News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

places to stay?

Started by Jade, July 06, 2014, 12:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade

I'm new to the "area". I'm moving to Garden City, ks at the end of July, and really want to attend. I know Larkspur is closer, but I can't make that one. I will need a inexpensive place to stay, because moving is going to cost an arm and a leg and I'll have very little disposable income. Any suggestions?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

quite close to faire (a mile or so) are a Holiday Inn Express and Super 8 in Bonner Springs, we have stayed at both and the Super 8 is quite reasonable.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Tamtaro

Wow!  You're right in between two really great festivals!  I'm about 2.5 hours east of KCRF, so we drive there and back in one day.  I have heard that Lawrence, KS is a nice little town 30 minutes west of KCRF with more hotel options.  It would be on your way and save ~20 a night.  I think it would be worth the little bit extra to stay in Bonner Springs just a block away from the festival!!  I've heard the Super 8 is cheap and clean.  Both Holiday Inn Express & Super 8 have pools and breakfast.  Free breakfasts are good, but may I recommend the crepe booth for second breakfast?  HA!!  Love me some crepes! ;D

Jade

Thanks both for the help! I'll check them both out! I too love crepes. There's a crepe place here in Michigan in Frankenmuth that's divine! Weird thing to have in a German town, but amazing!

Butch

We used the Super 8 last October for the RenDezVous, and I did not hear any complaints from any of the attendees regarding their rooms (and I probably would have been in that loop).  And though I live fairly local (about 30-45 minutes away) I stayed there myself during RenDezVous to be close to all the events!  The Super 8 staff members were very supportive, and the property is very close to the fairgrounds.  I know that several performers stay at this location.  I believe that they also do a Renaissance Pkg deal that includes both a room and tickets, give them a call to see if they are gonna do it on the weekend you're planning.  Finally, I do remember them having a clean breakfast area with decent chow.

Keep us posted as to when you're coming!

Rowan MacD

I used one of the Super 8's last time I was at KCRF in 2006.  Very reasonable.

KC (like Omaha) is a convention town- so lodging is plentiful.   You may want to consider attending on one of the weekends when the NASCAR races at the nearby Kansas City Speedway are not happening-the expressway is a nightmare when that happens.   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Jade

Very good tip Rowen, thanks. I can only imagine, and I certainly don't need that headache!

Thanks for info about the Renaissance package Butch, I'll certainly do that! Do you remember how it was done? I.e how many tickets were given?

Butch

They are at (913) 721-3877.  Last year they were very helpful.  Give them a call and see what the particulars are this year (or if they are even doing it).  I BELIEVE that the deal last year was one ticket per room per night, but I may be mistaken as I did not take advantage of the offer.

Give them a call and see if they wanna work out a deal!  They were very friendly last year!

Feel free to post on this forum if you need assistance/advice. 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on July 17, 2014, 01:16:16 PM
They are at (913) 721-3877.  Last year they were very helpful.  Give them a call and see what the particulars are this year (or if they are even doing it).  I BELIEVE that the deal last year was one ticket per room per night, but I may be mistaken as I did not take advantage of the offer.

Give them a call and see if they wanna work out a deal!  They were very friendly last year!

Feel free to post on this forum if you need assistance/advice.

Butch, wasn't the ticket deal worked out with the faire for rendezvous?  At least we did not get ours directly from the hotel.

By the way, we used to stay at the Holiday Inn Express across the lot and it has become quite expensive.  We we impressed with the Super 8 and will stay there from now on.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on July 17, 2014, 02:48:24 PM
Butch, wasn't the ticket deal worked out with the faire for rendezvous? 

You're probably right, but something sticks in my head that they have/had some kinda combo deal.  They just sweetened it for us-like regular room charge includes the ticket?  But I do remember that people who booked theirs online did not get in on it, just those who called and got on the list.

Jade

Well happily, I just discovered that they do the same thing mirf does with their fairy house contest, which is to offer two free tickets if you enter a fairy home. I had already gotten everything for my house prior to discovering I'd be moving before Michigan's festival, so this makes me quite excited!

Jade

Looks like I'll be coming down for the first weekend. Looking forward to it! Hope to meet some of you there!

HunterRose13

We have made the Super 8 our go to for KCRF.  It is so nice to be able to put garb on in our room before faire and this year we are staying over an extra day so we can go back to the room, clean up, and go to supper rather than piling in a car for the long drive home.

Jade

Unfortunately, they were sold out. I'm staying at a hotel in KC, about 12 minutes away.