News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Finery?

Started by jacilee, October 03, 2014, 08:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

One lesson I learned quickly was have a fitting form in a pdf file that clients can print out to get the measurements I need when making bodices or doublets.  I make 2 muslins, one for the client and one for me. If I need to make alterations, I do that to my muslin before I cut out the other fabrics. Perfect fit or near to it.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

The Wee Wench

Hello!  I think it's very wise to check with this community before ordering garb.  As the proprietress and seamstress of Faire Finery, I can't say that my way is better than anyone else's, but I can clarify a few things.

1.  I don't use upholstery fabrics with a rubber backing.  That's just silly, and would would make for quite an uncomfortable bodice.  I also rarely use drapery fabrics because they are usually very lightweight (not supportive) and often have a printed design rather than a woven design.  I DO use upholstery fabrics because they are sumptuous, usually heavy weight, are rather expensive and have a woven design rather than a printed design.
2.  I do use metal grommets but they are machine pressed and I use a punch to remove a tiny circle of fabric before applying the metal grommets.  Hand sewing eyelets is labor intensive and I would not be able to charge the reasonable rates I do if I did my grommets any other way.   
3.  In my standard reversible bodice, I use eight pieces of supportive boning, two along the front openings, four in the side seams, and two set in at an angle in the front sections.  These last two pieces are 1/2  inch coated steel boning which have been sewn into heavyweight bone casing, which is then sewn into one side of the upholstery weight fabrics.  The boning stitching is sometimes visible on this side, but I do it in a way that is unobtrusive.  There are four pieces of 1/4 inch coated steel boning sewn into the side seams.  In the front sections alongside the opening, there are two pieces of 1/2 inch boning sewn in beside the grommets.  If a very tight fit is requested, I use steel boning here.  If a medium or comfortable fit is requested, I use a super heavy weight (commercial grade) poly boning in these sections.  In my middle class and court gown bodices (which are not reversible), even more boning is used.  All bodices also contain a layer of heavy decor weight interfacing.
3. There is most certainly such a thing as a reversible bodice.  :)  I've been making them for more than a decade and wear them myself when I attend faires as a patron.
4. As for getting the proper fit, I have a tried and true system for taking measurements which is fully illustrated on a real female body on my website.  I need five pieces of information in order to make a bodice that will fit you perfectly; and if you study my photos carefully, take the measurements accurately, you'll get a beautifully tailored bodice.
5. As for using a dress form to display my garb, it's a matter of practicality.  Every time I make a new ensemble, I can't hire a model to display it for me.  However, you can see that the models on my website look lovely in the garb I made especially for their bodies.
6.  My eBay store is closed because my business is booming on Etsy and my website.  When I need to stem the tide of sales, I close my eBay store.  Three online venues can be overwhelming during the busy season.

Honestly, I'm not trying to sell anyone on my services...I have plenty of work to keep me busy.  Buy from whomever you feel comfortable, but know that I'm always happy to answer questions directly, as are any reputable sellers.  Do your homework, check the seller's Etsy and eBay reviews if possible, and check with this or other Renaissance forums.  The best of luck to you!
-Nicki-

Rowan MacD

First, thank you for your clarification and feed back!
   From what you tell us, your products are certainly above the average quality for the price., and you have some glowing testimonials.
   May your business continue to thrive. Wish we had more like you!

By way of explanation:  A few of use have had bad experiences with online vendors; thus the cautionary comments. 
   If you wish to review some of those stories, I believe some of them can be found here, and in a few other threads:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php/topic,9744.0.html   

Finding a good to excellent vendor is getting harder every day: particularly with the proliferation of Asian seamstresses generating tons of cheap knock offs, at impossibly low prices.  Someone using them for a first time purchase may (and have) be put off buying from anyone online again.
    I, personally have purchased a couple of items from online vendors that I have never worn, because they were so badly made, and looked even worse once they were actually tried on.  They were not returnable.
That particular vendor used manikins exclusively to display her goods, and requested 4 different measurements.  She swore the items were custom made; but somehow she was able to have them to me in under 2 weeks.   I was new to garbing and naive to think that all vendors are equal.
   My bad.  Never again.

Our comments are less to discourage online shopping, than to encourage people to be more realistic about what they will get.   
  The seller will always display their wares in the best possible way-this is a given; and they would be foolish not to.  You do not generally see those wares shown in larger sizes, or on a live model.   What looks good on a size 2 mannikin with little to no curves may not look so good on someone with a less than perfect figure.     Thus I will encourage some folks to try before they buy, or at least get feedback (preferably pictures) of someone wearing the garb on a similar figure to their own.
   If they like a vendor they will come back for more garb, but there is a sector of vendors (described above) who rely on volume rather than return business.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt