, do you know of other proposals at faires?  If so, how many have you witnessed/experienced?
If your proposal was at a faire, what's your story? How long have you been married? Do you still go to faires? How, if any, have you incorporated renaissance faires into your life?  Do you have a picture or two to share with the rest of us?

Also, if you're okay with me sharing your story, let me know.  I'd like to pick a few stories and put it in my blog as well!

Thank you all for the information!

BubbleWright

Check out this 2011 Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire thread "A Special Proposal at Faire"....

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php/topic,16087.0.html
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Tink

My (now) husband and I met at faire (TRF) and he proposed to me there one year later.  :)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

theChuck

The Renlist - find faires near you!

Tink

Orphena

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php/topic,2066.msg30909.html#msg30909

I am pleased to say that m'lord was very romantic in planning our engagement. Before we met, he had never been to a festival. My online dating profile featured a few pictures of me in costume, having fun, and he thought that looked sufficiently creative to begin a conversation. When I proposed attending his first festival, I insisted on a costume. He insisted on not being too warm, and so I crafted him a kilt and a sleeveless shirt. I introduced him around, brought him to shows, and he was hooked. It did not take him long to embrace festivals, and now he is happy to sacrifice comfort for authencity!

3 years of courting led to friendships in the festival circles, and m'lord managed to surprise me by planning a very romantic engagement. We were volunteering at a mini faire held at Casa Loma  - a Toronto tourist attraction, and so dressed in formal nobility. He had told me that he wanted us to get a picute taken of us, and a faire couple friend of ours were going to take the picture. We went to the designated spot, and he pulled from his pouch a scroll, from which he read a lovely engagement proposal. Pictures were being taken, music was being played as ambiance, and another friend was ensuring we wouldn't be disturbed.

In short, I said yes, and we were married May 2009. We honeymooned at St. Louis faire, where the cast heard that we were on our honeymoon. We were then treated as visiting nobility, sat with the royals to watch the joust, and congratulated by half the merchants.

We still attend faires - often as cast, and still take vacation time every year to attend a festival together, just for fun.

Pictures are attached to the original announcement I made here in the forums, and I'm pleased to share the story, so if it is suitable, please go ahead!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Hausfrau Monica

Dear Bogie..... you know our story well by now....although not an actual proposal at faire, you know how our relationship is interwoven with the faire world and this site.  I have no objection to you using our story if you see fit.

Orphena:  a proposal at Casa Loma.....what a wonderful place to have such a wonderful occassion.  So sad that the city of Toronto won't let it be used for faire any longer

Bogie

Excellent everyone, thank you for the links and stories!  Spread the word and keep them coming!

Tink

Orphena- Such a wonderful story!  I love that y'all were able to get pictures of the whole thing!

Merlin the Elder

I didn't propose at a Ren faire. When I proposed to Nimue, the Pleasure Faire had just started. RFs across the country did not exist... However, to mark our 40th anniversary, we renewed our vows and did a handfasting at Scarby. What a party THAT was!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bogie

Orphena, I hope it's okay that I shared your post on the blog. 

I don't want it to look like I'm pushing/advertising the blog, but I do want to share it just in case. 

http://idahorennies.blogspot.com/

Tink

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know whenever you update your blog!  And OMG, you and your lady are too stinkin' cute in those photos!

Bogie

For now I've been having new posts come up every Friday morning. I've gotten a little off topic with the one that comes out tomorrow.  But I get back on track next week.

groomporter

Our foster daughter's husband asked a band at MNRF (The Dregs) to learn her favorite song (Moon Dance) so he could propose and it got caught on video. Placed a pretty high bar for any of the other guys who work for us http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Groomporter/media/Misc/594422247882_14207.mp4.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?