News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Toddler girl garb/patterns?

Started by gem, July 26, 2014, 04:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I have twin nieces who are about 19 months old. Their fair season is September-ish. I would love to make them something that would last them a couple of seasons, and not be too hot/complicated. (Historical accuracy not required!) I've just received a donation/gift/castoff of about 4 yards of rosy red cotton gauze that washed up nicely, plus I have a stash of pretty much everything else I'd need. I've never sewn for them before (Mom keeps asking!  ;D), but I know we have folks who sew for wee girls on the boards, so have at me with ideas, all!

Gramercy!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I would use simple Toddler dress patterns from the Big3, gem. Just make adjustments, add trim. Then you have garb for a toddler.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyFae

My girls usually go as Faeries, but they also have simple "Princess" gowns that I made to let down and out over the years, as well as pirate garb and peasant garb (lots of the same pieces.) I guess it all really depends on what you want them to dress as. A simple chemise and tie-waist skirt can take them pretty far! :)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Crimson

Make them pretty cloaks to wear.  That will last for a few years.  Girls love to dance around and watch a cloak spin.  You can add some bling to the hood of a cloak as well.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

LadyStitch

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on July 26, 2014, 11:37:44 PM
I would use simple Toddler dress patterns from the Big3, gem. Just make adjustments, add trim. Then you have garb for a toddler.

Gem that is exactly what I do for Fuzzlet.  I buy a generic dress pattern in her size and use it as a block to make the dress.  Just remember to go by their weight not their age when it comes to sizing.  What the big 3 say is a size 18-24 months can actually fit a child up to 32 pounds, which could be 3 years old.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

LadyFae

Quote from: Crimson on July 28, 2014, 08:35:41 AM
Make them pretty cloaks to wear.  That will last for a few years.  Girls love to dance around and watch a cloak spin.  You can add some bling to the hood of a cloak as well.

My girls LOVE their cloaks (well, short capes, really.) It tends to be too of to wear them usually, but they have gotten some use.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rani Zemirah

I agree with the cloak idea, especially with the lightweight gauze, since it will "float" well, and not really require a lining.  And what little girl wouldn't adore a little red hooded cloak?  :) 

As for dresses, the simpler the better, at that age!  At least, it always was for my daughter, until she got a bit older and started wanting to choose her own outfits.  Simplicity 1557, the Merida style dress from Disney's Brave, is a popular choice with the little ones, and looks fairly simple.  I don't see it in toddler sizes, though... but you could probably improvise something fairly easily, with your skills.  When my ScallyWag was that age I frequently made her t-tunics, and relied on trim to turn them into something more special. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyStitch

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on August 01, 2014, 03:33:29 AM
Simplicity 1557, the Merida style dress from Disney's Brave, is a popular choice with the little ones, and looks fairly simple. 

I was hired to make one of Merida costumes for a niece.  The smallest size it comes in is a toddler 3.  That pattern is big enough that Fuzzlet who is turning 3 in a month ( has it been that long)  is runs big on her.  There are toddler size disney patterns, and they are ok, but they are just graded down version of the adult patterns.  I made the Simplicity OOP S2563 cinderella pattern size 1 for fuzzlet when she was 18 months. She could still wear it when she was 2.5! The shoulders were really wide but the waist is darted in.  Didn't fit a toddler's form at all. 

I made fuzzlet's fabric fairy outfits out of M5791. It is an Empire waist dress.  And I used a OOP M6268  bodice. I mostly use OOP B4054 as my basic pattern block when I had to make her a special dress. B3762 is the closest you may be able to get in current patterns.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

gem

I think I've found a great option! The Sally Dress pattern from indie designer Very Shannon. (It came up on a "quick dress pattern for little girls" thread on Pattern Review.) It comes in sizes from 2T to 8 and has a very basic, period-friendly silhouette:

All the photos I'm finding are huge;  hopefully this won't break the Internet:

Square neckline, slightly raised waistline, simple simple simple (no closures). It would be easy to lengthen the skirt, add lacing up the sides... It was actually this photo of it done in a damask-type print that sold me!

gypsylakat

LOVE IT- I decided I'm making a dress for my friend's little girl he started like tearing up in a shop when he saw kids garb-
his daughter will be under 1 year when their fair season rolls around again so I'm going to make something that she can wear for 2 seasons hopefully LOVE that pattern. I'm seeing it with some guards to it that can be lengthened as she gets bigger... SO CUTE
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

gem

Ok, so. Any suggestions for a chemise? I know I could just add faux chemise sleeves to the dress... but since I don't have the girls handy to test things on, or any sense of size/scale for such tiny clothes, I would really appreciate the guidance of a pattern, at least for sizing! (I've picked out suitable fabrics from my stash: "scraps" from two of my own gowns--antique violet and butter yellow cotton damasks--and some beautiful embroidered gauze for the chemises.)

...Also any gauge on lengthening the skirts? I don't mean later, when the girls have grown. I mean the skirts, as shown on the pattern, are too short for garb. I'm guessing on a wee one, a little extra length goes a LONG way! Maybe just add a couple inches?

isabelladangelo

For sleeve length, I'd add 3" to each of the following:

I found the sizes on a website that sells arm covers (sort of like armwarmers but for sun protection).   It jives well with what I've done for my nephews in the past.   

For a chemise, cut two rectangles that are a couple of inches bigger than the bust measurement of the pattern.  They should probably only be as long as the bodice and the skirt are together on the regular pattern.  Cut another two rectangles, the width should be 80% of the length as these will be the sleeves.  So for sleeves that are 12", the width should be about 10", at least.  Add the underarm gores - which will be small.  3" square should be fine. 

Sew up the chemise as you would with an adult chemise but add elastic to the inside at the wrist and neckline.  I sew the elastic to the wrist first (after rolling the wrist edge for a hem).   I then sew the underarm gore to the sleeve followed by sewing up the main seam of the sleeve.  That finishes the sleeves.  I then sew up the body - each edge sewn together until about 3/4 of the way up and a rolled hem.  I attach the sleeves so that half of it is above the body neckline.  Roll the remaining unrolled edges.  Add elastic around the neckline that will include the upper part of the sleeves as well as the body front and back. 

October 151 par Isabella, on ipernity

My nephew originally had his Turkish coat on over the chemise but he spilled lemonade all over it.  :-)