News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First time dressing up--how to get the fantastic Ren Faire cleavage effect

Started by makemeloislane, September 12, 2014, 11:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Rowen, have you suggested a partlet to her?   Partlets can be worn over the top of a bodice, rather than being tied under.  A linen partlet - particularly a lightweight white one- might be helpful for her. It might be a bit cooler (particularly out of linen) and less likely to slip since it's tied at the sides and front, typically. 

PollyPoPo

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 18, 2014, 10:41:59 PM
Rowen, have you suggested a partlet to her?   Partlets can be worn over the top of a bodice, rather than being tied under.  A linen partlet - particularly a lightweight white one- might be helpful for her. It might be a bit cooler (particularly out of linen) and less likely to slip since it's tied at the sides and front, typically. 

Isabell, do you have links to any pix of what that would look like?  My daughter had radiation last year and have to stay covered in the front from chin to waist from now on.  She's been wearing medieval wimple, hood, all that, but at Sherwood (even in Feb/March), it gets heavy and hot. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

isabelladangelo

Quote from: PollyPoPo on September 19, 2014, 09:49:11 AM

Isabell, do you have links to any pix of what that would look like?  My daughter had radiation last year and have to stay covered in the front from chin to waist from now on.  She's been wearing medieval wimple, hood, all that, but at Sherwood (even in Feb/March), it gets heavy and hot.

Of course!   There are SEVERAL different kinds.  The most common colors are black (out of wool or velvet) and white (out of linen).  However, Queen Mary I (Bloody Mary) is often shown wearing brocade or even cut velvet partlets that match the rest of her gown. 

These two above are examples of Flemish partlets.  In both cases, I've included images that show the partlet over the dress - however, there are just as many examples of the partlets being worn under the gown.   Pretty much all Flemish (and other countries!) partlets have necks/collars but they aren't always closed.

The two above are examples of Italian partlets.  The first image is from the middle of the 16th Century and the other is from the late 15th Century.  Although Italian partlets could have collars, the ones I've included do not.  Again, they could be worn under the gown (the middle of the 16th C one normally was) but since some people might want to take them off indoors, I'm showing only over partlets.   The Italians tended to use sheer fabrics - if you were of the wealthier class.  However, their are several examples of the middle and lower classes just using linen (or thin cotton as this is Italy). 

The nice thing about partlets is they do protect your shoulders and neck from the sun - assuming you are using a lightweight linen.   For winter, partlets tended to look more like this:

If you do a search on flemish partlets or 16th century partlets, you'll see TONS of blog articles on making these.  They are pretty simple and they are easily stuffed into a purse/basket when you don't need them. 

PollyPoPo

Thanks for the pix of partlets worn on the outside.  I had seen lots on the inside, but these give me an idea of what they look like on the outside.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Rowan MacD

Yes I have-In fact, she is looking in to making something like this for next summer, after I explained that 'partlet' does not necessarily=noble garb.   
  She likes to display some cleavage, but she has finally resigned herself to the fact that she cannot do so in the sun without turning an unbecoming shade of red.
  The shawl she uses outdoors, even though it's light, is still too hot for her- and a parasol can be a pain if you don't have somewhere to carry it when you need your hands free, or aren't using it.
  Her persona is a mix of non-HA wenchy/market girl: Plain, un-patterned skirts in primary colors, worn in layers so that the outer skirt(s) can be hitched up, a simple underbust bodice and chemise.   She wears a straw hat to shade her face.
  When she is out with her cart-she keeps her chest/neck covered (she wears her hair in a snood which does not always provide neck protection), and I have told her that a plain linen partlet, in white or a contrasting color to her bodice, would be small, portable and easily removable when indoors.
  An added bonus is that they are a project suitable for beginning sewers; which really helps,  since I don't know of any online vendors that sell them. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt