News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Weather?

Started by Craigmeister, July 27, 2008, 01:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

I'm going to KCRF during it's opening weekend.  What's the weather usually like on the last weekend in August around Kansas City?  Is it still bloody hot like in northeast Oklahoma?  I went to KCRF a few Octobers ago & it was bloody cold.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Amyj

Weeeelllllllll...It could be bloody hot...or bloody cold (not as good a chance of cold in August though).  Here in St. Louis, must on the other side of the state, it seems that I remember most of the last few Labor Days have either been hot and humid or pleasantly warm.  I would say wear the warm weather garb and bring a light cloak or sleves that could be added on the off chance it's cool.  More likely it will be a choice between will it be sunny or rainy.  I'm hoping to make it up for Sat and Sun of opening weekend if work schedule will allow...should be a blast either way!
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

TKM

really? i dont think i've ever been to a cold faire day. but yes, august 30th, expect some nasty heat unless there's a storm or such

Amyj

TKM, man, you have lucked out!!!  The second year we went to KC with our friend who was wearing a kilt for the first time...about 45-50 degrees at night, and only about 60s during the day...with straight line horizontal rain off and on!  Woooo!!!  Poor guy, he demanded a pair of pants to wear the next year!!! Ha ha ha!  I remember stopping at Wally World and getting 6 yds of a rubber backed burlap-ish fabric, cutting it into 3 sections and using a ton of giant safety pins to fashion "cloaks" for us so we wouldn't freeze!  Of course, that was later in the season... the next year it was upper 80's in October.  Go figure.  Midwest weather, gotta love it!!!!  :P
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Emerald Shaunassey

Craigmeister,
     Brace for traditional NE Ok August weather - like the heat advisories we are now having.  Bring cool clothes, LOTS of water, and a ton of sunscreen.  Take the day slowly and pace yourself.  Visit the open areas of the faire during the morning and stay to the shade during the heat of the day.  And should you begin to feel poorly, do not hesitate to get to the First Aid station or get hold of one of the SSAMs, or anyone else with a radio. 

Enjoy KCRF!
Emerald
she who has by turns roasted by the sun and frozen by snow all in the same season at KCRF
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Amyj

Craigmeister-
One of the really wonderful things about KCRF is that the grounds are nicely wooded so there are plenty of opportunities for shade if needed!  Have a wonderful time!!!! (and at the end of the day on Monday try to be near a turkey leg booth...they often have crazy great discounts!)
Historically Accur-ISH

Woodland Artisan

Craigmeister,

Yes, bloody hot.  Late September / early October is the transition point these past several years.  Used to be that it was early September and even a little into August that the temps would start creeping down out of the 90's.  Not anymore.  "Officially", the average high at the end of August for KC is 88 F.  But, that's averaging from back into the early 1970's.  It must be around 92 F if averaging the past 6 years now.

Of course, you could always catch a break and it be in the middle 80's that weekend (but, then that usually means rain/storms).  You just never know in this region.

So ... plan for HOT