News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

After Faire Camp Wear...

Started by Orphena, July 28, 2014, 08:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Greetings!

M'lord and I usually stay in hotels when we attend festivals, but in the last year or so, we've started camping to keep costs down. We attend a variety of festivals in moderate driving distance from Ontario. While there are times when I like a little privacy, there are also times when sitting around a fire with like minded individuals and building memories seems very appealing.

My question is this - if staying in a public campground, where you suspect other rennies may also be staying - is there some "common" thing to do in order to recognize rennies? Do you just intersperse "Huzzah" as often as possible as sort of an obvious hint? Do you wear pieces of your garb well into the evening? Is there a code word or secret handshake? :P

Second question - If meeting rennies for a campfire - do you dress in camping clothes, or do you have some sort of rennie-ish outfit you wear?

Thanks in advance from a planning freak.

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Crimson

I can't reply to the question about camping in public campgrounds.  The faires that I go to have campgrounds connected.

I will sometimes wear mundane, street clothes in the evening and other times I'll just wear comfortable garb.  It depends on my mood and the weather.  On a cold night it is nice to wrap up in my heavy cloak but on really warm evenings street clothes are more comfortable.
Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice

isabelladangelo

Same here:  all the campgrounds I go to for the Renn Faire are at the Renn Faire.  I do have "morning" and "evening" wear for those - My green fleece spanish surcote is a wonderful robe when running to the privy in the morning.  :-)  However, at a regular campground, I would suspect that you'd see other people leaving the campground in full garb or see things like fairy bumper stickers or other "nerd" related geek on the car itself. 

Orphena

Thanks for your replies!

I've decided to make us a banner - heraldic style of shield (fabric) with some symbolic images painted on.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic once it's done!

Hoping to fly it proudly at our camping excursion in Michigan on Labour Day!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Jade

Always meant to run into you sometime in the Michigan faire, but now alas I'm in Kansas.

Rani Zemirah

My daughter and I also usually camp at Faire, if we are going to TRF, and we tend to stay in garb until bedtime, although frequently with slightly loosened laces, or perhaps just chemise and skirt with cloak or shawl if it turns off chilly.  Once or twice we've been there when the temperatures have dipped into the very low 30's, and once into the upper 20's (over Celtic Christmas {Thanksgiving} weekend a few years ago) overnight... and at that point we were wearing tights, leggings, 3-4 skirts/petticoats, long sleeved t-shirts under our chemises, bodice, cloak and shawls... along with hats, gloves and hand warmers in both gloves AND socks!

It was... glorious!  We almost never get to wear any of our cold weather garb, so we wore as much as we could while still being able to move!  LOL 

Generally, however, we're either in the day's garb, garb "lite", or something reminiscent of garb that still holds the general theme while offering a bit more comfort and a bit less boning.  It's fun to enjoy the campfire or wander between the various camps/clan enclaves and feel a bit like we're still inside the gates.  It's like carrying Faire with us all weekend long.  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede