News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pattern for an underbust corset (Victorian/fashion)?

Started by gem, August 30, 2014, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch

"There are times when I seriously consider doing a People of Walmart Renn Faire edition..."
That would be hilarious!

I do see what you mean, and I prefer to construct and wear historical clothing as was the style at the time.  And if I see another person in the lanes that seems to be of that mind as well, I very well might strike up a conversation with them regarding their garb.

The garb I make for others, I also try to make as H/A as possible.  But sometimes the customer DOESN'T WANT spiral lacing; or they WANT big brass grommets.  Whatever.  I do what they want, because I want them to be comfortable wearing the garb.

But, on another thread, there was a discussion that came up talking about who spends the most money at these things (the Ren Faires).  The consensus was that it's more the people who come out once or twice a year, and may not stay the whole day.  People like us (here on the R/F site) go AS MUCH AS WE CAN!  And sure, like most of us, I'm quite generous with my tips, and I'll buy from vendors; but I prefer to make my own garb and accoutrements.  So, in my opinion, if someone gets some article of clothing and incorporates it into an outfit that they think is fitting (er, appropriate?), more power to them!  It sure makes the vendors happy!

Would I wear a kilt and no shirt?  HECK no!  But I've seen guys who weigh 100 or more lbs than me do just that!

And as you say, women wearing the under-bust corsets without any support?  Sometimes you wonder if they looked in the mirror before going out in public.

But, if they're comfortable, and still not showing any skin that would change a PG movie to R, I'm of the school that says "Welcome to Canterbury!".

I'm truly motivated to get the under bust done for my daughter!  I can't wait to see Gem and her family in the lanes!  She always has such marvelous pieces to show!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Here is the Underbust Corset I have that I ordered from the internet that I have worn a couple of times now. It doubles for both a Steampunk and Pirate look, depending on the added accessories...

The SIMPLICITY Underbust corset I made for my eldest Grand daughter. The center point can be altered a bit to be more rounded.

I hear you Butch and Isabella about the People of Walmart Ren Faire edition. I tend to keep my snickers to myself. At least people are making an effort to dress up, even though it's more appropriate for when there is a Day of Wrong.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

"I hear you Butch and Isabella about the People of Walmart Ren Faire edition. I tend to keep my snickers to myself. At least people are making an effort to dress up, even though it's more appropriate for when there is a Day of Wrong."

Honestly, some of the things I saw last weekend wouldn't even work for Day of Wrong.  There really isn't enough brain bleach in the world for all the beach attire I saw.  Even some of the guys were wearing what I called Polynesian beach coverup skirts...and nothing else. 

Also, ladies, please, double check before you leave the house that your skirt/pants/blouse isn't see through.  It might not be indoors but in the sun it very well can be.  I noticed quite a few ladies showing off what color underwear they had - and what style- without realizing it.  (And there really is no good way to go up to someone and say "So I see you went with the French cut briefs in blue today!")  I remember the story of a lady who was camping at a Renn Faire and would come out every morning in her chemise, start the fire, and make a privy run.  One day, she got up a bit later, and noticed when she was reaching for something that, the way the sun was shining, you could see right through her chemise.  Horrified, she asked one of her friends why he didn't say anything.  His response?  "Oh! We thought you knew." 

gypsylakat

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 05, 2014, 11:25:59 AM
"
(And there really is no good way to go up to someone and say "So I see you went with the French cut briefs in blue today!")
I am NOT afraid to say this to someone who I think doesn't know- I did it on campus once because someone was rocking the "tights as pants" look with a t-shirt and polka dotted panties. I'd want someone to tell me- the way I figure it the conversation can only go a few ways.
1. The girl says OMG thank you and is able to correct a wardrobe malfunction (bonus: may have made a new friend)
2. The girl says Yeah, I know and goes on about her day (different strokes for different folks)
3. She says "ugh why are you looking at my butt" (bonus: I know she and I will not be good friends ever)
4. She says nothing because she's embarrassed, but has the option to go fix the wardrobe malfunction
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Rowan MacD

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 05, 2014, 11:25:59 AM
"I hear you Butch and Isabella about the People of Walmart Ren Faire edition. I tend to keep my snickers to myself. At least people are making an effort to dress up, even though it's more appropriate for when there is a Day of Wrong."
Also, ladies, please, double check before you leave the house that your skirt/pants/blouse isn't see through.  It might not be indoors but in the sun it very well can be.  I noticed quite a few ladies showing off what color underwear they had - and what style- without realizing it.
Seen too frequently at faire-A short sleeved wench blouse worn too tightly-in an almost transparent bubble fabric, paired with an under bust corset/waist cincher.... and nothing else.
  Please wear a bra.  Underbust anything does not  provide any support for the bust. The saggy, spillover look is NOT provocative; particularly if the assets on display are not small and firm, or large and artificially enhanced- Even then-wear a bra. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt