News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

was it weird...

Started by Lady Anne of Kent, July 27, 2008, 06:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Anne of Kent

Question...was it weird the first time you dressed up? We are going to be at TRF and after a few years of Scarby, I'm desperate to dress the part. I'm nervous that I won't have everything I need for the costume when the time comes. And is it weird dressing up as a noble with "the court" and their nobles around also??

jinx

I can't answer for dressing as a noble, but getting into garb -really- made me enjoy the Faire that much more.  The most important thing is that you feel really good in the garb you're wearing.  It's like wearing your day to day clothes.  We all have those outfits that we look good in, and that gives us a boost of confidence...but we also have those outfits that make us feel uncomfortable, and that's kind of a deal breaker.  In garb, you may notice some increased interaction with the cast, as well as getting asked if you work there.  Really, though, as I said, for me...it really made Faire seem more like home.

As for not having everything when the time comes, don't sweat it.  I've been building my garb wardrobe for a good few years now, and I -still- don't feel like I have everything I need.  So long as you've got enough to be decent, you're good.  It's been my experience that people -never- feel like they've got everything.  There's always one more bit to add.  ^.^  Once that garb bug bites, it does not let go. 

Again, just really enjoy yourself, because that's what matters most!
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

Amyj

I was honestly petrified the first time I garbed up for faire (only my second time TO faire at that).  I'd looked through a ton of other people's websites with their pictures, and it seemed to me that everyone in the pictures just "knew" what they were doing or were "in" on the game....and I didn't even really know what the game was.  Add in to the mix (and this will shock those who have met me...) I'm really painfully shy.  I have to FORCE myself to go "out there" in new situations.  Once I'm familiar with the situation, well...it's a completely different story.  That said, I and my boyfriend garbed up in the outfits I made us based on my photo-research.  The garb was, let's say 40% faire accurate...not even CLOSE to historically accurate...and I had a BLAST!!!  I've never looked back.  I have dressed as a noble at faire (I think you will find that cast treats you as one of their own to a point...bowing and treating you with the respect your "station" would demand...at least at St. Louis they did), but I prefer lower to middle class.  I tell people that it's a whole different world at faire when you are in garb...and I love it!!!

What I'm trying to say in my long, effusive way is...GARB MY FRIEND, garb and enjoy!!!  Wear what you have and have a blast with the never ending game of adding to the garb!  It's addictive and wonderful.  Don't worry about looking "right"...throw on a fluffy shirt, a full skirt and you are set!!!  Go for it and have a wonderful time!!!!!
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

LadyMeg

Well... I first day in garb was my first day at faire ('cause I couldn't go more than an hour without buying an outfit... and at the time, my father was very generous to purchase one for me).  Granted, not even close to what I have now originality wise (though I LOVE those pieces) and just fit right in.  As for 'noble,' I did that for the first year last year and have found that if you treat the Court with respect, you will recieve the same treatment.  Besides, as a noble, you get alot more 'my ladies' and bows from the other cast members.  Don't worry and just have a fun time with your clothes.  I'm sure after the first half hour, you won't feel 'weird' at all!
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

theChuck

At first I felt a little weird, but once I realized that I fit in, it became much more comfortable. Like amyj above I was a little shy so I didn't really talk to anyone except my friends, but hopefully this year I can get a little more courage..
The Renlist - find faires near you!

gem

Really?  No.  Not at all.  In fact, I feel loads "weirder" if I *don't* go in garb!  There's something about donning the "appropriate" clothes for whatever venue/event/environment you're in that actually INCREASES your comfort factor.  Wearing mundanes to fair, to me, feels a bit like coming under-dressed to a wedding, or overdressed to a job interview.  You'll feel so much more a part of the scene if you're dressed to match.

And *nobody's* garb is complete the first time out.  You will always find something else you need.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

In do know that dressing up as a Nobleman or Woman is weird after wearing lesser garb for several years. People who work at Faire treat you differently, that is for sure.

Either a Wench or as a Noble, I still have a great time. Wearing garb makes one feel more a part of the festival as a participant than an observer.

I am with Lady Meg that it is weird NOT to be in garb when at Faire.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Margaret

The first time I went dressed as part of the upper class - IT WAS AWESOME!!   ;D

It was also the first time I had gotten a bit more 'in to' faire - I just wasn't Susie walking around in a funny looking dress, I was Mistress Margaret Baynham come from Lavenham in hopes of petitioning the Queen.

I had not gotten to thru the gates before people were bowing to me and refering to me as My Lady.  It rocked.  It was a bit more difficult to move through crowds because of the farthingale, but all that took was a bit of practice.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

nliedel

I'm in cast at MIRF and this is the first time in years I've not dressed as Italian Nobility. I'm still Italian, but I'm a merchant class. It's killing me. LOL!!
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

CapnFayeCutler

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on July 27, 2008, 11:39:03 PM

In do know that dressing up as a Nobleman or Woman is weird after wearing lesser garb for several years. People who work at Faire treat you differently, that is for sure.

That is so true! I started going noble a couple of years ago (noble one day, pirate or wench the other...throws them off!) and I was kinda nervous at first because they were treating me differently, and I was having to stop a lot more for photos...not that I mind that. :D
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

WOW that was SO many years ago that I first started going to faire and dressing in garb almost 20 years ago. I was a bit nervous the first time and the first years my out fit would be call Fantasy or Dungeons and Dragons. A bit barbarian rangerish. I moved up to higher quality garb about 13 years ago and kept that same outfit for a long time. It was actually what I wore at my 1st and so far only wedding. Three years ago I went more noble but the outfit was no where near complete. I still have it and may wear it again someday now that I have pieces to make it complete. Last year I went in wench wear and had fun. This year I wnt noble full on and was even confused to be the queen both times I wore my dress. I changed the dress upo this last weekends visit to a noble dress I had never worn. I was a bit more vervous withthis dress as I have had it for three years and never wore it. I also didn't want to get snarked... no one ever does.

It can be scary at first because as a noble you want to look your 110% best and to fit in. But the most important part is to just have fun and enjoy yourself.

Have fun as a noble. Once you go noble you really don't want to go lower class again... at least I don't
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Master James

Well I went from a wealthy upper middle class merchant to a noble 2 years ago and it was a bit intimidating for sure.  Now I was on cast the first time I played a noble so that added to the intimidation as I was more concerned about not screwing up.   ;D  As far as you not having everything, like everyone else said, don't sweat it.  You don't have to be perfect out of the gate and you can add to your ensemble as you can.  The only real caution with playing a noble I might suggest is to ensure that whatever character you choose is not already being portrayed by an actor at the faire.  It could be a bit confusing to have 2 Countess of Shrewsbury for example and its not really fair to the actor portraying her.  I always check the faire's court list of characters before attending any faire to ensure that does not happen.  If perchance someone is playing Baron Buckhurst, then I would simply change my name for the weekend to another Baron that is not being portrayed at the faire.  Have fun with it and enjoy the attention you will be getting!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

DonaCatalina

My very first time we rented garb. I was hooked but Faire was over so we joined the SCA and were ready with our own garb the next time Scarby opened.

My first efforts were pretty horrendous, but over the years it has improved. A few years back we went once in mundanes.
We swore we would never do that again.
Have fun with your garb and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.
You'll probably be adding to your garb ensemble for years.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Neysa

The first time I dressed up I felt very nervous, like I had a big sign on me. I think Gem said it, kinda like that feeling you get when you go to an event and you're worried about being over or under dressed.  Or like going to a halloween party in costume, and when you arrive and you're getting out of the car, you think to yourself, "wait, this is a costume party, right?" The feeling didn't last long, though, after I got in the gates and saw all the other folk dressed up.  The ice was really broken the first time  a normal paytron asked to take my picture, even though at the time I was probably thinking, "why do you want to take
my picture?  

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It took me a while to absorb the aura of dressing up as a Countess, wife of an Earl. Ther amount of research needed to get the look and feel of dressing up as someone with "More Money Than Common Sense" is a never ending feat.

Even speaking in the Elizabethan style takes a time to get down just so that when conversing with the Nobles at a Faire or merchants is a trip in and of itself. It's all part of the character one is portraying.

But I have to say, dressing up is work!!  Of course the Earl always says,,,"Where are the servants when you need them?"   ;D
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde