News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need Your Ren Photos for About.com

Started by Alluna, July 26, 2008, 03:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alluna

Hey gang!

I just posted my intro, other than that I'm pretty new around here. My name is Rain, and I am working for the first time at The Ohio Renaissance Festival this year. I'll also be blogging about it at The New York Times About.com website, http://diyfashion.about.com.

At the diyfashion.about.com site, I have put together a special section about ren faires, because so many of the goods there are handmade. Right now I have a gallery of some stock photography featuring ren costumes, but I am in need of more. I'd love to have photos from actual people who attend fests. Yes, rennies, that's you.

My site gets about 10,000 hits a day. If you wouldn't mind showing thousands of people yourself in your Ren costume, drop me a line at diyfashion.guide AT about.com, or respond here to this post.

Here is the gallery: http://diyfashion.about.com/od/renaissancefestivals/ig/Renaissance-and-Medieval-Dress/index.htm

You can see that each photo has it's own gallery page. On this page, I can link or give kudos at least to whoever made it, or include a link to your favorite ren fest. I'd love comments on parts of garb that you made yourself.

By doing this, I'd really like to help out the artisans who handmade your garb by sending business their way. At the least, I can show off what you've made yourselves to encourage other people to do the same instead of buying factory-made. Cast members and performers are also welcome to post and have a link to whatever portfolio or booking page you might have.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Make it Yourself
Have a ren photo? I'll post it on my website.

Alluna

Thanks to everyone who has sent me a PM for photos!!

I am going to try to compile a gallery for each ren festival across the country, which easily translates to hundreds of galleries, so more photos are always welcome.

Thanks again for the greetings from everyone here on the forums. You're an awfully nice bunch, wenches an' all!

-Rain
Make it Yourself

photomike

Greetings Rain,
                   Feel free to brouse & use any photos you like from my photobucket sight. I only have pix from the Sterling Renaissance Festival in Sterling NY
Here is a link to the sight
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/wildroverphotos/
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

majikboxman

Playing devils advocate here.

**Need Your Ren Photos For The New York Times**

**My site gets about 10,000 hits a day. If you wouldn't mind showing thousands of people...**

I think those statements are pretty misleading. 

... When you say 'for the NY Times', you make it seam like it's going into the paper itself.  Even though the About website is part of the NY Times Corp, it really has nothing to do with the paper and it's every day circulation publication. 

... A hit is only generated when your page is listed in a search engine result and does not account for an actual page view.  How many actual page views per day do you have ?  There is a big difference.  By the math and what you wrote, your saying you get 3,650,000 visits per year 'I don't think so'.  Any person operating a site with that amount of traffic should not need another job as they'd have sponsors throwing a great deal of ad money their way.  In reality, a hit itself is only good for knowing statistics of trying to drive traffic to the page.  In looking at the page url you left, it contains the word about.  I think it would be pretty safe to say that most of your hits are coming from people either searching for a definition for the word about, or people searching for the home page of about dot com, or searching the 100's of others that are guides on that site.  That's above and beyond crawlers searching your pages and listing them for every word that is in the page text itself.

**The basis of Guide compensation is year-over-year page view growth. As of 1/1/07, if your page views grow you will never make less than $725 per month and it's likely you'll make much more than that over time (in some cases we have Guides who earn in excess of $100,000 per year).**

The above is from the Guide compensation page @ http://beaguide.about.com/compensation.htm

What is the compensation rate you offer for stock photos ?

Be careful folks.... you'll be giving up your rights if your pics are posted there.  Seeing the page master 'guide member' is paid for their services, once it's posted, all material becomes the property of the site owner 'not the page master guide member, but the site owner'.

Knowing the page master is paid from the amount of hits on the page does kind of flag me for this being a spam topic post.  The more places and user boards that link is posted on, the more opps for visits and money.  Don't get me wrong.... go make that money, but in the process..... inform people with correct facts.

Really.... a person would have just as much 'if not more' traffic right here from r/f . com over that site as per the this site itself and the massive content found here about garb.   
This Space For Rent

Alluna

Wow,

I really don't know what to say about this attack. Do I attack your job and livelihood? I'm not sure why you are in such a gripe, perhaps you have a website that isn't getting as many page views as you like, but the statistics I gave for my site are accurate.

Advertisers DO clamor to be featured on the site. Did you not notice all the advertisements? The revenue from these advertisements go to About.com, not myself. You kindly posted the stipulations of my salary. How about I go look up yours? I found something that I love to write about and I am now able to make a living off of it. Who are you to put me down for this?

ALL of the photos posted on my site, as contributed by the photographers, retain ALL rights. About.com does NOT own the rights to any of these photos, nor do I. Perhaps you should do a little more research before you make a slanderous claim such as this.

Also, my checks come from the New York Times. That's who I work for. Not too sure why this makes you so angry. It is NOT misleading to say I work for the New York Times, because I do. My About.com website is clearly available for review to those who want to decide whether or not to contribute. I would not question their intelligence in this matter as you have.

I have happened to put together a few very NICE galleries of the photos contributed to my site, which also send page views to the people who contributed the photos.

-Kathy Castrovinci:
Dubuque Renaissance Faire Costume Gallery

-Nelson Chen:
Colorado Renaissance Festival Costumes

I am not sure why you are making wild claims as to the validity of my work, when it is all laid out for everyone to see. If someone would like to have their work featured on the site, I am more than willing to showcase them. It is a good thing to be offered this kind of exposure...I can't even understand the negative aspect of it that you are trying to portray.

Nearly everyone here offers a link to his/her website...those who sell goods or not. If I want to help people in their endeavors, who are you to prevent any of us from being successful? If I can use the large exposure of my website to help out independent businesses, why would I hesitate to do just that?

I have been a seamstress for many years, and I know what it is like to own not only a business, but to run a 501c3 non-profit organization. I know that every bit of marketing helps, and I am more than willing to offer the exposure on my site to anyone who wants to be a part of it. To suggest anything else about my profession is an insult. I will help independent artists as I deem appropriate.

I'll thank you to understand the copyright regulations of About.com before you attempt this kind of misguided statement.

Rain
Your Guide to DIY Fashion
http://diyfashion.about.com
Make it Yourself

majikboxman

***I really don't know what to say about this attack. Do I attack your job and livelihood? I'm not sure why you are in such a gripe, perhaps you have a website that isn't getting as many page views as you like, but the statistics I gave for my site are accurate. ***

Actually it wasn't an attack.  The 'such a gripe' was not about the site in general, but about the way it was presented it as being the New York Times and other info that did not seam correct.  Like mentioned, even though the Times might be the parent company, About.com is not the Times itself.  Think of it this way if you will...  someone tells you that ABC is going to promo a project of yours across the country.  Your all giddy thinking it'll be a national campaign with national coverage.  Then the spot runs and it's only on a channel services 400 local people on a local ABC affiliate located in a rural community on the other side of the country.  The network fulfilled it's promise by showing it across 'the other side' of the country but yet you are left with major disappointments as it went to only 400 instead of 4 million.

"Each Guide has a page view rate which is paid per 1000 page views." <--- copy pasted from the About.com site user agreement.  If you will notice, they talk about VIEWS not HITS.  I'm not saying your stats on HITS count is off, but a HIT does not reflect VIEW.  There is a big difference.

***Advertisers DO clamor to be featured on the site. Did you not notice all the advertisements? The revenue from these advertisements go to About.com, not myself.***

You are correct... You should point out that it's the entire SITE and not just your PAGE.

***You kindly posted the stipulations of my salary. How about I go look up yours? I found something that I love to write about and I am now able to make a living off of it. Who are you to put me down for this?***

You shouldn't get upset with me about this as it's public knowledge posted by the web site owner.  Be upset with yourself for not reading up on your employers day to day operations.  The link was provided 'and still is above'.  If there would be a concern with that information being public it should be brought up with your employer as they are the one's making that info public.  My source from the parent company was linked with my posting.   Perhaps you should do a little more research.

***ALL of the photos posted on my site, as contributed by the photographers, retain ALL rights. About.com does NOT own the rights to any of these photos, nor do I. Perhaps you should do a little more research before you make a slanderous claim such as this.***

It's not a slanderous comment, it's a fact of life.  Your comments about the photographer retaining all rights is highly incorrect as can be shown by their public statement in the user agreement that is linked below.

http://www.about.com/gi/pages/uagree.htm

On the link above,  Item 2 states...

............The materials used and displayed on the Service and the Sites, including but not limited to text, software, photographs, graphics, illustrations and artwork, video, music and sound, and names, logos, trademarks and service marks, are the property of About.com or its affiliates or licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such content may be displayed solely for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of About.com or the appropriate affiliate................

Perhaps you should do a little more research.

***Also, my checks come from the New York Times. That's who I work for. Not too sure why this makes you so angry. It is NOT misleading to say I work for the New York Times, because I do. My About.com website is clearly available for review to those who want to decide whether or not to contribute. I would not question their intelligence in this matter as you have.***

A.  I'm not angry about you or your project.  Just offering a heads up to the reader.  Please don't call me angry when I am not.

B.  It's misleading to say it's for the NY Times when it has nothing to do with going into the daily paper publication.

C.  I do not question the intelligence of the page viewer.  I offered heads up information to persons that might normally not have an idea about how it works.  There are 100's of 1000's of web surfers everyday that either A.... don't read the fine print. Or B... Just don't understand how it works.  Clearly when someone states 'ALL of the photos posted on my site, as contributed by the photographers, retain ALL rights. About.com does NOT own the rights to any of these photos, nor do I.' then a public statement from the parent company 'the site owner' concerning the copyright is saying something completely different, a heads up should be given.

***I am not sure why you are making wild claims as to the validity of my work, when it is all laid out for everyone to see. If someone would like to have their work featured on the site, I am more than willing to showcase them. It is a good thing to be offered this kind of exposure...I can't even understand the negative aspect of it that you are trying to portray.***

In reading above, I don't see where I questioned the validity of your work.  The points were brought up as per the misinformation that you had written.  Sorry if my 'Devils Advocate' made you feel it was an attack on your work, but it wasn't.  When I see things like that, I take the effort to make sure people are properly informed. 

Why ?... ?... ?... As an example, someone sends you a photo.  They put that photo up on a website where they sell home made earrings as they were wearing a pair in the photo.  Someone from the NY Times comes across the photo and notices it is their copyright and the website is commercial.   The earring maker will face legal issue because of it.

A step further....  Seamstress makes a bodice, takes a pic of it.  It's the only pic Seamstress has.  Seamstress sends it to you.  Week later Seamstress makes a website and posts the pic as a example of work.  You in-turn post the link to the independent.  About.com reviews the link and sees the Seamstress is violating copyrights.  You have not only misinformed the Seamstress, but you have also provided a direct link to the infraction.  Perhaps you should do a little more research.

**Nearly everyone here offers a link to his/her website...those who sell goods or not. If I want to help people in their endeavors, who are you to prevent any of us from being successful? If I can use the large exposure of my website to help out independent businesses, why would I hesitate to do just that?**

I didn't try to prevent anyone from doing anything concerning your About.com space.  I didn't prevent you from becoming successful.  Please don't add drama that is not there.  I only made sure the people knew exactly what the terms were and exactly what is involved.  By all means, network and expose yourself in the way you see fit, but do it will truthful information.

**To suggest anything else about my profession is an insult.**
No one insulted your profession.  I've only stated info that was written by both you and publicly listed on About.com.

**'ll thank you to understand the copyright regulations of About.com before you attempt this kind of misguided statement.**

Sorry, but you need to understand them first before posting a rant calling me misinformed, slanderous and comment that I insulted you.  I have done none of those things.  I've only offered a heads up to the real facts that apply.

In my opinion..... Perhaps you should do a little more research before ranting.
This Space For Rent

renfairephotog

I don't like the direction this thread is headed. Please be civil to each other.

/moderator
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

WindChime

Where do you work at the Ohio show?  I work at the Taking Wings booth. Located at the entrance of the Dungon of Doom. You can always here me before you see me.  20lb belt with bells and 6 tails.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

majikboxman

Form User

Funny......... I thought same thing after reading her 2nd highly misinformed post she made on 8/28. 
So what's the standard here ?  It's ok to misinform but god forbid correcting someone with linked sources.

Selective Moderation Process ?

/Form User
This Space For Rent

renfairephotog

I was referring to the posts of  8/28 and 9/2.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Alluna

This is rediculous.

This is my job and I know what it entails. Any photographs I use on my site are wholly the property of those who have contributed them. YOUR research is at fault here, NOT mine. I should know. I work for them.

This quote:

"............The materials used and displayed on the Service and the Sites, including but not limited to text, software, photographs, graphics, illustrations and artwork, video, music and sound, and names, logos, trademarks and service marks, are the property of About.com or its affiliates or licensors and are protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such content may be displayed solely for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to modify, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material without the written permission of About.com or the appropriate affiliate................"

Pertains to the photographs, copy and images created by About.com for About.com i.e. the About.com LOGO. In all actuality, all of the guides retain rights to their own photos and writing. When a guide leaves the About.com network, everything on their channel is dissolved and leaves with them. Certainly the photos and writing contributed by people OUTSIDE of the About.com network retain the rights to their work as well.

I KNOW MY JOB.

Please stop accusing me of things are are simply not true. You are accusing. You are accusing me of trying to STEAL people's photographs and pull the wool over their eyes.  Why are you making me out to be a thief and a liar?? Why are you working so hard to do this?

majikboxman , If you are SO interested in what I do and who I work for, contact About.com yourself and put in an inquiry. I can have my editor email you to set you straight if you like. I won't have you smearing me all over this message board because you've got a bug up your butt.

If it helps you to sort this out in your head, we also use photos from Getty Images. Lord knows we don't own the rights to every Getty image used on our site.

Another misinformed statement:

"A step further....  Seamstress makes a bodice, takes a pic of it.  It's the only pic Seamstress has.  Seamstress sends it to you.  Week later Seamstress makes a website and posts the pic as a example of work.  You in-turn post the link to the independent.  About.com reviews the link and sees the Seamstress is violating copyrights.  You have not only misinformed the Seamstress, but you have also provided a direct link to the infraction.  Perhaps you should do a little more research."

THIS IS AN INCORRECT STATEMENT.
Neither I or About.com retain the rights to ANY PHOTO contributed to my site by other people. We do not OWN any of the photos on the website that have an attribution under them. That is WHY you will notice we are REQUIRED to attribute who the OWNER is. Every photo on my site that is not mine has to BY LAW be attributed to the OWNER. Because it isn't me or About.com.

Little words for you: See the little names under each photo? Yeah, that's who OWNS the photo.

As in this example: http://diyfashion.about.com/od/renaissanceeventsbystate/tp/Colorado_Renaissance_Festivals.htm

In fact if I DON'T attribute the photo to the owner, I get in hot water with my editor. It is THE LAW. Perhaps you should research the definition of research before you go spouting off, buddy.

These are our guidelines given to us:

"Before you attribute the image, make sure you have permission to use it. To give proper attribution, fill in one of the following in the "Image Owner" box. If the "Image Owner" field doesn't appear in a particular template, please make sure to include the attribution in the caption field.  Remember: Attribution is not the same thing as permission!  Putting a line of attribution near the photo does not excuse you from having to get express written permission to use it from the copyright holder."

Do you get it yet?? I DON'T OWN THE PHOTOS. ABOUT.COM DOESN'T OWN THE PHOTOS.

I'll thank you to not call me a liar and a thief. I'm sure your know your job, and would not question you on that. You should refrain from doing the same.

-Rain
Make it Yourself

majikboxman

Ridiculous is correct 'but you spelt it incorrectly'.  I actually find it very amazing how you can now copy / past the terms concerning the copyright, then in the next sentence say something completely different about copyrights.   :o  The links to the terms are listed above and following are for your own viewing pleasure.  It's that simple on what you agree to and who holds the copyrights.

www.about.com/gi/pages/uagree.htm

I won't waste anymore time with the thread anymore out of respect for the admin's.
This Space For Rent

DeadBishop

I'm closing this thread as it does not serve a purpose here on R/F.com.

R/F.com member since 2003