News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First time dressing up--how to get the fantastic Ren Faire cleavage effect

Started by makemeloislane, September 12, 2014, 11:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makemeloislane

I am actually dressing up for the very first time this year and I am having trouble figuring out how all the lovely Ren Faire ladies get that fantastic cleavage. I have 34D's so I know I have enough to get the effect but I'm not too sure how to do it. Should I buy a corset? A bustier? Tape them up? I'd appreciate any suggestions :)

isabelladangelo

First, are you sure this is something you want to do?  It's a) fantasy and b)a look I know a lot of women have ended up regretting.  The look will invite the creeps and that's not necessarily something you want.  It's also not flattering as many women end up looking like they are carrying flesh toned jello around in their chemise by the end of the day.   

If you are sure you want this look, any low cut bodice that is at least 2inches smaller around the bust that you currently are (your bust measurement and your bra measurement are different!) will work. 

Lady Renee Buchanan

I, also, am "gifted" in the same area.  My husband loves looking at the girls!  Although well=made bodices can be worn without a bra, I prefer to wear one.  To me, it's more comfortable.  Invest in a good VS bra.  They are not cheap, but it will last for many years if you are going to use it for faire. 

If you do decide to go bra-less, bodices from Moresca, Pendragon, Hearts Delight, Odd Bodkin  (I'm sure there are probably more but this is what I am familiar with), have enough boning that gives the support that you will need.  I suggest you try on several different bodices at faire from different vendors to see which feel most comfortable and give you the look you want.

Some people wear corsets under bodices, but in our miserably hot faire weather, it's too hot for me.

Just beware of  the puppies showing, and the "shelf effect"  aka   "ti** on a platter."
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gem

The key is getting great support and structure from your undergarments. Start with a decent bra (unlike Lady Renee, I go with a cheap T-shirt bra--it only has to hold my assets in place; the bodice will do the rest. But experiment and see what works best for you). Then make sure your bodice fits snugly, and by "snugly," I mean you should think, "this will never close!" when you put it on. If the edges meet easily, it's too big. I think the most critical part of the fit is around the ribcage, just like the band of your bra is the most critical part to fit correctly. That's what's going to hold you up.

Lace yourself halfway to 2/3 of the way up, and then perform the ELM, "Elizabethan Lift Maneuver." ;) Bend forward, reach inside your bra, and lift your assets into place, above the snug-fitting part at the ribcage. Don't go overboard (a crease near the armpit means you've been overzealous). Arrange your assets, then tug up on your chemise so that everything is flattering, but not indecent.

I think it's Margo Anderson who has the wonderful drawing of what a proper Elizabethan bustline should look like--gently swelling & rounded above the bodice, not sloshing all over the place. But I'm dashing off to fair at the moment and don't have time to look for it!

(If you are wearing a properly fitting pair of bodies--an Elizabethan corset--you won't need a bra. But it can still be helpful in wrangling your assets and will help you dress yourself, by yourself.)

DonaCatalina

Quote from: gem on September 13, 2014, 10:28:46 AM
I think the most critical part of the fit is around the ribcage, just like the band of your bra is the most critical part to fit correctly. That's what's going to hold you up.

Lace yourself halfway to 2/3 of the way up, and then perform the ELM, "Elizabethan Lift Maneuver." ;) Bend forward, reach inside your bra, and lift your assets into place, above the snug-fitting part at the ribcage. Don't go overboard (a crease near the armpit means you've been overzealous). Arrange your assets, then tug up on your chemise so that everything is flattering, but not indecent.

The ELM is also known as 'fluffing the puppies' so as not to shock the mundanes. The support from below is what is critical, as Gem has said. Too much pressure too high will make lumps come out the armpit, also known as the quadri-puppies.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gypsylakat

I don't care for wearing a bra with my bodice- too much stuff to poke you unless it's a soft almost sports bra type bra. Some are designed to wear a bra with (damsel in this dress advocates wearing a bra) (I'm a 36F, my bras are working overtime anyway)

Any bodice at fair (as long as it fits properly) will give you good lift, that's what they're designed to do- as Isabella said, anything that is 2 inches smaller will suck you in and push everything up. You may have to try a few designs to find the right balance between Heavage and Cleavage. I think I read somewhere that your bodice should be right around/just above your "pup's noses" and your chemise should be an inch or two above that.

ALSO- be careful of bodice burn if you are not used to displaying so much of your body! Even on overcast, fall days you need to lather up on the sunscreen- those parts have not seen the sun and will need protection!
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gypsylakat on September 15, 2014, 09:16:31 AM
   Any bodice at fair (as long as it fits properly) will give you good lift, that's what they're designed to do- as Isabella said, anything that is 2 inches smaller will suck you in and push everything up. You may have to try a few designs to find the right balance between Heavage and Cleavage. I think I read somewhere that your bodice should be right around/just above your "pup's noses" and your chemise should be an inch or two above that.
ALSO- be careful of bodice burn if you are not used to displaying so much of your body! Even on overcast, fall days you need to lather up on the sunscreen- those parts have not seen the sun and will need protection!

I assume you are going for the 'wench' look?  I don't do that anymore, but as a beginner garb; it seems to be the most popular for many ladies.  It's a relatively cheap, comfortable garbing option, and can look good if done right.
  While frequently seen at faire, as Isabella has mentioned-it's not at all Historical.   I seriously doubt ANY woman in period ran around with her chest exposed like we see nowadays.  She would have been arrested.
  But if that's your thing- As gypsykat says- there is a well defined line between 'Heavage' and 'Cleavage.'   Both are sought after effects; depending on what image you wish to convey.

For clarity:  Cleavage is what you see at a club, at the Oscars, etc.   A firmly rounded though pronounced swell that is secure, and does not look like it's just a bump away from indecency.   If done right-your assets look abundantly generous,  attractive in a lovely frame of ruffles, lace or peeking above the top of a daringly cut and well fitted bodice. What is suggested, but unseen, is what is alluring.
   'Puppies' (nipples and aureola) are well covered and undetectable under the chemise.

Heavage is a term generally reserved for (mostly) very well endowed ladies wearing little if any upper undergarments, usually under a very thin chemise, frequently leaving very little to the imagination.  They generally wear very tight corsets/bodices for greater effect, the breasts are forced up as high as possible and as far forward as they can go achieving horizontal cleavage, and the chemise/bodice edge is worn as low as decently possible. 

Seriously, you don't need to show practically your entire breast to convince folks you have large ones.   If you are showing more than 1/3 you are probably showing too much.   

Sun screen is always advised.  An interesting bodice burn on delicate, normally protected skin is not only painful, but your older self will thank you when your neck and chest don't end up a wrinkled, leathery mess by your 40's.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Most of faire is not historically accurate.  I for one like the cleavage and the heavage  ;)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

LadyStitch

I will say the lacings on your bodice/ corset  are important.  It you are lacing yourself you could get one look vs having another person.  My DH has gotten very good at lacing me into my bodice.  Just as a good bra lifts and supports  so should your bodice.  I see so many people who think if they tighten the laces at the bottom it will push it all to the top.  All that will do is make you pass out in the dirt.  A gradual pull in , then adjust, then tighten where you want more support. The only time I have purposefully hurt someone in a theater setting is when I caught a guy tight lacing one of my actresses and she was passing out, and he was STILL tightening the laces to give her more cleavage.  I body slammed him out of the way, loosed her corset, and then properly laced her up myself.   Don't let anyone lace you in unless they know what they are doing.    Worse case have someone do their best, then have a clerk in a store help you.  I've done that a few times when my weight fluxuated and I needed help getting it right.

Just as you wouldn't get a cheap bra, don't get a cheap corset/ bodice.  I have seen many a girl be miserable because they can't get the support they want from the cheap corset/bodice.  Yes you may get sticker shock at the brands that Lady Renne suggested, but  there is a reason we recommend them.  I would only add 'Wench in Gear"  to her list.   Any of those suggested, when laced right can support you and hold you in such way to get the support you want. 

Each brand has a different fit, so it is best to try some on.  The main thing is get something that supports, and lifts you the way you want.  And get put into it properly. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

Gauwyn and Merlin-Rogues! The both of you  ;D

I second LadyStitch- the really good quality bodices will cost you.  My two favorite Non-HA sources are Damsel in this Dress and Moresca.   
   Moresca leans more toward 'Carnival' styles :
   http://www.moresca.com/ 
  You can't beat them for well constructed and well boned Bliss-Moresca guarantees their bodices, and will repair torn grommets and certain other damage usually for free.  I personally own 2-a Max and a Max II. 

*A rule of thumb: If the only boning the bodice has is next to the grommets-then it's not meant to be used to do any serious 'squishing'.  Especially if it only has 2 layers or regular fabric-like most 'reversible' bodices do.  They will rip and tear after a couple of wearings.

Damsel In This Dress provides the same high level of quality as Moresca and is more 'Wenchy' but beware the copycats; they are everywhere!
   I was finding knockoffs of her designs at just about every garb vendor at all the faires this year; and they are NOT nearly as well constructed.   Even less so if you buy a look alike from Ebay.   Like most cheaper bodices-The knockoffs will not tolerate any significant tight lacing or 'squishing', without popping grommets and seams. 
   Damsel's corsets and corset coats are designed to be laced tightly, AND they look amazing on the curvy figure.
   http://damseldress.com/store/index/category/42/renaissance

There are other bodice vendors that make lovely items but theses two are more along the line of what a 'wench' would want.
IWG wench #3139 

arbcoind

I have 3 Moresca pirate bodices.  They are extremely well made, comfortable and lift the girls just right.   In my avatar I'm wearing a Moresca faerie bodice.

Gina B. Burkett

Rowan MacD

Morseca bodices are sooooo flattering-especially the Pirate.   That style is famous for paring 5+" off the appearance of your waist.   Very popular.

*Note* If you go with Moresca, you will be required to provide your measurements before they fill any orders:  Moresca sizes run small, which is why they insist on it.
  I don't know how the Pirate style is sized, but in the Mega and Max's -a Medium is 26"-30" waist.  The bust is not much bigger-they are designed to smash you flat and push everything up-this can be uncomfortable for those of us over a 'C' cup.   However, you don't need a bra.
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My girls are a lot smaller now due to losing 57 pounds. I bought a Pendragon bodice at Bristol last mknth and love it. I get a little bump going.braless.

Showing some cleavage is ok. Too much, why bother?
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Butch