News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Suggestions?

Started by BrotherThomas, July 26, 2008, 03:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrotherThomas

Hello all!

So, I have an established persona, but wanted something new for at least one weekend at Faire.

I have a Franciscan Friar's habit and would like to use it once (My main costume, this year, is my Cardinal's vestments.)

So here is my request: I want something exciting--not just Thomas got his call from God and became a Friar. Something exciting and fun and dangerous, but with a sincere calling (as in, ONLY joined the monastery because he got a princess preggers or something like that.)

Nothing (I don't think) is too outlandish...suggest away!

Deus Caritas Est,

Brother Thomas

renren

Hmm... could try the "lost love" angle.
The love of your life got killed,stolen from you, left you, cheated on on,causing you to renounce love and pleasures of the flesh..?
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

McGuinness

Frances Walsingham doing some spying in cognito? Who says the one in the habit actually has to be a monk, right?  ;)

VIII

Depending on the era, read "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco.  Lots of background on the continental affairs of the clergy during the early 1300's, if I remember correctly.  It is a good place from which to start.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

ADraeger

Maybe you're trying to avoid a horrendous arranged marriage to an extremely ugly and/or crazy woman.  (You can, perhaps, find someone to dress up as an extremely ugly and/or crazy woman that follows you around, lovestruck) :)

Hawkwind

You're  not in the least bit religious nor feel a "calling" to the clergy. You are a power hungry man and know that the church is the true ruler of the land. Because of your lack of morals and willingness to do what ever it takes, you've managed to bribe, blackmail, or murder your way to a position of power within the church.

Sometimes it's fun to play the villain.
Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free. -Anne Sullivan Macy
~Hawkwind~

DuCoeur

Perhaps you are Ludovica Da Bologna, The Patriarch of  Antioch, trying to rally the west to crusade against the turk.

Or, you could be the friear to a band of mercenaries...carry a sword, Be a metalurgist casting cannon....

Friars and priests played many roles and as previously mentioned, held alot of power....

Good luck
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

VIII

"Nuns on the Run"
You can say you are not REALLY clergy, but a Pirate/Thief/Rogue who stole the vestments.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy